The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next Gen Console News - XBOX 720, PS4

PlayStation

Xbox 720 rumoured to have ‘always on’ Internet connection, effectively killing used game market

torimugshot_184640.jpgBy Tori Floyd | The Right Click – 1 hour 34 minutes ago

2013-01-10T175034Z_1_CBRE9091DKG00_RTROPTP_2_CTECH-US-MICROSOFT-XBOX-KRIKORIAN.JPGVisitors play with Microsoft's Xbox 360 consoles at the Tokyo Game Show. (REUTERS)Well, there goes the neighbourhood.

Neighbourhood video game stores, specifically, which have already suffered greatly at the hands of big box retailers. Their last glimmer of hope was the used video game market (and even that has been largely dominated by GameStop, EB Games and Best Buy). But if the rumours about Microsoft’s new upcoming game console are true, selling back your used games or trading them in for a new title may soon be a thing of the past.

The latest rumour about the upcoming Xbox 720 (not necessarily its final name) is that the system will require an ‘always on’ Internet connection to function, likely integrated with a new iteration of Xbox Live, according to a story from Edge Online.

[ Related: SimCity developers’ Reddit AMA turns sour over copyright protection ]

Unnamed sources have told Edge that games will be made available in physical form on 50GB Blu-ray discs, and will ship with activation codes that will only be usable for the initial user. Wanted to share a game with your friend? Perhaps sell it back for trade-in value, and make that next game a little more affordable? Sorry, not going to happen.

Back in April 2012, similar rumours surfaced around the upcoming PlayStation 4; at the time, it was reported that all games will be tied to a user’s PSN ID, which means that you need to be connected to the Internet to play, and once you’ve entered a code for a game, that’s it. With Microsoft looking more and more likely to make this move, it’s almost guaranteed that Sony will follow suit. We’ll know for sure when Sony holds its PlayStation event on February 20, which will most likely be the announcement of the new PS4.

[ More Right Click: Luigi celebrates his 30th birthday still in Mario’s shadow ]

The sources quoted by Edge also confirm the leaked specs of the next Xbox: AMD eight-core x64 1.6GHz CPU, D3D11.x 800MHz GPU, 8GB of DDR3 RAM. There’s no word yet as to the capacity of the new Xbox. Microsoft will also be developing improved Kinect for the system, expected to ship at the same time.

Geek.com speculates in their coverage about the rumour that the move will push gamers towards the PS4. But if the new PlayStation turns out to block used games as well, this could end up being the one way Nintendo manages to get a leg up on the competition in the console wars.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/right-click/xbox-720-rumoured-always-internet-connection-effectively-killing-195138005.html

Awful if true. Unimaginably horrific penny pinching bullsh1t.

Honestly, I will never own one. Chalk up another reason for PC gaming.

I can understand that new games garner the greatest profit for companies who spend years developing games, yet there will always be folks who line up to buy brand new games.

I will not be one of them I can promise that. Used games are great affordable fun. Unless you own a PS4/XBOX whatever...

Just garbage news:/

If just one of those companies didnt follow the other, the amount of people that would switch over to the other console would be huge.

personally, if both ps4 and x720 do this then it leads me to assume its the 3rd party game companies/developers who hold the cards and wanted this to happen, i.e. EA/ACTIVISION/ETC ETC...

personally, if both ps4 and x720 do this then it leads me to assume its the 3rd party game companies/developers who hold the cards and wanted this to happen, i.e. EA/ACTIVISION/ETC ETC...

Wouldnt be surprised if the scumbags at EA were a part of it, especially due to the fact that they have the stupid online code. NHL games were the first game (I have ever seen) to have this crap. They already sell millions of copies of games every single year on various sports and for various platforms, the games which tend to be the same stuff improved a tiny bit in one area, but screwed up in another. As if they didnt make enough.

Sell your EB Games and GameStop shares folks.

Awful if true. Unimaginably horrific penny pinching bullsh1t.

Honestly, I will never own one. Chalk up another reason for PC gaming.

I can understand that new games garner the greatest profit for companies who spend years developing games, yet there will always be folks who line up to buy brand new games.

I will not be one of them I can promise that. Used games are great affordable fun. Unless you own a PS4/XBOX whatever...

new games garner the ONLY profit for the developers, they get nothing for used games.

new games garner the ONLY profit for the developers, they get nothing for used games.

Well whats better, for a person to not touch the game or someone to pick up NHL 13 used and buy HUT packs / COD map packs etc?

I hate EB Games and GameStop and dont personally buy used games myself, but its a load of crap for if I want to play my game at a friends or what not.

