The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Victim Claims Montreal Transit Worker Assaulted her over English Language

Wetcoaster

I hate racism .

Came across this story a while ago

On a British Airways flight from Johannesburg, a middle-aged, well-off white South African Lady has found herself sitting next to a black man. She called the cabin crew attendant over to complain about her seating.

"What seems to be the problem Madam?" asked the attendant.

"Can't you see?" she said " You've sat me next to a kaffir. I can't possibly sit next to this disgusting human. Find me another seat!"

"Please calm down Madam." the stewardess relied. "The flight is very full today, but I'll tell you what I'll do-I'll go and check to see if we have any seats available in club or first class." The woman cocks a snooty look at the outraged black man beside her (not to mention many of the surrounding passengers). A few minutes later the stewardess returns with the good news, which she delivers to the lady, who cannot help but look at the people around her with a smug and self satisfied grin: "Madam, unfortunately, as I suspected, economy is full. I've spoken to the cabin services director, and club is also full. However, we do have one seat in first class." Before the lady has a chance to answer, the stewardess continues ... "It is most extraordinary to make this kind of upgrade, however, and I have had to get special permission from the captain. But, given the circumstances, the captain felt that it was outrageous that someone be forced to sit next to such an obnoxious person." With which, she turned to the black man sitting next to the woman, and said: "So if you'd like to get your things, sir, I have your seat ready for you..." At which point, apparently the surrounding passengers stood and gave a standing ovation while the black guy walks up to the front of the plane.

.. people will forget what you said .... .. people will forget what you did .... .. but people will never forget how you made them feel.

I hate racism .

On a British Airways flight from Johannesburg, a middle-aged, well-off white South African Lady has found herself sitting next to a black man. She called the cabin crew attendant over to complain about her seating.

"Can't you see?" she said " You've sat me next to a kaffir. I can't possibly sit next to this disgusting human. Find me another seat!"

"Please calm down Madam." the stewardess relied. "The flight is very full today, but I'll tell you what I'll do-I'll go and check to see if we have any seats available in club or first class." The woman cocks a snooty look at the outraged black man beside her (not to mention many of the surrounding passengers). A few minutes later the stewardess returns with the good news, which she delivers to the lady, who cannot help but look at the people around her with a smug and self satisfied grin: "Madam, unfortunately, as I suspected, economy is full. I've spoken to the cabin services director, and club is also full. However, we do have one seat in first class." Before the lady has a chance to answer, the stewardess continues ... "It is most extraordinary to make this kind of upgrade, however, and I have had to get special permission from the captain. But, given the circumstances, the captain felt that it was outrageous that someone be forced to sit next to such an obnoxious person." With which, she turned to the black man sitting next to the woman, and said: "So if you'd like to get your things, sir, I have your seat ready for you..." At which point, apparently the surrounding passengers stood and gave a standing ovation while the black guy walks up to the front of the plane.

.. people will forget what you said .... .. people will forget what you did .... .. but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Great story but apparently an urban legend with a number of variants.

http://www.hoax-slay...passenger.shtml

Here is one that involves me personally and my partner.

Being a white heterosexual male, you would think racism would not be directed at me but I get it as result of my partner as she is Chinese although she has been a Canadian citizen for over 30 years.

Awhile back I had an issue with a couple of racists - a customer and a cashier in a large supermarket.

My partner noticed that one of the items run through the scanner was priced incorrectly. She pointed it out to the cashier who started off with "You Chinese... (racial slurs and content omitted)" and some middle-aged moronic Caucasian woman started up about the Chinese also having great time joining in. My partner was somewhat shocked and taken aback.

I had been standing at the front of the bagging area a little bit separated from my partner so I assume these two morons thought she was alone. Bad mistake on their part.

I immediately walked up right in the face of the woman in line and loudly let her have it verbally with both barrels and I kept it up until she was so embarrassed that she abandoned her cart and left the store.

I then turned my attention to the cashier and gave her a piece of my mind. I then demanded the store manager be called but as he was absent, the assistant manager was called. I told him what had happened and he immediately relieved the cashier and replaced her with another.

The next day I telephoned the store manager and advised him verbally what had occurred as well as following it with a formal letter of complaint which was also faxed to head office. I demanded that the cashier be fired or I would be proceeding with a complaint to the BC Human Rights Tribunal and contacting the media. She was fired.

It is unlikely the cashier will have learned anything from her experience but I am sure that it will be talked about by other employees and hopefully have a salutary effect on their future behaviour.

Oh yeah and I also demanded and received a written apology to her signed by the store manager and the company CEO and that all employees at that store be given a memorandum setting out what occurred and that there was an absolute zero tolerance for racist behaviour - such actions would be considered grounds for immediate termination for cause given that it was contrary to law and that it could result in liability for the company.

