The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next Gen Console News - XBOX 720, PS4

PlayStation

http://ca.news.yahoo...-191606695.html

Enjoy that time as the only next-generation console on the market, Wii U. The competition is coming sooner than you might think.

Bloomberg reports Microsoft will release its next generation Xbox in time for the 2013 holidays. While the date has been widely expected, the news service says unnamed company insiders have now confirmed the time period.

There are still plenty of questions about the reveal, though. One of the biggest is whether Microsoft will wait until the E3 trade show in June to debut the Xbox 720 (or Xbox 8, or Durango, or whatever they decide to call it), though the company is said to be considering a separate event dedicated solely to the system's reveal.

Rumors about the tech specs of the next system are everywhere. Most recently, Xbox World reported that it will boast an improved version of Kinect, a Blu-ray drive, and a new controller with an embedded HD touchscreen.

Microsoft, not surprisingly, declined to comment on the story.

Part of the reason for that 'no comment' is the company's long-standing refusal to discuss rumor and speculation. The other is that it doesn't want to distract anyone from the Xbox 360 this year.

It's a strategy that's working so far. During Black Friday week, Microsoft beat out the competition by selling 750,000 Xbox 360 consoles. Halo 4, which many speculate is the swan song for the Xbox 360 as far as original AAA titles go, is also selling well.

Bloomberg's story did not, however, make mention of the streamlined "Xbox TV" device that has been making the rumor rounds lately. The Verge reported late last week that Microsoft was planning a set-top box device that would provide access to core entertainment services as well as casual gaming options at a lower price than its next gen console. That device, reportedly, is meant to compete with Apple TV.

CPU is rumored to be 1.6 GHz, compared to Wii U's 1.2 GHz CPU.

Marcan42 Twitter Post: https://twitter.com/...856397915697152

Marcan42 is a known hacker, so I don't think this info would be false.

To the article above, HD touch screen in the controller just like the Wii? Oh come on, they just keep making stuff more and more stupid.

I just want to stick to a normal controller! The 360 controllers loved by so many (not myself) so why would they change it? Not to mention some people rage and throw controllers:P

the stuff like touch screen controllers and an entertainment system really don't appeal. And no backwards compatability and no physical games are the deal breaker. To be quite honest, I think I'd be quite content replaying all my old gen games and ps3 games saving my money. The only game I've ever really played online is cod and even then mw3 kinda killed that.

goodbye 720/ps4, hello NES, Sega Genesis, N64

http://www.examiner....big-hard-drives

At Game Monetization Summit on Thursday, Michael Pachter talked a little bit about the hard drive sizes in the upcoming “PS4” and “Xbox 720” next-generation systems. You can check out some concept images of the two consoles from Yanko Design in the slideshow at the top of this article and the details below.

According to Michael Pachter, the “PS4” and “Xbox 720” will come with big hard drives in addition to the traditional disc drives. He predicts that both systems are going to have 2 TB of space each, giving room to download hundreds of video games. You can check out the comments from the Wedbush Securities analyst below (via GamesIndustry):

"Next-generation consoles are going to have big hard drives, they're also going to have disc drives I would guess that the PS4 and the Xbox 720 will have 2 TB hard drives. That pretty much means you can download anything you want and never get rid of anything. You'll have room for a couple of hundred games, no problem."

Both Sony and Microsoft are expected to release their next-generation systems sometime during the latter half of next year.

Seriously 2 TB? These things are going to be $1000...

http://www.examiner....big-hard-drives

Seriously 2 TB? These things are going to be $1000...

Not likely. It's likely they'll start around the 320 GB mark, maybe even 250 GM. A premium model could be 1TB...

The thing is -- Microsoft and Sony learned that hitting the market at over $600 was a mistake (PS3) . SOn'y sales didn't pick up until they dropped the price and it hurt them. It'd be a mistake for either company to go over $500 again. Rumors have already said MS is going to splt their consoles; one TV top version for downloadable games and one regular gaming console.

They'll take a loss on the console for awhile anyway, but I dont believe either is stupid enough to go higher. Furthermore, Sony is so hurting right now with their Junk credit rating that they can't afford to put out a console for $1000....

That said -- who knows. I'll be getting both virtually no matter what (I review games) but it'll be fascinating to see what they both do.

its only a matter of time before it goes pure digital and no more disks for companies its means more profits

True - but it's a console generation away. The next XBOX is already pretty confirmed to have Blu-Ray...and the thing is, they NEED Futureshops and Gamestops to sell their consoles. They need to get them in stores. So they can't completely cut out stores. But they'll definitely have more aggressive online offerings, like PS+ is doing.

