Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Disney buys Lucas Films for 4 Billion and plans on coming out with Star Wars episode 7 in 2015

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#31 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,327 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

Man, you guys are acting like eighties never ended. Star Wars has been milked for garbage products, re-releases, sequels, and spin offs for over two decades now.

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#32 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

yeah seriously... the 9 part story of star wars has an episode 7, and that is the next one to come out.

i don't see what the issue is here? makes perfect sense to me

So the story is already written then? George Lucas already wrote it right?

I'm guessing it won't be the same characters. Anyone know who the main character is?

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#33 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

I'm not pleased with this. I don't care about the Lucas Films sale, but its extremely likely that any more Star Wars movies will ruin the franchise. Where would they go with the storyline? Would they follow the Expanded Star Wars Universe? Would they use all new characters? The force is not strong with Disney.

#34 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

yeah seriously... the 9 part story of star wars has an episode 7, and that is the next one to come out.

i don't see what the issue is here? makes perfect sense to me

Based solely on this comment - safe to assume that you are in your teens or EARLY 20's.

If you don't see the issue - put Episode 1, 2 OR 3 into your DVD player.... that should give you the answer WHY it's an issue.

(DeNiro beat me to my other point)

Edited by Squeak, 30 October 2012 - 02:28 PM.

Posted Image

#35 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

Man, you guys are acting like eighties never ended. Star Wars has been milked for garbage products, re-releases, sequels, and spin offs for over two decades now.

Yea but at least when it was George Lucas doing it all, it was his vision and his dream being put out there. No matter how bad the new movies were.

Now, who knows what Disney's going to turn it into. Are they going to make Jar Jar Binks the main character so that they can sell it to kids?

Based on Disney's track record of doing big blockbuster action movies, I don't expect much.

Posted Image

#36 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:28 PM

So the story is already written then? George Lucas already wrote it right?

I'm guessing it won't be the same characters. Anyone know who the main character is?

From Wiki, so take it for what it is: http://en.wikipedia...._sequel_trilogy

Hans Solo, Luke Skywalker in their 60s, 70s... and this is supposed to appeal to a Disney audience? I bet Disney guts this.

I predict some hunk in his 20s with a Blake Lively-esque heroine.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#37 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

Hans Solo, Luke Skywalker in their 60s, 70s... and this is supposed to appeal to a Disney audience? I bet Disney guts this.

Those plans were scrapped long ago, as it stated in the linked articles for that wiki page.

Edited by Squeak, 30 October 2012 - 02:30 PM.

Posted Image

#38 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,068 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

It will be following the adventures of Chad Vader, day shift manager at Empire Market.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#39 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

I bet Harrison Ford or Mark Hamil at least make cameo appearances in them.

I wish they would go darker with Star Wars, kind of like they did with Batman. But the problem is, if it's Disney that will never happen. They have to appeal to families, because that's what their brand is.

Posted Image

#40 drdeath

drdeath

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,076 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

I remember seeing an interview (for the 97 special edition) with George where he talked about the whole story being 9 episodes. He mentioned how there's supposed to be a prequel trilogy as well as the story continuing on. 7,8,9 are about the New Republic but with how much George connected 1-6 with the story of Anakin I'm not sure if 7,8,9 could have any real continuity anymore. I would definitely be interested if Disney had just done a different Star Wars franchise set in a different timeframe.

aXmDa9t.gif

#41 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

I remember seeing an interview (for the 97 special edition) with George where he talked about the whole story being 9 episodes. He mentioned how there's supposed to be a prequel trilogy as well as the story continuing on. 7,8,9 are about the New Republic but with how much George connected 1-6 with the story of Anakin I'm not sure if 7,8,9 could have any real continuity anymore. I would definitely be interested if Disney had just done a different Star Wars franchise set in a different timeframe.

They'll probably still stick with some kind of Skywalker offspring. I would like to see another Hans Solo type, that was missing from 1-3.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#42 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:34 PM

http://en.wikipedia...._sequel_trilogy

Abandonment of sequel trilogy (from 1997)

