Dittohead

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,166 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:14 AM

I hate racism .

Came across this story a while ago

On a British Airways flight from Johannesburg, a middle-aged, well-off white South African Lady has found herself sitting next to a black man. She called the cabin crew attendant over to complain about her seating.

"What seems to be the problem Madam?" asked the attendant.

"Can't you see?" she said " You've sat me next to a kaffir. I can't possibly sit next to this disgusting human. Find me another seat!"

"Please calm down Madam." the stewardess relied. "The flight is very full today, but I'll tell you what I'll do-I'll go and check to see if we have any seats available in club or first class." The woman cocks a snooty look at the outraged black man beside her (not to mention many of the surrounding passengers). A few minutes later the stewardess returns with the good news, which she delivers to the lady, who cannot help but look at the people around her with a smug and self satisfied grin: "Madam, unfortunately, as I suspected, economy is full. I've spoken to the cabin services director, and club is also full. However, we do have one seat in first class." Before the lady has a chance to answer, the stewardess continues ... "It is most extraordinary to make this kind of upgrade, however, and I have had to get special permission from the captain. But, given the circumstances, the captain felt that it was outrageous that someone be forced to sit next to such an obnoxious person." With which, she turned to the black man sitting next to the woman, and said: "So if you'd like to get your things, sir, I have your seat ready for you..." At which point, apparently the surrounding passengers stood and gave a standing ovation while the black guy walks up to the front of the plane.

.. people will forget what you said .... .. people will forget what you did .... .. but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Just by reading that story you can tell it's fake and made to be a moral type story easily inserting whatever race you feel like to look racist. obviously a white person from South Africa is racist they all are. :rolleyes:

#32 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:10 AM

You keep that story ready for copy and paste?

You keep making irrelevant posts?
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#33 fwybwed

fwybwed

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

In my experience transit workers are generally extremely rude. I know they have a tough job but there needs to be some better training in place, on dealing with the public. And our skytrain workers wanted to carry firearms not long ago right? Yikes.

Tough job...the lady was "knitting" lol I say let em suffer in silence knowing they will forever be apart of ENGLISH Canada...

Edited by fwybwed, 01 November 2012 - 11:25 AM.

#34 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:28 AM

STM needs to take lessons from the Toronto Transit Commission, when their employees step out of line they are suspended and subject to a disciplinary hearing which can cost them their jobs.

The Toronto Transit Commission has suspended one of its streetcar drivers after he tried to chase down a man who had allegedly sexually assaulted one of his passengers.

Police say the assault happened Wednesday afternoon on the busy 501 Queen Street streetcar, near John Street.

A passenger alerted the driver to the assault who stopped the streetcar.

But before police could arrive the suspect took off down Queen Street and the victim ran after him.

The streetcar driver then chased after both of them — leaving a streetcar full of passengers sitting idle.

The TTC says that was the wrong thing to do.

TTC drivers are not allowed to leave their vehicle unsecured — and under no circumstances should they put themselves, or their passengers in danger.

A spokesman for the TTC confirmed to CBC News that the driver was relieved of duty and that a disciplinary hearing has been ordered. Depending on the driver's record and the circumstances surrounding the event the driver could lose his job.

The union says instead of being relieved of duty and facing disciplinary action the driver should be praised.

"I think he should be recognized and commended," said union president Bob Kinnear. "It's unfortunate that the TTC is taking action."

Kinnear says the driver, whose name has not been released, "was concerned for the victim ... he was looking out for one of our passengers that had been criminally assaulted."

Passengers told about the TTC's action were furious.

"I think that's absolutely ridiculous. The man saw something happening that shouldn't happen and did his duty, like anyone would in that situation, to help this poor woman," said one woman.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...tc-assault.html

Oh yeah and:
Posted Image
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#35 Jai604

Jai604

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,953 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:34 AM

Great story, Wetcoaster.

Yeah, despite Vancouver being one of the most multicultural cities in the world, racism is still around. We're lucky in Vancouver in that we have such a diverse population with all the ethnic foods and cultural entertainment.

I wouldn't have ti any other way.

Posted ImagePosted Image

RIP LB RR PD

#36 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,182 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:08 AM

I have an Anglophone friend who just moved to BC from Quebec... he told me "if your French isn't flawless, you're frak'd. EVERYONE discriminates against anyone who's first language isn't french"

Obviously this transit worker is a case above all others, but yeah... we really need to mend the gap

I found that so long as you're buying something, many clerks speak several languages. I was told as much by one clerk.
Posted Image

If the way Torts stepped up doesn't inspire anyone to work harder, I'll drive them to the airport myself.

</p>

#37 luineul

luineul

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,872 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:37 PM

Sorry I'm late to this party but I have never really experienced racism to this degree as an anglophone living in Quebec.

Myself and most of my friends included, I don't think we'd say you need to know French to come here, at least to Montreal where a huge number of people are bilingual. The STM clerk in the article was clearly a jerk and needs help, but I think way too many of you are jumping to conclusions about how xenophobic the Quebecois are.
Posted Image

bleed canadiens.
Eyes On The Prize

#38 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 30,428 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

This will not cause a riot.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.