True - but it's a console generation away. The next XBOX is already pretty confirmed to have Blu-Ray...and the thing is, they NEED Futureshops and Gamestops to sell their consoles. They need to get them in stores. So they can't completely cut out stores. But they'll definitely have more aggressive online offerings, like PS+ is doing.

they don't need gamestop, big box stores will sell consoles (walmart, target, etc) and those big box stores couldn't care less if they sell physical copies of software, or digital DL codes. hell, a piece of paper with a code on it is even more cost effective for them, it takes up way less space, and could even just be printed out at the register, meaning no transportation costs for them either.

they don't need gamestop, big box stores will sell consoles (walmart, target, etc) and those big box stores couldn't care less if they sell physical copies of software, or digital DL codes. hell, a piece of paper with a code on it is even more cost effective for them, it takes up way less space, and could even just be printed out at the register, meaning no transportation costs for them either.

Why would someone go to the store to buy a piece of paper allowing them to download a game, when they could just buy it online right before downloading? I think stores still have a fair amount to lose, not that it bothers me, I'm no stakeholder.

And Systemaddict, for the purchasers sake I hope you are right, but new technology is always expensive. I think a thousand bucks was an exaggerated number for sure, but it will be more than $500 bucks for sure. If it nears 700, thats still a lot of dough, even if it is fair value.

• 1 month later...

OKAY, this is really getting ridiculous... Pay $60 for the game, $60 for Microsoft Live, and then $1 a week to access the multiplayer content? WOW is next gen consoles becoming nothing but a cash grab from what we are hearing about so far.

This is like Call of Duty Elite/NHL Season pass, but making it mandatory to access 90% of the game.

In the Pach-Attack video on Game Trailers that was posted on Jan. 19, Michael Pachter talked a little bit about the pricing strategy of Bungie’s upcoming “Destiny” video game franchise, which is coming to the PS4, Xbox 720 and other systems. You can check out some images of the product, as well as some concept shots of the PS4 and Xbox 720, in the slideshow at the top of this article and the details below.

The analyst at Wedbush Securities expected that the single-player portion of “Destiny” will be priced at $60. He believed that the on-going multiplayer experience will require an additional paid subscription. Players will be able to pay as they play on a $1 per week plan. Michael Pachter also stated that Bungie can get subscribers by releasing additional contents such as monthly map packs or expansions.

The first “Destiny” game will be released for the Xbox 360 and Xbox 720 later this year. The franchise is expected to expand to the PC, PS3 and PS4 platforms with subsequent releases.

OKAY, this is really getting ridiculous... Pay $60 for the game, $60 for Microsoft Live, and then $1 a week to access the multiplayer content? WOW is next gen consoles becoming nothing but a cash grab from what we are hearing about so far.

This is like Call of Duty Elite/NHL Season pass, but making it mandatory to access 90% of the game.

Yup and there trying to phase out used gaming.

Why would someone go to the store to buy a piece of paper allowing them to download a game, when they could just buy it online right before downloading? I think stores still have a fair amount to lose, not that it bothers me, I'm no stakeholder.

And Systemaddict, for the purchasers sake I hope you are right, but new technology is always expensive. I think a thousand bucks was an exaggerated number for sure, but it will be more than $500 bucks for sure. If it nears 700, thats still a lot of dough, even if it is fair value.

people would buy the DL codes as gifts, and not everyone has credit cards to buy their games digitally, these are the people that would pay for the DL code at a register. Big box stores would LOVE it, gamestop would go out of business though.

people would buy the DL codes as gifts, and not everyone has credit cards to buy their games digitally, these are the people that would pay for the DL code at a register. Big box stores would LOVE it, gamestop would go out of business though.

A lot of those big stores are selling used games now too, example Best Buy & Future Shop.

I don't see them benefiting and loving the idea when a huge section of their store will now be empty, one of the big sections too. Stores don't make money off consoles, but the games and accessories instead (from what I've heard) so going to digital downloads, what purpose does it serve for stores to even carry consoles if it brings no benefit but just shelf space gets used up.

A lot of those big stores are selling used games now too, example Best Buy & Future Shop.

I don't see them benefiting and loving the idea when a huge section of their store will now be empty, one of the big sections too. Stores don't make money off consoles, but the games and accessories instead (from what I've heard) so going to digital downloads, what purpose does it serve for stores to even carry consoles if it brings no benefit but just shelf space gets used up.

I want to know what the markup is on a console game. We all know they are roughly $59.99 when new, what is the purchase cost for stores like Best Buy or EB Games? I could guess, but my guess would be worth exactly squat.

I want to know what the markup is on a console game. We all know they are roughly $59.99 when new, what is the purchase cost for stores like Best Buy or EB Games? I could guess, but my guess would be worth exactly squat.

Well considering EA sells its games for $20 to employees, we can assume $20-$40 perhaps? After all, after the games is made, it only costs cents to copy and package it.

Archived