The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next Gen Console News - XBOX 720, PS4

PlayStation

None of the big 3 make a profit on the sale of the console. They all lose money. Its in the games that they make their cash. Which is why no backwards compatibility. They dont want you sitting there playing your old games on the new system. They want you buying new games. Its also why they dont want you to be able to play used games. They make nothing on a used game sale.

Who rents games anymore? Wasnt that the video rental places that are all gone now?

nintendo has always made money on their hardware, the wii U is the first time they will be taking a loss on their console, and that's only because of the strong Yen/weak american dollar.

Also, Gamefly still exists for rentals, and it's VERY popular, as is game rentals at redbox. it's the online and automated vending rentals that killed the traditional rental stores. rentals are still a big business, they just evolved.

no resale on games equals no purchase of new system for me. I hope many other boycott the new consoles too. how can they expect you to buy a gaming system for 250-400 $ then spend another 70$ a month on games and another 40 for Xbox live semiannually.

no resale on games equals no purchase of new system for me. I hope many other boycott the new consoles too. how can they expect you to buy a gaming system for 250-400 $ then spend another 70$ a month on games and another 40 for Xbox live semiannually.

then get a Wii U. it's next gen and allows resale (physical AND digital DL games are available), you also don't have to spend extra for online.

then get a Wii U. it's next gen and allows resale (physical AND digital DL games are available), you also don't have to spend extra for online.

I'd be completely down for that if Nintendo expanded their game selection to reach a more mature audience. favorite game is NHL (EA SPORTS ) from there it's a flurry of action adventure games like deadspace that Nintendo has yet to offer.

I'd be completely down for that if Nintendo expanded their game selection to reach a more mature audience. favorite game is NHL (EA SPORTS ) from there it's a flurry of action adventure games like deadspace that Nintendo has yet to offer.

they already have much increased 3rd party support, and mature games are plentiful, just within the launch window.

Zombi U is one of the killer ap launch titles

List of "mature" games currently announced for the Wii U, most coming out at launch or within the launch window

Mass effect 3: Special Edition

Assassin's creed 3

007 Legends

Aliens: Colonial Marines

Bayonetta 2 (exclusive)

Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition

Call of Duty: Black Ops II

Darksiders II

Demon Tribe

Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Online

Injustice: Gods Among Us

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (bloodier, harder, more weapons and characters, what NG3 SHOULD have been)

Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2

Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper

ZombiU

yeah especially because of the bad economy in the US. But I remember my friends getting PS3s for $800 when they launched but times are different now.

No not really..? People are still spending.

If you had common sense you wouldn't even go near the Wii U.

900 for a bare bones, entry level, gaming pc is not really unfathomable (unless you need a new monitor), but it'll need upgrades within 6 months most likely. 1300 is a decent one that will probably last a year or 2.

Go to NCIX and you can put together a half decent gaming rig for under a grand that wont need an upgrade for a couple years. The problem is most people spend a lot on things that dont matter much to a gaming rig which is just about everything besides the Vid card. Example: Does the game care if your using a i3 or i7 processor? No it makes no difference but people will pay more than twice as much for that i7 anyways...

I built my "gaming" computer at NCIX a year ago for about $650 and it runs every game on high with no stuttering so I'm not sure what you guys mean by needing to spend 1k. That being said I will probably have to upgrade the video card in a year or two, but still...

Dude, can you list the specs? I'm curious.

Go to NCIX and you can put together a half decent gaming rig for under a grand that wont need an upgrade for a couple years. The problem is most people spend a lot on things that dont matter much to a gaming rig which is just about everything besides the Vid card. Example: Does the game care if your using a i3 or i7 processor? No it makes no difference but people will pay more than twice as much for that i7 anyways...

Very true. Although getting a good Motherboard is essential if you intend to upgrade. I don't really consider my computer a "gaming" computer but more a swiss army knife due to the 3570k.

If you want to build a computer just for gaming, you're going to want to start with the video card and an SSD. If you're like me and you want to render video/3d models, run buttloads of programs and do other CPU intensive functions, you really have to think about where CPU spending ends and Vid-Card spending begins.

I could build a system with a 660ti, z77 mobo, i5 and aftermarket cooling for $950. Not gaming?

Edit: buuuuut to be fair I didn't calculate for OS or peripherals. With win7 home premium more like $1050.

I literally just built a system with those specs for 1300. I did use liquid cooling for the CPU, and added a SSD

Wasn't really on planning to buy a next generation console anyway. What i have right now (Xbox360&PC) is wonderful already.

But no bakwards compatibility and second hand games? I do not like this idea one bit. For me, personaly, I only buy new games when I either really want it or it's an amazing game. Most of the time, i buy used games.

On a side note: I really hope PS4 doesn't come out till 5-7 years from now. I DO NOT want KH3 to be a PS4 (or Xbox720) exclusive game. I dont want to buy a new console just for one game. :P

Archived