619 replies to this topic

#61 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

they already have much increased 3rd party support, and mature games are plentiful, just within the launch window.
Zombi U is one of the killer ap launch titles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfltWviMqmQ

List of "mature" games currently announced for the Wii U, most coming out at launch or within the launch window
Mass effect 3: Special Edition
Assassin's creed 3
007 Legends
Aliens: Colonial Marines
Bayonetta 2 (exclusive)
Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Darksiders II
Demon Tribe
Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Online
Injustice: Gods Among Us
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (bloodier, harder, more weapons and characters, what NG3 SHOULD have been)
Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
ZombiU

I know mature games are all the rage but as an adult the game I want to play most is the "New Super Mario Bros U" Kids, adults doesnt matter. Nintendo always gets it right with this franchise. Gameplay>everything else.

Posted Image

#62 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,211 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:02 AM

I know mature games are all the rage but as an adult the game I want to play most is the "New Super Mario Bros U" Kids, adults doesnt matter. Nintendo always gets it right with this franchise. Gameplay>everything else.

agreed wholeheartedly, but the kid wanted "mature" games. It's funny, I only craved those games when I was a kid, when I actually grew up the gameplay became more important than anything else. the 2 games I'm getting at launch (in addition to the included Nintendoland, which also looks like a lot of fun) is New Super Mario Brothers U, and ZombiU. I guess I still like a little of both, but I expect to have the most fun with NSMBU, if I'm being perfectly honest. then again, I still love zombies, which is the real draw for zombiU (as is the gameplay which is completely unique and intriguing)

Edited by avelanch, 05 November 2012 - 09:07 AM.

#63 please recycle

please recycle

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

agreed wholeheartedly, but the kid wanted "mature" games. It's funny, I only craved those games when I was a kid, when I actually grew up the gameplay became more important than anything else. the 2 games I'm getting at launch (in addition to the included Nintendoland, which also looks like a lot of fun) is New Super Mario Brothers U, and ZombiU. I guess I still like a little of both, but I expect to have the most fun with NSMBU, if I'm being perfectly honest. then again, I still love zombies, which is the real draw for zombiU (as is the gameplay which is completely unique and intriguing)

While obviously how much someone enjoys a game is based on the person, it kinda seems hard to make a case for Super Mario Bros having superior (or more orignal depending on how you define better) gameplay mechanics than many, or really any, of the AAA releases for the other consoles.
Posted Image

#64 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,211 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 08:07 AM

While obviously how much someone enjoys a game is based on the person, it kinda seems hard to make a case for Super Mario Bros having superior (or more orignal depending on how you define better) gameplay mechanics than many, or really any, of the AAA releases for the other consoles.

and yet I enjoy it more than anything offered up on other consoles (basically a nonstop barrage of FPSs...)

#65 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,135 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

I'm sure this has already been mentioned regarding not being able to play used games (didn't bother reading past the first page).

So what happens when (not if) you have to replace your new XBOX 720 or PS4 as it will inevitably break down? If they cannot fix it? You buy a new console to replace it and you are SOL because the games you currently have won't play on a new system?

If this is in fact true, the new consoles will be like contestents on Steve Harvey's Family Feud. Doesn't matter who wins, both are losers for being out in public.
Kinda hot in these rhinos.

You are a worse psychiatrist than you are a son in law, and you will never get work as an actor because you have no talent.

#66 please recycle

please recycle

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

and yet I enjoy it more than anything offered up on other consoles (basically a nonstop barrage of FPSs...)

Definitely correct. You've cracked the code. Just a bunch of first person shooters. Anyone who plays games on a 360/ps3 is just a sheep gamer buying whatever Activision shoves down our throats.

The cases for all the games I own sure are misleading...

Edited by please recycle, 06 November 2012 - 09:57 AM.

Posted Image

#67 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,211 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

I'm sure this has already been mentioned regarding not being able to play used games (didn't bother reading past the first page).