BTW she was also given a substantial credit for future purchases at the supermarket

My approach is to beat such racists into the ground until they are broken and bloody (figuratively speaking of course) - as one of my law partners once said to me " I would really hate to piss you off as you do not let go until you have annihilated a person". Yup that is me - I do not hold with all this turn the other cheek garbage.

A complaint has been made to Montreal police and the transit authority is cooperating as well as conducting its own investigation. This is just the latest in language related incidents involving transit workers.

Apparently the STM worker is hospitalized but it may not be from injuries she suffered in the scuffle - hiding out or constructing as mental breakdown defence perhaps???

Montreal’s transit authority has launched an investigation and will provide police with surveillance video after a métro ticket-taker allegedly put a passenger in a headlock and punched her during a language spat on Monday.

“I’m told there’s going to be a police investigation and there may be an assault charge,” said Société de transport de Montréal vice-chairman Marvin Rotrand. “We will turn over whatever surveillance video police want.”

The métro employee is in a hospital and the STM has yet to interview her, he said. It’s unclear if the hospitalization was a result of the incident.

The alleged assault is the latest in a string of altercations between passengers and subway employees.

Other recent incidents:

This month, the STM forced an employee to remove a sign at a métro ticket booth that said: “Au Québec c’est en français que ça se passe!” (Roughly translated: “In Quebec, we do things in French”).

In July, an STM customer alleged that two métro agents told him: “We don’t serve English people.”

In June, Montreal Impact soccer player Miguel Montano said that when he spoke with a métro ticket-taker in English, he was told he needed to speak French and his money was refused.

http://www.montrealg...0155/story.html

And a witness has come forward that supports the alleged assault portion of the incident:

Mina Barak says her woes began when the automated machine malfunctioned, and she told the the attendant -- in English -- about the problem. Barak also asked the attendant to let her through the turnstile, at which point Barak said the woman in the booth became hostile.

"I went to call the agent as soon as she started telling me to go back to my country. "Ici on parle en Francais, retourne a ton pays."

Barak then phoned the STM to make a complaint, then went back to the attendant and told her what she had done.

At that point Jamie Salomon was passing by and saw the attendant come out of the booth and hit Barak.

"She came out of her box, she slammed the door and then she started slamming you," said Salomon on Tuesday when he saw Barak again.

Salomon said he could not stop the fight.

"I was screaming and I was yelling and I was pounding on the turnstile to make as much noise to try to shock the woman to her senses," said Salomon.

Barak said she tried to defend herself after being put in a headlock.

"At that moment I saw black I didn't know what to do," said Barak.

Another bystander broke up the fight, dragging Barak away, and police were soon on the scene.

The public transit employee could face criminal charges, but she spent Tuesday in hospital seeking treatment for an undisclosed condition.

http://montreal.ctvn...0#ixzz2AuzPL8gB

According to an STM spokesperson, Vice-chair of the STM Marvin Rotrand, a complaint has been filed with police and the transit authority is turning over surveillance video and STM is also investigating. And this is in addition to an earlier investigation:

Early in October, a passenger captured a photo of a controversial sign in a Villa-Maria station ticket booth and circulated it online. The sign read, "Au Québec, c'est en français que ça se passe," which roughly translates into "In Quebec, we operate in French."

Rotrand said that while the signage investigation is complete, he can't disclose whether or not the employee was sanctioned.

Rotrand said the STM is not sure why the ticket changer left the booth. "We're not making any assumptions," he said.

Rotrand explained that STM policy instructs employees who don't speak English to find a way to provide information for anglophone clients by offering a pamphlet or calling a manager for help.

Going forward, Rotrand said the STM will review its security tapes and offer any help it can to the police department.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2012/10/30/montreal-stm-assault-savane.html' rel="external nofollow">

something needs to be done against this or it will just continue to happen.........and could you imagine if the federal government had a majority of Quebec MP it could be nightmare........seriously what is Quebec problem with English speaking citizens....dont they know majority cant speak French it not even popular anymore

something needs to be done against this or it will just continue to happen.........and could you imagine if the federal government had a majority of Quebec MP it could be nightmare........seriously what is Quebec problem with English speaking citizens....dont they know majority cant speak French it not even popular anymore

My experiences have generally been good in Quebec or in situations where Quebecois are the majority. To anyone who speaks French I am clearly an anglophone, though I try to at least say hello or thank you in their language. I also try to clarify in broken French if they don't understand what I am trying to say in English.

Generally Quebecois seem to immediately dislike you if you are an Anglophone... until they realize that you are not from Ontario. :lol:

Once they realize that you are from BC the tone becomes much more sympathetic.

