24 replies to this topic

#1 bobby loocid dreamer

bobby loocid dreamer

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:13 PM

To Van- Ales Hemsky, Nikolai Khabibulin, 1st Round pick.

To Edmonton- Roberto Luongo, Mason Raymond

Why for VAN:  Luongo needs to go.  In return we get a solid top 6 winger, a backup tender that brings experience and who will be ready to retire when Lack is ready to take over backup duties, and a 1st round pick that is probably a lottery pick.  Raymond's speed will look good in Edmonton.

Why for EDM:  They land a top 10 goaltender in Luongo.  They give up an expensive top 6 forward to make room for Yakupov who is ready for big minutes.  They get rid of an aging contract but to equalize the trade, they give up a 1st.  Raymond is underrated and would bring a winning attitude to Edmonton.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Booth-Kesler-Hemsky
Hansen-Higgins-Kassian
Lapierre-Malhotra-Weise
Volpatti-Pinizzotto

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Garrison-Edler
Ballard-Tanev
Alberts

Schneider-KhabibulinCAP HIT 2012/13=   69.16 Million
Go Batman!

#2 FullMetalOilDrum

FullMetalOilDrum

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

Makes sense but trading the pick would be an extreme risk for the Oilers if they end up tanking again.
Respect my favorite team, and I will respect yours.

#3 bobby loocid dreamer

bobby loocid dreamer

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

Makes sense but trading the pick would be an extreme risk for the Oilers if they end up tanking again.

yup a bit of a risk, but definitely tougher to tank with Luongo in net.
Go Batman!

#4 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

Oilers' would be stupid to trade this year's 1st. They also have zero need for Raymond.

I can see them trading their 2014 1st.

This trade would more be like Luongo FOR Hemsky straight up.

#5 bobby loocid dreamer

bobby loocid dreamer

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

Oilers' would be stupid to trade this year's 1st. They also have zero need for Raymond.

I can see them trading their 2014 1st.

This trade would more be like Luongo FOR Hemsky straight up.

Originally I worked with Luongo for Hemsky straight up. But I felt that Edmonton would not want to have 8.5 million tied up in goaltending AND have to bury another 3.5 in the minors. So I involved a goaltender in return. But then we get into cap issues on the Canucks side so they had to take some salary back (Raymond). Raymond is not a star but at 2 million and a solid 40 point guy he is far from a dud that is not useful. A 2014 1st is probably more agreeable for Edmonton as they are more likely to make some noise in the playoffs next year rather than this year, yes. But thats why we want the 2013 1st and not the 2014.
Go Batman!

#6 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

I like it. With Luongo, EDM is better than Minnesota (maybe) and Colorado and maybe even Calgary. I doubt it's a lottery pick with him in goal.

#7 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

Originally I worked with Luongo for Hemsky straight up. But I felt that Edmonton would not want to have 8.5 million tied up in goaltending AND have to bury another 3.5 in the minors. So I involved a goaltender in return. But then we get into cap issues on the Canucks side so they had to take some salary back (Raymond). Raymond is not a star but at 2 million and a solid 40 point guy he is far from a dud that is not useful. A 2014 1st is probably more agreeable for Edmonton as they are more likely to make some noise in the playoffs next year rather than this year, yes. But thats why we want the 2013 1st and not the 2014.

If the Oilers acquired Luongo, they could trade Dubnyk to Columbus or somebody else.

The Oilers have a bunch of skilled forwards, most of them more skilled than Raymond. They need more size and toughness at forward.

You don't often see teams who were lottery teams or close one year trade their 1st rounder the next. Toronto is a terrific example of why teams don't trade it.

#8 Canada Hockey Place

Canada Hockey Place

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

I'd hate that trade THB. IMO Hemsky isn't not a surefire upgrade on Raymond, if at all. Also think Khabibulin is a bad choice for back-up. What if you want to give Lack a few games? Khabibulin to the AHL? On waivers?