So what happens when (not if) you have to replace your new XBOX 720 or PS4 as it will inevitably break down? If they cannot fix it? You buy a new console to replace it and you are SOL because the games you currently have won't play on a new system?

If this is in fact true, the new consoles will be like contestents on Steve Harvey's Family Feud. Doesn't matter who wins, both are losers for being out in public.

odds are fairly good the games are tied to you online account, so once you transfer your account to the new system you can redownload your games.

#68 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,211 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

Definitely correct. You've cracked the code. Just a bunch of first person shooters.

The cases for all the games I own sure are misleading...

what AAA releases on the system you own are not FPSs? just curious.

#69 please recycle

please recycle

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

what AAA releases on the system you own are not FPSs? just curious.

I'll stick to what could be considered AAA (hard to define)

Assassin's Creed II
Assassin's Creed III
Bioshock 2
Borderlands 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Dragon Age: Origins
Skyrim
Fallout 3
Fallout: New Vegas
Gears of War 3
Grand Theft Auto IV
LA Noire
Mass Effect 1/2/3
Max Payne 3
Red Dead Redemption
Resident Evil 5/6

There's more but probably not under the category of AAA

Edit: For the record (not that it should matter) I've never bought a Halo, CoD, Battlefield, or MoH game and yet I still constantly have a new game to play on my 360

Edited by please recycle, 06 November 2012 - 10:04 AM.

Posted Image

#70 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,211 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

ok, sorry, FPS and TPS, my bad.

#71 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,211 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

to be fair, i enjoy the occasional FPS TPS as much as anyone (Metroid prime and Other M respectively) but for me (opinion) the Mario franchise usually delivers a much more polished and fun experience than anything I've experienced on any other console.

#72 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,211 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

also, i was speaking facetiously about only FPS/TPS's

#73 please recycle

please recycle

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

to be fair, i enjoy the occasional FPS TPS as much as anyone (Metroid prime and Other M respectively) but for me (opinion) the Mario franchise usually delivers a much more polished and fun experience than anything I've experienced on any other console.

Fair enough, can't argue with your opinion. I also don't want to cause this thread to degrade into a pointless console war.

Just don't like the generalization that console gamers are angry teenagers yelling racist slurs over xbox live and shelling out $60 every month for a Call of Duty clone.
Posted Image

#74 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,211 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

Fair enough, can't argue with your opinion. I also don't want to cause this thread to degrade into a pointless console war.

Just don't like the generalization that console gamers are angry teenagers yelling racist slurs over xbox live and shelling out $60 every month for a Call of Duty clone.

that was quite the leap you made, Mario would be proud!

#75 please recycle

please recycle

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

that was quite the leap you made, Mario would be proud!

I guess? Not really changing my original opinion, just bowing out of what would have become a circular argument.
Posted Image

#76 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,614 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

With regards to mechanics and all, Mario has most every game beat, those listed games included. Not saying it's better than those games (although a few of those aren't really great), but with regards to it's mechanics, it does do things in a tighter and generally more innovative manner.

Edited by g_bassi13, 06 November 2012 - 11:19 AM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#77 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,911 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

Mario wasn't good after it got off the N64 and Game boy Colour/Advance.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#78 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,211 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

Mario wasn't good after it got off the N64 and Game boy Colour/Advance.

Galaxy and especially Galaxy 2 were both touted by everyone who played them (industry professionals and fans alike) as the greatest Mario games ever, and I'd have to agree.
New Super Mario Brothers for the DS, and it's wii counterpart are both at the top of the lists of 2d mario games. sure the GBA and GC had some less than stellar outing, but none of them were "not good"

#79 Masamune

Masamune

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:00 AM

ok, sorry, FPS and TPS, my bad.

Assassin's Creed is quite good and quite fun, although most of that list is shooters of some sort (Borderlands 2 is definitely a FPS, as the developers said the priority in development was to make it a FPS first and foremost).