Well whats better, for a person to not touch the game or someone to pick up NHL 13 used and buy HUT packs / COD map packs etc?

I hate EB Games and GameStop and dont personally buy used games myself, but its a load of crap for if I want to play my game at a friends or what not.

used games are only like 10 dollars cheaper than new... and I don't participate in microtransactions.

Yeah, you are right, I phrased that poorly. I wasn't sure if companies recieved sponsorship from anyone, something along that sort. Nevertheless, the rest is true, die hard people will still line up to buy new and be a part of the "it just came out and is so awesome can you believe it?" crowd. Obviously that number is dwindling, or so they would have us believe in this case. Profit is the ONLY reason for a move of this magnitude.

used games are only like 10 dollars cheaper than new... and I don't participate in microtransactions.

What are you talking about? Used games or new used games. Because I just spent less than 100 bucks combined on Red Dead, Skyrim, inFAMOUS, and God of War 3. You aren't seriously trying to tell me that those games would cost $140 totalled new? I know you are more saavy than that.

By the way, what the hell is a microtransaction? Something people do when they want to play a great game that was released years ago but somehow missed out on? I don't know, just speculating...

I am just wondering why you don't buy used games. Is it to support developers? Or just the enjoyment of having new stuff?

I agree about the bringing the game over to a pals place and not being able to play, that is just... I am swearing at the lameness, let's say that.

I hate EB too, but since the game copying and console modding era, they had to change their business model, probably not for themselves, but for the developers who were losing money on one of the original reasons I used to love EB, say, 15 years ago. Back when you could buy a game, go home and play it for a couple days, then take it back for whatever reason and swap it for another one. That was awesome. Then along came modding and that was the end of that.

So on that note I can understand why the industry would shift away from used games to regain/retain some profits, however, I won't be the one held ransom over it. I like to buy old, used, kickass games sometimes. If I can't, then out of personal principle I would invest in a gaming computer the same amount of money, and continue to play used games.

Unless, of course, computer games go to new only...

Kinda drunk right now, hope this wasn't an unintelligible anger tangent.

I am just wondering why you don't buy used games. Is it to support developers? Or just the enjoyment of having new stuff?

I agree about the bringing the game over to a pals place and not being able to play, that is just... I am swearing at the lameness, let's say that.

I hate EB too, but since the game copying and console modding era, they had to change their business model, probably not for themselves, but for the developers who were losing money on one of the original reasons I used to love EB, say, 15 years ago. Back when you could buy a game, go home and play it for a couple days, then take it back for whatever reason and swap it for another one. That was awesome. Then along came modding and that was the end of that.

So on that note I can understand why the industry would shift away from used games to regain/retain some profits, however, I won't be the one held ransom over it. I like to buy old, used, kickass games sometimes. If I can't, then out of personal principle I would invest in a gaming computer the same amount of money, and continue to play used games.

Unless, of course, computer games go to new only...

Kinda drunk right now, hope this wasn't an unintelligible anger tangent.

To support the developers!? Psh! Hell no! I typically only purchase 2 games a year, and get them pre ordered and pick them up on release day, NHL & COD. Been a long time since I've bought other games, used to a lot when I was a kid, so used was fine, much cheaper.

Your drunken words make more sense than my normal ones.

To support the developers!? Psh! Hell no! I typically only purchase 2 games a year, and get them pre ordered and pick them up on release day, NHL & COD. Been a long time since I've bought other games, used to a lot when I was a kid, so used was fine, much cheaper.

Your drunken words make more sense than my normal ones.

:lol:

I don't emotipaste much, but I almost spat my beer out reading that last one, so thank you for that.

ps4controller.jpg

An image purportedly depicting a prototype controller for Sony's next PlayStation has surfaced. Posted on Destructoid, the image reveals a controller with many similarities to Sony's typical DualShock design, albeit with a few cosmetic alterations like rounded sides, differently shaped analog sticks and a D-pad that looks very similar to the one used on thePlayStation Vita.

A few atypical features include what appears to be a touchpad similar to the rear touchpad on the Vita, a built-in speaker and a strange, glowing bar. The bar bears some likeness to the otherworldly glow of a a PlayStation Move, suggesting the controller could have built-in motion tracking.

According to sources at IGN, the controller is indeed real, though it's an early prototype and possibly very different from the final design. Sony is widely expected to unveil its next PlayStation at an event next Wednesday, and hopefully we'll know more by then.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/14/report-playstation-4-controller-prototype-caught-on-camera/

That is one ugly ass controller...

Archived