The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Disney buys Lucas Films for 4 Billion and plans on coming out with Star Wars episode 7 in 2015

Samk

Gotta have an epic villain too.

What made the original Star Wars so great was the epic character of Darth Vader. That's the bar that they need to be aiming for.

I mean, how bad were the villains in episode 1 and 2? Sure the emporer's a pretty good villain, and Darth Maul was a pretty good villain visually. But there was too many other lame bad guys.

What made Batman so great? It was the villains. That's what everyone was talking about after those movies. The characters of the Joker and Bane stole the show in both movies. That's what they need to bring to Star Wars again.

from wikipedia

"Steranko in Prevue magazine published in late 1980, Lucas described how the expansive scope of Star Wars had started with an overlong screenplay: "So, I took the screenplay and divided it into three stories, and rewrote the first one. As I was writing, I came up with some ideas for a film about robots, with no humans in it. When I got to working on the Wookiee, I thought of a film just about Wookiees, nothing else. So, for a time, I had a couple of odd movies with just those characters. Then, I had the other two films, which were essentially split into three parts each, two trilogies. When the smoke cleared, I said, 'This is really great. I'll do another trilogy that takes place after this.' I had three trilogies of nine films, and then another couple of odd films. Essentially, there were twelve films." He then added that he had "eliminated the odd movies, because they really don't have anything to do with the Star Wars saga. ... I'm just going to keep it pure. It's a nine-part saga that has a beginning, a middle and an end. It progresses over a period of about fifty or sixty years with about twenty years between trilogies, each trilogy taking about six or seven years."[6] In this interview, Lucas also stated that he had "titles and ten-page story outlines for each of" the nine episodes"

yeah, it kind of sounds like lucas might have an idea or two on a main character...

as to the awful episodes 1, 2 and 3... taken by themselves i think they may have been good, popular movies (except episode 1 which was terribad) but being held up to the original star wars trilogy kind of doomed it from the start. im excited that i'm going to see the end of the story - and good or bad (i hope really really good) its a better option than lucas dying without the movies being made... i just hope he learned his lessons from episodes 1 2 and 3.

Gotta have an epic villain too.

What made the original Star Wars so great was the epic character of Darth Vader. That's the bar that they need to be aiming for.

I mean, how bad were the villains in episode 1 and 2? Sure the emporer's a pretty good villain, and Darth Maul was a pretty good villain visually. But there was too many other lame bad guys.

What made Batman so great? It was the villains. That's what everyone was talking about after those movies. The characters of the Joker and Bane stole the show in both movies. That's what they need to bring to Star Wars again.

Finally a Star Wars movie without Lucas's trademark terrible dialog! It was pretty straightforward in episode 4 and 5 but 6 was getting goofy and 1-3 has some of the hands down cheesiest dialog of all time. Just awful.

With new writers and Lucas only on board to offer advice we should see a vast improvement in the upcoming movies.

This universe is big enough to roll out movies forever! and with Disney willing to milk this cash cow forever it seems guaranteed.

They really need to step back and capture what made the franchise great. It was an epic sci fi with a ton of great characters and interesting story. For me the latest versions relied entirely too much on graphics. They need to go old school again and really ease animations into the scenes. They really need to show the darkest dark side ever. Against the purest light side they can think of. Then meld it together into a clash unlike ever seen.

I want to see a trailer and be shocked to find out its for Star Wars. Disney had better deliver.

They really need to step back and capture what made the franchise great. It was an epic sci fi with a ton of great characters and interesting story. For me the latest versions relied entirely too much on graphics. They need to go old school again and really ease animations into the scenes. They really need to show the darkest dark side ever. Against the purest light side they can think of. Then meld it together into a clash unlike ever seen.

I want to see a trailer and be shocked to find out its for Star Wars. Disney had better deliver.

It's a gold mine, they have no choice. Even from a soulless, corporate point of view, Disney is stupid good at making money, and they will never make back the $4B they dropped today unless they put out great movies. Your average Star Wars fan is going to have mixed feelings about this, but I imagine that if the trailer for VII looks great, everyone will give it a try. If they drop a massive deuce on the franchise with VII, no one will come for VIII. It'll just be labeled the piece of corporate trash that everyone was worried it would be and Disney will end up eating a ton of money. They're too smart not to realize that, they wouldn't have spent that much if they weren't expecting on making three or four times that back on the franchise, and they'll never do it without making, to start, a successful Star Wars VII.

Or they could release the original, un-messed-with Trilogy on Blu-Ray. That's probably going to bring in a quick half billion.

It's a gold mine, they have no choice. Even from a soulless, corporate point of view, Disney is stupid good at making money, and they will never make back the $4B they dropped today unless they put out great movies. Your average Star Wars fan is going to have mixed feelings about this, but I imagine that if the trailer for VII looks great, everyone will give it a try. If they drop a massive deuce on the franchise with VII, no one will come for VIII. It'll just be labeled the piece of corporate trash that everyone was worried it would be and Disney will end up eating a ton of money. They're too smart not to realize that, they wouldn't have spent that much if they weren't expecting on making three or four times that back on the franchise, and they'll never do it without making, to start, a successful Star Wars VII.

Or they could release the original, un-messed-with Trilogy on Blu-Ray. That's probably going to bring in a quick half billion.

I'm on the fence, but leaning towards this being a very bad thing. Yes there is a possibility they go ransack the books and make a great canon set of films that makes everyone happy, but even if they tried they won't, and there will be much complaining.

and if they do? What then, Solo's twin sibling feud? That's such a small part of the entire book series to focus on, even if there's more than enough for 3 movies. It'll just leave a sour taste at the end.

and if they create something new, well, I don't even want to think about it. It'll be a disaster.

It isn't just from movies that the money will be made back.

If you have been to Disneyland/Disneyworld ... you will notice that Star Wars and Indiana Jones have a decent size presence... so by buying the company - Disney will no longer have to pay rights to Lucasfilms to have these attractions. It also allows them to further expand those films presence in the parks.

Furthermore - there are still TV shows, Lego Star Wars, toys etc. that will bring in more money for Disney.

Disney now owns Marvel and Lucasfilms... which is HUGE portion of the toy market.

I'm on the fence, but leaning towards this being a very bad thing. Yes there is a possibility they go ransack the books and make a great canon set of films that makes everyone happy, but even if they tried they won't, and there will be much complaining.

and if they do? What then, Solo's twin sibling feud? That's such a small part of the entire book series to focus on, even if there's more than enough for 3 movies. It'll just leave a sour taste at the end.

and if they create something new, well, I don't even want to think about it. It'll be a disaster.

Archived