I'm playing Rayman Origins on 360 right now, which I consider to be good competition for NSMB. I enjoy Final Fantasy XIII as a game, not so much as an RPG or story, but as a game that you play at least with great cinematics (PS: the battle system is about efficiency, not just mere survival).

Also, in the spirit of fairness, Halo 4 is pretty good. I like it the same way I like Cowboy Bebop english dubbed instead of subbed; despite the fact that most people will develop untrue ideas about how my tastes lack "culture."

All that being said, Mario is fantastic and I spent a few hours today on Galaxy 2 and a little more on Kart Wii (but only because I couldn't get Forza 4 :P).

#80 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,211 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

1 week, 8 hours and 38 min until the next generation of home consoles begins

#81 Masamune

Masamune

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

1 week, 8 hours and 38 min until the next generation of home consoles begins

It's weird... I want a Wii U, but I don't want any of the launch titles. Ah, well. I'll just wait for the smaller developers to start putting stuff out before I get one.

#82 KoreanHockeyFan

KoreanHockeyFan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,396 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

People are willing to pay 500 bucks for a new iPad every few years. Just saying.

#83 ChuckNORRIS4Cup

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:41 AM

I think it is pretty cool that I am on my xbox360 right now sending this message.
Posted Image

Trevor Linden Quote Nov. 29th 2012 [Asked if he would return to the game?]
"The game has been with me for a long time, if the right opportunity came about, you never know"

#84 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

Most PS3 games I've seen aren't even in 1080P.
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#85 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,211 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:45 AM

Most PS3 games I've seen aren't even in 1080P.

that's because the PS3 doesn't output in 1080P natively and most games have to be upscaled to 1080P. the few "true" 1080P games (few and far inbetween) have to go around all sorts of hoops in order to get enough out of the console to actually produce 1080P without chugging down, and most companies don't bother.

#86 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

that's because the PS3 doesn't output in 1080P natively and most games have to be upscaled to 1080P. the few "true" 1080P games (few and far inbetween) have to go around all sorts of hoops in order to get enough out of the console to actually produce 1080P without chugging down, and most companies don't bother.

http://wikibin.org/a...-ps3-games.html
Although the Playstation 3 has Full HD 1080p output, most games available at this moment have resolutions up to 720p.
It should be noted that the PlayStation 3 will downgrade the display of any game that only supports 720p to 480p on an HDTV that displays only 480i, 480p and 1080i signals, instead of upscaling the display to 1080i.
This is a list of games which have 1080p output (includes Native 1080p and Upscaled 1080p):
* 1942: Joint Strike
* Age of Booty
* Astro Tripper
* Bioshock
* Blast Factor
* The Bourne Conspiracy
* Burnout Paradise Requires deselecting 720p & 1080i from the Display Setup XMB screen.
* Call of Duty 4 Requires deselecting 720p & 1080i from the Display Setup XMB screen. *this is not correct it is native 720p only and will be downgraded to a lower res if you do this.
* Call of Duty: World at War
* Calling All Cars
* Civilization Revolution
* College Hoops 2K7
* Cuboid
* '
* Dead Space Requires deselecting 720p & 1080i from the Display Setup XMB screen.
* Echochrome
* Everyday Shooter
* Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
* Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli
* FIFA 09
* FIFA Street 3
* flOw
* Full Auto 2
* '
* '
* Gran Turismo HD (not in PSN store anymore)
* Gran Turismo 5: Prologue
* Grand Theft Auto IV Requires deselecting 720p & 1080i from the Display Setup XMB screen.
* High Velocity Bowling
* The Incredible Hulk
* Joust
* Kung Fu Panda
* Killzone 2 Requires deselecting 720p & 1080i from the Display Setup XMB screen. *this is not correct it is native 720p only and will be downgraded to a lower res if you do this.
* Lair
* The Last Guy
* Legendary
* LEGO Batman: The Videogame
* LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
* Linger in Shadows
* '
* Mainichi Issyo
* Mahjong Tales: Ancient Wisdom
* Marvel Ultimate Alliance
* Medal of Honor: Airborne
* Mega Man 9
* Mesmerize
* Metal Gear Solid 4
* Metal Gear Online
* Midnight Club: Los Angeles
* Mirror's Edge Requires deselecting 720p & 1080i from the Display Setup XMB screen.
* Mortal Kombat 2
* NBA 2007/2008/2009
* NBA 2K7/2K8/2K9
* NBA Street Homecourt Requires deselecting 720p & 1080i from the Display Setup XMB screen.
* NHL 2K8/2K9
* Ninja Gaiden Sigma
* NBA Street Homecourt
* Nucleus
* The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
* Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness Requires deselecting 720p & 1080i from the Display Setup XMB screen.
* PixelJunk Eden
* PixelJunk Monsters
* PixelJunk Racers
* PlayStation Home Requires deselecting 720p & 1080i from the Display Setup XMB screen.
* Requires deselecting 720p & 1080i from the Display Setup XMB screen.
* Piyotama
* Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords
* Quantum of Solace
* Rampage
* Rampart
* Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty Requires deselecting 720p & 1080i from the Display Setup XMB screen.
* Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools Of Destruction Requires deselecting 720p & 1080i from the Display Setup XMB screen.
* Ridge Racer 7
* Rocketmen: Axis of Evil
* Saints Row 2
* ' All versions.
* Snakeball
* Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer
* Soldier of Fortune Payback
* Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
* Super Stardust HD
* Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
* Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection
* Tony Hawk's Proving Ground
* Tori-Emaki
* The Trials of Topoq
* Requires deselecting 720p & 1080i from the Display Setup XMB screen. (not available in the PAL version)
* Warhawk
* Wipeout HD
* Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3
* Virtua Fighter 5
* Virtua Tennis 3
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#87 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,211 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:00 AM