Great story but apparently an urban legend with a number of variants.

http://www.hoax-slay...passenger.shtml

Here is one that involves me personally and my partner.

Being a white heterosexual male, you would think racism would not be directed at me but I get it as result of my partner as she is Chinese although she has been a Canadian citizen for over 30 years.

Awhile back I had an issue with a couple of racists - a customer and a cashier in a large supermarket.

My partner noticed that one of the items run through the scanner was priced incorrectly. She pointed it out to the cashier who started off with "You Chinese... (racial slurs and content omitted)" and some middle-aged moronic Caucasian woman started up about the Chinese also having great time joining in. My partner was somewhat shocked and taken aback.

I had been standing at the front of the bagging area a little bit separated from my partner so I assume these two morons thought she was alone. Bad mistake on their part.

I immediately walked up right in the face of the woman in line and loudly let her have it verbally with both barrels and I kept it up until she was so embarrassed that she abandoned her cart and left the store.

I then turned my attention to the cashier and gave her a piece of my mind. I then demanded the store manager be called but as he was absent, the assistant manager was called. I told him what had happened and he immediately relieved the cashier and replaced her with another.

The next day I telephoned the store manager and advised him verbally what had occurred as well as following it with a formal letter of complaint which was also faxed to head office. I demanded that the cashier be fired or I would be proceeding with a complaint to the BC Human Rights Tribunal and contacting the media. She was fired.

It is unlikely the cashier will have learned anything from her experience but I am sure that it will be talked about by other employees and hopefully have a salutary effect on their future behaviour.

Oh yeah and I also demanded and received a written apology to her signed by the store manager and the company CEO and that all employees at that store be given a memorandum setting out what occurred and that there was an absolute zero tolerance for racist behaviour - such actions would be considered grounds for immediate termination for cause given that it was contrary to law and that it could result in liability for the company.

BTW she was also given a substantial credit for future purchases at the supermarket

My approach is to beat such racists into the ground until they are broken and bloody (figuratively speaking of course) - as one of my law partners once said to me " I would really hate to piss you off as you do not let go until you have annihilated a person". Yup that is me - I do not hold with all this turn the other cheek garbage.

I hate racism .

• 2 weeks later...

STM needs to take lessons from the Toronto Transit Commission, when their employees step out of line they are suspended and subject to a disciplinary hearing which can cost them their jobs.

The Toronto Transit Commission has suspended one of its streetcar drivers after he tried to chase down a man who had allegedly sexually assaulted one of his passengers.

Police say the assault happened Wednesday afternoon on the busy 501 Queen Street streetcar, near John Street.

A passenger alerted the driver to the assault who stopped the streetcar.

But before police could arrive the suspect took off down Queen Street and the victim ran after him.

The streetcar driver then chased after both of them — leaving a streetcar full of passengers sitting idle.

The TTC says that was the wrong thing to do.

TTC drivers are not allowed to leave their vehicle unsecured — and under no circumstances should they put themselves, or their passengers in danger.

A spokesman for the TTC confirmed to CBC News that the driver was relieved of duty and that a disciplinary hearing has been ordered. Depending on the driver's record and the circumstances surrounding the event the driver could lose his job.

The union says instead of being relieved of duty and facing disciplinary action the driver should be praised.

"I think he should be recognized and commended," said union president Bob Kinnear. "It's unfortunate that the TTC is taking action."

Kinnear says the driver, whose name has not been released, "was concerned for the victim ... he was looking out for one of our passengers that had been criminally assaulted."

Passengers told about the TTC's action were furious.

"I think that's absolutely ridiculous. The man saw something happening that shouldn't happen and did his duty, like anyone would in that situation, to help this poor woman," said one woman.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...tc-assault.html

Oh yeah and:

Sarcasm-zoom.png

Great story, Wetcoaster.

Yeah, despite Vancouver being one of the most multicultural cities in the world, racism is still around. We're lucky in Vancouver in that we have such a diverse population with all the ethnic foods and cultural entertainment.

I wouldn't have ti any other way.

I have an Anglophone friend who just moved to BC from Quebec... he told me "if your French isn't flawless, you're frak'd. EVERYONE discriminates against anyone who's first language isn't french"

Obviously this transit worker is a case above all others, but yeah... we really need to mend the gap

• 1 month later...

Sorry I'm late to this party but I have never really experienced racism to this degree as an anglophone living in Quebec.

Myself and most of my friends included, I don't think we'd say you need to know French to come here, at least to Montreal where a huge number of people are bilingual. The STM clerk in the article was clearly a jerk and needs help, but I think way too many of you are jumping to conclusions about how xenophobic the Quebecois are.

Archived