Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Disney buys Lucas Films for 4 Billion and plans on coming out with Star Wars episode 7 in 2015

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#61 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,854 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:24 PM

People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be “replaced” by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten.

Attention should be paid to this question of our soul, and not simply to accounting procedures. Attention should be paid to the interest of those who are yet unborn, who should be able to see this generation as it saw itself, and the past generation as it saw itself.

-- George Lucas's 1988 speech to the U.S. Congress

As darth vader NOW says ...NOOOOOOOOO.......

Edited by The Ratiocinator, 30 October 2012 - 03:25 PM.

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#62 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

Disney need to pay a lot of money to bring the best Sci-fiction director on board.........James Cameron? no chance with Avator? JJ Adam he is now doing star trek franchise.........?

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#63 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,970 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

Disney need to pay a lot of money to bring the best Sci-fiction director on board.........James Cameron? no chance with Avator? JJ Adam he is now doing star trek franchise.........?

Ya but Avatar was terrible...

I don't want James Cameron making Star Wars.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#64 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

I didnt watch Avatar dont see the hype for it......who do you think would be a good director?

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

#65 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,068 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

I would love to see Yoda training Donald Duck

It's too late, he's already turned to the dark side...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#66 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:37 PM

^^

:lol:
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#67 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,658 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

2.8 billion dollars worldwide says it wasn't that bad.

He's also the guy who did Terminator and Aliens. Do you have a problem with those?

He's shown that he can master big blockbuster movies. And the most important thing for Disney is that he knows how to make money.

It likely won't be him because he has other comittments though. But this is the type of big name director they need to bring the franchise back to greatness.

Another option could be Peter Jackson or Ridley Scott. But bottom line is, Disney has to put it's money where it's mouth is and go big if they want it to be good.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#68 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

It was not terrible in the slightest; it just did not live up to expectations.
Posted Image

#69 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,384 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

Avator was great, so I'd be ok with Cameron taking a run at Star Wars. Peter Jackson or Christopher Nolan would also both be good choices too. Both directors managed to take on icon nerd fantasy franchises without pissing off too many nerdy film critics.
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

#70 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

2.8 billion dollars worldwide says it wasn't that bad.

He's also the guy who did Terminator and Aliens. Do you have a problem with those?

He's shown that he can master big blockbuster movies. And the most important thing for Disney is that he knows how to make money.

It likely won't be him because he has other comittments though. But this is the type of big name director they need to bring the franchise back to greatness.

Another option could be Peter Jackson or Ridley Scott. But bottom line is, Disney has to put it's money where it's mouth is and go big if they want it to be good.

Count Peter Jackson out - Doing the Hobbit Trilogy.

If someone suggests Michael Bay... then there is no hope for humanity.
Posted Image

#71 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,970 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:43 PM

I didnt watch Avatar dont see the hype for it......who do you think would be a good director?

I'm a big fan of Quentin Tarantino.

The guy makes great movies. Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Inglorious Bastards, Kill Bill, Django Unchained.

But I don't see him fitting the role for a Disney Star Wars movie :lol:.

I elect Michael Bay as the new Star Wars director :lol:

That would be terrible... Explosion

Edited by Armada, 30 October 2012 - 03:44 PM.

Posted Image

#72 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,658 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

Oh right, I forgot they're doing that as a trilogy. Nevermind.

Ridley Scott is not a bad option then. He has done blockbuster action movies like Gladiator, and has lots of experience with Sc-Fi having done Blade Runner and Alien.

Posted Image

#73 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

Avator was great, so I'd be ok with Cameron taking a run at Star Wars. Peter Jackson or Christopher Nolan would also both be good choices too. Both directors managed to take on icon nerd fantasy franchises without pissing off too many nerdy film critics.

too late for Cameron for doing Star War 7.......he directing Avatar 2

#74 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,970 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:50 PM

Avatar was not great. It was a glorified "Dances With The Wolves" with flashy effects pulled off with a mediocre boring story. I'd give it a 6.8/10.

I couldn't even pull myself to finish the last 8 minutes.

Edited by Armada, 30 October 2012 - 03:50 PM.

