The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Disney buys Lucas Films for 4 Billion and plans on coming out with Star Wars episode 7 in 2015

Samk

It's a gold mine, they have no choice. Even from a soulless, corporate point of view, Disney is stupid good at making money, and they will never make back the $4B they dropped today unless they put out great movies. Your average Star Wars fan is going to have mixed feelings about this, but I imagine that if the trailer for VII looks great, everyone will give it a try. If they drop a massive deuce on the franchise with VII, no one will come for VIII. It'll just be labeled the piece of corporate trash that everyone was worried it would be and Disney will end up eating a ton of money. They're too smart not to realize that, they wouldn't have spent that much if they weren't expecting on making three or four times that back on the franchise, and they'll never do it without making, to start, a successful Star Wars VII.

Or they could release the original, un-messed-with Trilogy on Blu-Ray. That's probably going to bring in a quick half billion.

I just hope it's good enough to make everyone forgot about episodes 1, 2, and 3. Then people can just buy the boxset of episodes 4-9, and forget that the first three ever happened.

But anyways, to put things in perspective. Episode 1 had a budget of 115 million, and made 500 million at the box office. That doesn't even include DVD sales. And that was the worst one out of the bunch.

So if you assume Disney is going to go big, and they likely will. Let's say they spend 350 million on it, they'll likely make at least 1.5 billion just at the box office, even if it is a piece of crap like episode 1. But it will probably be closer to 3 billion if they do a good job on it.

I don't think they'll have any problem making money.

You must have missed the part where it said they're doing 8 and 9 as well. Plus they're going to release a new one every couple years after that.

Plus like others have said, Lucas Film owns other creative properties that make a ton of money.

They're going big with this. Like Avatar big. They'll spend 400 million dollars on this thing, and probably make their money back 10 fold when all is said and done.

One thing that the Star Wars franchise has over avatar is that 1) it is already ingrained in popular culture, and 2) the merchandising and licensing oportunities will be through the roof.

that's assuming people will still be as into star wars as they were before the complete garbage that were episodes 1 and 2, episode 3 somewhat made up for it but they really are all complete garbage compared to 4, 5 and 6.

they'll need to do a good job with 7 or nobody will even care about 8 and 9

Archived