In publicity interviews relating to the release of the 1997 Special Editions of Episodes IV to VI and the planned Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, Lucas began to convey that it was unlikely that he would make the sequel trilogy. At a 1997 Special Edition press conference Lucas remarked, "[E]veryone said, 'Well, are you going to do sequels to the first three?' But that was an afterthought; I don't have scripts on those stories. The only notion on that was, wouldn't it be fun to get all the actors to come back when they're 60 or 70 years old and make three more about them as old people. That's how far that has gone, but the first six will definitely get finished."[18] In a 1997 issue of Star Wars Insider, Lucas said, "The whole story has six episodes.... If I ever went beyond that, it would be something that was made up. I really don't have any notion other than, 'Gee, it would be interesting to do Luke Skywalker later on.' It wouldn't be part of the main story, but a sequel to this thing."[23] In an online Q&A hosted by Leonard Maltin and published in December 1997, Lucas was asked "Will we ever get to see Episodes 7, 8 and 9?", to which he answered, "Right at this moment, the answer is no. Once the prequel trilogy is complete I plan to put Star Wars on the shelf and walk away from it for good. There are many other kinds of films I would like to make."[24]
This was confirmed in an interview Lucas gave to Vanity Fair, published in its February 1999 issue. "When you see it in six parts, you'll understand," he said. "It really ends at part six." He added, "I never had a story for the sequels, for the later ones."[25][26][27] (In 2008, after all six films had been released, Lucas clarified that it was the resolution of the Anakin Skywalker / Luke Skywalker storyline that represented the saga's end: "The movies were the story of Anakin Skywalker and Luke Skywalker, and when Luke saves the galaxy and redeems his father, that's where that story ends."[28]) Asked about the possibility of someone else making Star Wars films, Lucas said, "Probably not, it's my thing."[25][26][27] In August 1999, at a press conference in New York City to discuss The Phantom Menace, Lucas was categorical. The following exchange at the press conference was reported by Starlog magazine[29]:

Q: Does that mean you won't do Episodes VII, VIII and IX?
Lucas: I will not do VII, VIII and IX.

Q: You will not? Will they be made by somebody else?
Lucas: No. They will not.

Q: So this trilogy ends it?
Lucas: This is it. This is all there is.

A further comment Lucas made at that 1999 press conference noted the "nine year commitment" required to make a Star Wars trilogy. The theme of the commitment required, and his age, were the subject of his remarks in following years about why his position had changed about the sequel trilogy. In 2002, he described his past answers about the sequels in this way: "Basically what I said as a joke was, 'Maybe when Harrison and Carrie are in their 70s, we'll come back and do another version.' The thing I didn't realize then, and that I do realize now very clearly, is that not only would they be in their 70s, but I would be in my 70s too." In 2007 Lucas described making the films at that age as "An idea that seemed amusing at the time, but doesn't seem realistic now", and suggested that 'off-the-cuff' comments he had made in earlier years about the sequel trilogy had been misconstrued as absolute statements.[30] In relation to his decision to begin work on the prequel trilogy when he did, he also said: "To start Star Wars when you're 65, the chances of finishing it are diminished" (a remark that could equally refer to the sequel trilogy).[31]
In 2012, as part of an interview with The New York Times, discussing negative fan reactions to the prequel trilogy and to alterations made to the original trilogy, Lucas said, regarding further Star Wars films: "Why would I make any more, when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"[32]

In an interview published in Total Film in May 2008, Lucas also ruled out anybody else ever making the sequel trilogy (or other future Star Wars features). Asked if he was happy for new Star Wars tales to be told after he was gone, Lucas replied: "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII–IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."[33] The phenomenon of the Star Wars 'Expanded Universe', with stories told in novels, comic books and other media, also appears to have been a factor in Lucas seeing no need to produce a sequel trilogy: "Whatever it is that happens afterward, that isn't the core Star Wars story that I like to tell," he said in 2008. "There really isn't any story to tell there. It's been covered in the books and video games and comic books, which are things I think are incredibly creative but that I don't really have anything to do with other than being the person who built the sandbox they're playing in."[28]

That should solve the 'question' of whether he wrote anything..... I do find this funny:

Q: Does that mean you won't do Episodes VII, VIII and IX?
Lucas: I will not do VII, VIII and IX.

Q: You will not? Will they be made by somebody else?
Lucas: No. They will not.

Q: So this trilogy ends it?
Lucas: This is it. This is all there is.

But then he got offered $4.5 BILLION dollars.

Edited by Squeak, 30 October 2012 - 02:36 PM.

Posted Image

#43 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

They'll probably still stick with some kind of Skywalker offspring. I would like to see another Hans Solo type, that was missing from 1-3.

Dustin Hoffman as Bill Skywalker?

Or wait, I know! How about Justin Bieber playing Luke's great grandson. Imagine the $$!!!

Edited by DeNiro, 30 October 2012 - 02:40 PM.

Posted Image

#44 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:39 PM

I remember being about 9 when I saw A New Hope on vhs, was a great day

Stood in line for the premier of Phantom Menace, not so great

here's hoping for 7-9 getting back to the original magic. hopefully it can still be branded as Lucasfilm, and not have the limitations a Disney movie would

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

#45 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 31,549 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

The resurrection of their John Carter series should work well with a rename to Star Wars ep. 7.

Off-topic, was just thinking, 'Hey, where's the Dune remake?' and then i google it and see it's coming in 2014. Shouldn't have even asked myself. Everything that i have seen will come back sooner or later.
Posted Image

#46 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

The director and the casting will determine everything.

If they get James Cameron or Christopher Nolan, it would be awesome. Not gonna happen though.