Posted Image

#75 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,854 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#76 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:53 PM

I could See Christopher Nolan make Star War 7 because he reborn Batman series......he can definately reborn Star War back to 80s of the original trilogy

#77 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,658 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

Gotta have an epic villain too.

What made the original Star Wars so great was the epic character of Darth Vader. That's the bar that they need to be aiming for.

I mean, how bad were the villains in episode 1 and 2? Sure the emporer's a pretty good villain, and Darth Maul was a pretty good villain visually. But there was too many other lame bad guys.

What made Batman so great? It was the villains. That's what everyone was talking about after those movies. The characters of the Joker and Bane stole the show in both movies. That's what they need to bring to Star Wars again.

Edited by DeNiro, 30 October 2012 - 03:57 PM.

Posted Image

#78 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:01 PM

I'm surprised at the negative reactions. Disney may make a lot of childish trash, but they are behind a LOT of good stuff. Every screenwriter in the world is going to come knocking at this, and I'm willing to bet that a lot of good screenwriters under 40 honed their craft writing Star Wars fanfic/EU stuff. Lucas is a terrible scriptwriter. He had a decent idea and the special effects were amazing, but the movies have gotten significantly worse each time since they peaked with Empire. I think this is going to be great. Disney can finance everything they want, get any screenwriter they want, and if you consider what portion of the established EU has been put on the screen, there is so much story to be told.

This is going to be like Nolan taking over Batman. I think 7 is going to be stellar.

Edited by coleman26, 30 October 2012 - 04:05 PM.

#79 G.K. Chesterton

G.K. Chesterton

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,038 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:19 PM

Please be Joss Whedon, please be Joss Whedon...

But I hope they set the new films well after ROTJ...too much EU stuff going on (Chewbacca dying, Jacen + Jaina + Anakin, etc...).
“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

#80 thelastguy

thelastguy

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

"Why would I make any more,” Lucas says of the “Star Wars” movies, “when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?”
http://www.nytimes.c...gewanted=3&_r=2

What did we do to this man?

#81 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:21 PM

So the story is already written then? George Lucas already wrote it right?

I'm guessing it won't be the same characters. Anyone know who the main character is?

from wikipedia

"Steranko in Prevue magazine published in late 1980, Lucas described how the expansive scope of Star Wars had started with an overlong screenplay: "So, I took the screenplay and divided it into three stories, and rewrote the first one. As I was writing, I came up with some ideas for a film about robots, with no humans in it. When I got to working on the Wookiee, I thought of a film just about Wookiees, nothing else. So, for a time, I had a couple of odd movies with just those characters. Then, I had the other two films, which were essentially split into three parts each, two trilogies. When the smoke cleared, I said, 'This is really great. I'll do another trilogy that takes place after this.' I had three trilogies of nine films, and then another couple of odd films. Essentially, there were twelve films." He then added that he had "eliminated the odd movies, because they really don't have anything to do with the Star Wars saga. ... I'm just going to keep it pure. It's a nine-part saga that has a beginning, a middle and an end. It progresses over a period of about fifty or sixty years with about twenty years between trilogies, each trilogy taking about six or seven years."[6] In this interview, Lucas also stated that he had "titles and ten-page story outlines for each of" the nine episodes"

yeah, it kind of sounds like lucas might have an idea or two on a main character...

as to the awful episodes 1, 2 and 3... taken by themselves i think they may have been good, popular movies (except episode 1 which was terribad) but being held up to the original star wars trilogy kind of doomed it from the start. im excited that i'm going to see the end of the story - and good or bad (i hope really really good) its a better option than lucas dying without the movies being made... i just hope he learned his lessons from episodes 1 2 and 3.

Edited by KING ALBERTS, 30 October 2012 - 04:22 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#82 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

But I hope they set the new films well after ROTJ...too much EU stuff going on (Chewbacca dying, Jacen + Jaina + Anakin, etc...).

Yeah, Joss Whedon would be amazing. Another friend of mine floated Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright, who would probably not only do it for nothing, but faint at the pitch meeting from sheer excitement.

I imagine that they'll do 7 within the same storyline. There's a lot of EU stuff they'll leave out, but a rebuilding Jedi Order with Luke being the new Yoda should be expected. I suspect 7-8-9 will deal with the re-emergence of the Sith and the eventual transition of power from Luke to an apprentice. It's almost necessary that they close that off, and by calling it 7 instead of just 'a new Star Wars movie' they've basically guaranteed it.

