The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Disney buys Lucas Films for 4 Billion and plans on coming out with Star Wars episode 7 in 2015

Samk

People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society.

In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be “replaced” by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten.

Attention should be paid to this question of our soul, and not simply to accounting procedures. Attention should be paid to the interest of those who are yet unborn, who should be able to see this generation as it saw itself, and the past generation as it saw itself.

-- George Lucas's 1988 speech to the U.S. Congress

As darth vader NOW says ...NOOOOOOOOO.......

2.8 billion dollars worldwide says it wasn't that bad.

He's also the guy who did Terminator and Aliens. Do you have a problem with those?

He's shown that he can master big blockbuster movies. And the most important thing for Disney is that he knows how to make money.

It likely won't be him because he has other comittments though. But this is the type of big name director they need to bring the franchise back to greatness.

Another option could be Peter Jackson or Ridley Scott. But bottom line is, Disney has to put it's money where it's mouth is and go big if they want it to be good.

Avator was great, so I'd be ok with Cameron taking a run at Star Wars. Peter Jackson or Christopher Nolan would also both be good choices too. Both directors managed to take on icon nerd fantasy franchises without pissing off too many nerdy film critics.

Gotta have an epic villain too.

What made the original Star Wars so great was the epic character of Darth Vader. That's the bar that they need to be aiming for.

I mean, how bad were the villains in episode 1 and 2? Sure the emporer's a pretty good villain, and Darth Maul was a pretty good villain visually. But there was too many other lame bad guys.

What made Batman so great? It was the villains. That's what everyone was talking about after those movies. The characters of the Joker and Bane stole the show in both movies. That's what they need to bring to Star Wars again.

I'm surprised at the negative reactions. Disney may make a lot of childish trash, but they are behind a LOT of good stuff. Every screenwriter in the world is going to come knocking at this, and I'm willing to bet that a lot of good screenwriters under 40 honed their craft writing Star Wars fanfic/EU stuff. Lucas is a terrible scriptwriter. He had a decent idea and the special effects were amazing, but the movies have gotten significantly worse each time since they peaked with Empire. I think this is going to be great. Disney can finance everything they want, get any screenwriter they want, and if you consider what portion of the established EU has been put on the screen, there is so much story to be told.

This is going to be like Nolan taking over Batman. I think 7 is going to be stellar.

Archived