And go back to using models and puppets. So much better then blowing the budget on special effects.

Posted Image

#47 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

The story of Hans Solo and Princess Lea's son turning to the dark side is a good story. The heroine in that storyline is the son's twin sister who saves the day and kills her brother.

#48 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,068 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:49 PM

Or wait, I know! How about Justin Bieber playing Luke's great grandson. Imagine the $$!!!

Jake Lloyd (Anakin from Ep 1) is about the right age to play his own grandson or great-grandson, depending on when the movie is set.
Posted Image

#49 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

I would love to see Yoda training Donald Duck
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#50 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,068 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

I would love to see Yoda training Donald Duck

If anger leads to the dark side, Donald Duck doesn't stand a chance.
Posted Image

#51 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,384 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

Salo and Leia's kid?
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

#52 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,663 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

Jake Lloyd (Anakin from Ep 1) is about the right age to play his own grandson or great-grandson, depending on when the movie is set.

Eww. That kid single handedly ruined episode one with his horrible acting.

That's what I'm talking about with casting. It's everything to a movie other than the script. If you don't have good actors, it doesn't matter how good the story or directing is.

Not that those were very good in episode 1 either...

Posted Image

#53 canucks_dynasty

canucks_dynasty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,067 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:57 PM

I think...

Ep 7 will be where Luke turns to the Dark Side like his father before him. He briefly touched upon it when battling Darth Vadar. Leia then takes on a quest to become a Jedi since Yoda hinted she could become one.

Ep8 will be when Darth Luke is ruling. Han and Leia have children...twins.

Ep9 will be when the twins become Jedi and together defeat Darth Luke.

:lol:

#54 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,854 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:03 PM

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#55 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

I think...

Ep 7 will be where Luke turns to the Dark Side like his father before him. He briefly touched upon it when battling Darth Vadar. Leia then takes on a quest to become a Jedi since Yoda hinted she could become one.

Ep8 will be when Darth Luke is ruling. Han and Leia have children...twins.

Ep9 will be when the twins become Jedi and together defeat Darth Luke.

:lol:

In the Expanded Star Wars Universe Luke does apprentice under a Sith Lord for a while, to understand the dark side but he comes back to the light. Han and Lea so have twins, their son becomes a Sith Lord and is killed by his twin sister.

Edited by Darth Kane, 30 October 2012 - 03:06 PM.

#56 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,039 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:05 PM

The story of Hans Solo and Princess Lea's son turning to the dark side is a good story.  The heroine in that storyline is the son's twin sister who saves the day and kills her brother.

This is a good possibility. Jacen Solo turns to the dark side and becomes Darth Caedus. His antagonist eventually becomes his twin sister Jaina. (who after training with the Mandalorians, is known as the Sword of the Jedi)

Those of us who have been reading the multiple print additions to the Star Wars franchise know that there are several angles which could be pursued. For example, there is the not so subtle suggestion that the tipping point for Jacen's defection was his incarceration by the Yuuzhan Vong.

The story of the Vong invasion by itself, could encompass several films...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#57 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

This is a good possibility. Jacen Solo turns to the dark side and becomes Darth Caedus. His antagonist eventually becomes his twin sister Jaina. (who after training with the Mandalorians, is known as the Sword of the Jedi)

Those of us who have been reading the multiple print additions to the Star Wars franchise know that there are several angles which could be pursued. For example, there is the not so subtle suggestion that the tipping point for Jacen's defection was his incarceration by the Yuuzhan Vong.

The story of the Vong invasion by itself, could encompass several films...

The Vong would make a great storyline, and it would lead into Jacen Solo turning to the dark side.

Personally, I'd like to see the Star Wars franchise go back in time and focus on Darth Bane. There could be some major battle scenes between the Sith and Jedi. Bane is the true Sith'ari.

Edited by Darth Kane, 30 October 2012 - 03:12 PM.

#58 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

They still have to bring back Luke, Solo, and Leia......too bad the actor are a bit old but I think makeup and other special effect can make them 10 years younger........R2 D2 and C3P0 should be back but in the backstory like Luke is the head of the new jedi council, Leia a senator, etc

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#59 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,971 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:21 PM

I'll judge after I watch it.

They still have to bring back Luke, Solo, and Leia......too bad the actor are a bit old but I think makeup and other special effect can make them 10 years younger........R2 D2 and C3P0 should be back but in the backstory like Luke is the head of the new jedi council, Leia a senator, etc

Easily possible. Look what they did with Jeff Bridges in Tron Legacy. (Himself on the left, himself after special effects to make him younger on the right)

Not to mention this is Disney's technology.

Posted Image

Edited by Armada, 30 October 2012 - 03:23 PM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#60 Humble Rodent

Humble Rodent

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

let's not pretend the star wars have not already been raped to the absolute rock bottom of cinema. there's really no way they can make them as bad as the prequels and disney isn't stupid.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.