#83 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:28 PM

What made the original Star Wars so great was the epic character of Darth Vader. That's the bar that they need to be aiming for.

I mean, how bad were the villains in episode 1 and 2? Sure the emporer's a pretty good villain, and Darth Maul was a pretty good villain visually. But there was too many other lame bad guys.

What made Batman so great? It was the villains. That's what everyone was talking about after those movies. The characters of the Joker and Bane stole the show in both movies. That's what they need to bring to Star Wars again.

Any hero is only as good as the villain is bad. Darth Maul was a terrible Sith, he was more of a hired goon than anything else.

#84 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

no chance as he doing The Avengers 2 which will out in 2015.......

#85 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,348 posts

George Lucas had a plan to make 9 films out of this franchise... it is not that big of a deal, I'd still go watch it, as much as I didn't like Jar Jar, I still watch parts 1-3 on the old blu-ray & surround sound.

#86 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,658 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

Well I would attribute it to him not being a young dreamer any more. When you're at that stage of your life, you don't care what other people think.

When directors or actors, or even athletes are young and hungry, that's when they typically do their best work. But once they make it big and become rich, that's when they lose their drive and passion. It sucks, but you see it in all aspects of entertainment. Artists and and athletes need angst to push them forward.

It's why you'll never see Lucas do another good movie. He's just not motivated by the same things as before I don't think. A large part of that has to do with how movies have changed though. It seems like movies are becoming less and less about story and substance, and more about how much money it can make. And any really good movie is driven by vision, not by dollars.

This is Lucas's chance to pass on his franchise to a director who still has that passion and angst to do something great.

Edited by DeNiro, 30 October 2012 - 04:39 PM.

Posted Image

#87 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,258 posts

from wikipedia

"Steranko in Prevue magazine published in late 1980, Lucas described how the expansive scope of Star Wars had started with an overlong screenplay: "So, I took the screenplay and divided it into three stories, and rewrote the first one. As I was writing, I came up with some ideas for a film about robots, with no humans in it. When I got to working on the Wookiee, I thought of a film just about Wookiees, nothing else. So, for a time, I had a couple of odd movies with just those characters. Then, I had the other two films, which were essentially split into three parts each, two trilogies. When the smoke cleared, I said, 'This is really great. I'll do another trilogy that takes place after this.' I had three trilogies of nine films, and then another couple of odd films. Essentially, there were twelve films." He then added that he had "eliminated the odd movies, because they really don't have anything to do with the Star Wars saga. ... I'm just going to keep it pure. It's a nine-part saga that has a beginning, a middle and an end. It progresses over a period of about fifty or sixty years with about twenty years between trilogies, each trilogy taking about six or seven years."[6] In this interview, Lucas also stated that he had "titles and ten-page story outlines for each of" the nine episodes"

yeah, it kind of sounds like lucas might have an idea or two on a main character...

as to the awful episodes 1, 2 and 3... taken by themselves i think they may have been good, popular movies (except episode 1 which was terribad) but being held up to the original star wars trilogy kind of doomed it from the start. im excited that i'm going to see the end of the story - and good or bad (i hope really really good) its a better option than lucas dying without the movies being made... i just hope he learned his lessons from episodes 1 2 and 3.

He didn't ask if it 'conceptually' was 9 movies.

He pointed out that it was never written (let alone story-treated) --- and as I posted late in thread, was never actually started.
Posted Image

#88 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

We pissed him off, then gave him enough money to make a for reals Death Star.

Oh. :(

#89 Sanford

Sanford

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,422 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:47 PM

Honesly what's wrong with episode 7?

If Arnold is that old and gonna make a new Conan the Barbarian why not.
Posted Image

#90 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,769 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:49 PM

the villans were mostly the politicians, and how all the back room deals led to the fall of the republic and into the empire

Coming out at the same time as the wars in Iraq/Afghanistan I think that was the message, yet is terrible for a movie like Star Wars, too much of an agenda

6xFRVi3.png

Credit to bananamash for the sig. Credit to torts for being stubborn

Bring Back the Totems!
NHLSL Winnipeg Jets

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.