There is a rumour that EDM is up to something though - http://www.thefourth.../edm121030.html
Quando omni flunkus moritati

#9 jatylo

jatylo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

Definitely like it, we get a better version of raymond and a average veteran goalie in khabby which we could flop to toronto for a 2nd?. A top 10 pick in a strong draft always helps(assuming lockout), don't think they would trade the 2013 pick if there is a lockout but if not it we would get a middle pick around 12-20

Edited by jatylo, 30 October 2012 - 02:42 PM.

#10 bobby loocid dreamer

bobby loocid dreamer

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:32 PM

I'd hate that trade THB. IMO Hemsky isn't not a surefire upgrade on Raymond, if at all. Also think Khabibulin is a bad choice for back-up. What if you want to give Lack a few games? Khabibulin to the AHL? On waivers?  

There is a rumour that EDM is up to something though - http://www.thefourth.../edm121030.html

Thanks for giving some feedback- I do however disagree.Hemsky is a surefire upgrade on Raymond.Lets compare:***Both are the same size***Hemsky is top 6 without a doubt- Raymond is a 3rd line guy.***Hemsky has had 5 40 point (3 60 point) seasons, Raymond has had one.***Hemsky is a proven playoff performer (17points in 24 games), Raymond has 16points in 51 games.Khabibulin may be less than ideal as a back up but I prefer to have at least 100 games of experience between my goalies. A Lack/Schneider combo has 68. Khabibulin has 783 games played. The problem with bring Lack up "for a few games" is the waiver wire. We can't risk losing him to Columbus for nothing.
Go Batman!

#11 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,344 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:49 PM

Not bad at all. If Hemsky can stay healthy he'd be the perfect playmaker for the 2nd line.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#12 JensenFan2011

JensenFan2011

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

should target Magnus Paajarvi

#13 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,153 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

POSSIBLY. At this stage of his career, Khabi is more of an albatross, though with his experience of having gone all the way before (not that it matters too much, this team was only at the brink of winning it all recently) if he could mentor Cory and help him handle the stresses of being a clear-cut starter while also perform at a high-enough level himself to back him competently then sure (though I would like someone younger who has won it all before and can back Cory up coming back). Same goes for Hemmer's health-- the second line could use a pure play maker, and if they click Hemmer could help the line gel, especially if he's healthy and playing at his high level.

With that said, it's not to say that there's no risk in bringing two high-paid veterans who don't always perform at their best; on the flip side, giving them Lu could really solidify their goaltending and help them become contenders which could really come back to bite us, esp. considering how he would be there to lock things down and give their young guns the confidence to do their thing. If that happened, even the 1st round pick may not be worth it.

I would be cautious of this move, to say the least. Rather let them finish with the big contracts themselves and continue to become younger.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#14 naslundfan921

naslundfan921

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,602 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:57 PM

Would rather take on one or both of Gagner (who is only signed for one year and could potentially leave Edmonton at season's end thus increasing risk for receiving team and slightly lowering value) and/or MPS (Struggling but has potential) rather than Hemsky in the deal if Edmonton would take it.

Gagner is still young and we can move Kesler to the wing like we did when we landed Sundin/ move Kes to the 3rd line in the event Gagner outperforms him

MPS is a gamble but 15 or so odd years ago we gambled on a high upside Swede and he turned out to be one of the best canucks ever (Not saying MPS will be naslund just saying its possible he becomes an impact player despite struggling now)

So in conclusion Gagner +/ or MPS +1st 2013 or 2014 for Luongo + filler

#15 Canada Hockey Place

Canada Hockey Place

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

I'd be happier with Paajarvi, Gagne + 1st too. Although I still feel that's not enough.

Cool family connections: Gagner's father is charge of Canucks player development. Paajarvi's father/agent is from Ornskoldsvik. http://www.gunnarsve...m/About-me.html
Quando omni flunkus moritati

#16 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 10:10 PM

Would rather take on one or both of Gagner (who is only signed for one year and could potentially leave Edmonton at season's end thus increasing risk for receiving team and slightly lowering value) and/or MPS (Struggling but has potential) rather than Hemsky in the deal if Edmonton would take it.