yeah, the majority of those are upscaled.

#88 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,211 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

List of native 1080P (1920x1080) PS3 games:
Cars Mater-National = 1280x720 (QAA), 1920x1080 (QAA)
Fifa Street 3 = 1920x1080 (no AA)
God of War: Origins Collection = 1280x720 or 1920x1080 (no AA), 3D is 1280x720
God of War Collection Volume II = 1280x720 or1920x1080 (no AA)
Gran Turismo 5: Prologue = 1080p mode is 1280x1080 (2xAA) in-game while the garage/pit/showrooms are 1920x1080 with no AA. 720p mode is 1280x720 (4xAA)
Ico = 1280x720 or 1920x1080 (MLAA)
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance = 1280x720 & 1920x1080 (no AA)
MLB09: The Show = 1280x720 (2xAA) or 1920x1080 (no AA)
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel = 1280x720 when sub-HD output selected, 1920x1080 for any HD output (no AA)
Virtua Fighter 5 = 1024x1024 (no AA) 1024x768 en mode 1080p
World Series Of Poker 2008 = 1920x1080 (2xAA)

the rest are all upscaled.
source: http://forum.beyond3...ead.php?t=46241
it updates on the regular.

I removed the demos (and a screenshot), since they are not real games, and their non-demo counterparts were not 1080P (which was odd). I also found it odd that some sequels (like marvel: ultimate alliance 2) was not 1080P when the original was... weird.

#89 please recycle

please recycle

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:08 PM

ZombiU's first review was leaked.

http://www.reddit.co...up_a_day_early/

4.5/10

Granted one review isn't too much to go on, 4.5 is a pretty terrible score.

Nintentdo just can't seem to get a handle on genuine AAA titles (besides their repetitive bread and butter series).
Posted Image

#90 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,211 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

the guy's only real complaint is it's not "resident evil" enough, except for the multiplayer...
too realistic, not "actiony" enough... if anything it's making me more excited to play it.

also:
"in Britian, Official Nintendo Magazine actually gave Zombi U a 92% review score in their most recent issue (surpassing both NSMBU AND Nintendoland) Take that as you will, but a larger consensus is definitely needed"

Edited by avelanch, 17 November 2012 - 03:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.