Gagner is still young and we can move Kesler to the wing like we did when we landed Sundin/ move Kes to the 3rd line in the event Gagner outperforms him

MPS is a gamble but 15 or so odd years ago we gambled on a high upside Swede and he turned out to be one of the best canucks ever (Not saying MPS will be naslund just saying its possible he becomes an impact player despite struggling now)

So in conclusion Gagner +/ or MPS +1st 2013 or 2014 for Luongo + filler

Gagner is an RFA at the end of the season, not a UFA.

#17 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:57 AM

DO NOT WANT HEMSKY! 5 Million dollar soft winger... we have that in Raymond for half the cost. Don't give me that playmaker *stuff*, let me know when he plays a full season and we'll talk. We're not trading a starter for their overpaid garbage.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#18 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,357 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:58 AM

DO NOT WANT HEMSKY! 5 Million dollar soft winger... we have that in Raymond for half the cost. Don't give me that playmaker *stuff*, let me know when he plays a full season and we'll talk. We're not trading a starter for their overpaid garbage.

This..lots of Coil lovers in this thread they want a top 5 goaltender for their crap.

#19 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:01 PM

This..lots of Coil lovers in this thread they want a top 5 goaltender for their crap.

Lots of Canuck fans that think they can get the moon for goalie who just lost his starter position and is still having a cap hit of 5.33 mil for the next 10 years.

#20 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,357 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

Lots of Canuck fans that think they can get the moon for goalie who just lost his starter position and is still having a cap hit of 5.33 mil for the next 10 years.

A goalie that could get and keep a team in playoff revenue for a few years would make his cap hit moot.

#21 wally23

wally23

K-Wing Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

hemsky gets hurt to easy

#22 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,207 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:47 PM

Absolutely not.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant, 31 October 2012 - 01:48 PM.

Posted Image

#23 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

How about
To Van- Ales Hemsky, Nikolai Khabibulin, 2nd Round pick.
To Edm - future considerations

My sarcasm above reflects how I feel about acquiring those players. I consider this to be a cap dump on their part actually (but they don't need to dump cap). I don't think we want Hemsky, period. I'd rather give Jensen or Kassian a shot on the second line or trade for a guy like Steen.

Edited by gizmo2337, 31 October 2012 - 03:33 PM.

#24 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:10 PM

A goalie that could get and keep a team in playoff revenue for a few years would make his cap hit moot.

Cap hit is never moot. Who would you rather have on your salary cap team? Crosby at 8.7 or Giroux at 3.75?

Ovechkin at 9.5 or Perry at 5.3?

It's all about bang for buck with the salary cap. Before the cap you might be right but not now.

How about
To Van- Ales Hemsky, Nikolai Khabibulin, 2nd Round pick.
To Edm - future considerations

My sarcasm above reflects how I feel about acquiring those players. I consider this to be a cap dump on their part actually (but they don't need to dump cap). I don't think we want Hemsky, period. I'd rather give Jensen or Kassian a shot on the second line or trade for a guy like Steen.

You can't just plop players on the 2nd line and expect them to succeed. Kassian doesn't even have a compilmentary skill set for Kesler even if he did prove to be a 2nd line NHLer which is a stretch since he couldn't even hold a 4th line job last season.

#25 gizmo2337

gizmo2337

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

Cap hit is never moot. Who would you rather have on your salary cap team? Crosby at 8.7 or Giroux at 3.75?

Ovechkin at 9.5 or Perry at 5.3?

It's all about bang for buck with the salary cap. Before the cap you might be right but not now.

You can't just plop players on the 2nd line and expect them to succeed. Kassian doesn't even have a compilmentary skill set for Kesler even if he did prove to be a 2nd line NHLer which is a stretch since he couldn't even hold a 4th line job last season.

Fair enough, Jensen probably won't be on the team until next year, and Kassian would need to work his way up by playing that defensive role first. Hence, my suggestion to trade for a guy like Steen who actually fills our needs. My main point is the OP doesn't have anything we need or want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.