The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Leafs Bozak Takes Heat for "Blackface" Halloween Costume

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Tropic Thunder was absolutely hilarious (one of the funniest movies I've seen in years) and received a great response from critics (83% on Rotten Tomatoes and VERY positive reviews from Ebert, Travers, Berardinelli, etc.). I'm not sure if it's because I work in the film industry but I thought it was one of the better industry satires around. And if it weren't for the now-legendary performance from Heath Ledger, I honestly feel the academy should have given BSA to Downey.

I was a rastafarian last year, And had no problems with. I have a few black friends but they loved it. Its called a costume people. They are meant to be as real as possible. I understand the fact that blacks were a part of slavery and it was a very bad time for their people. But can we all please grow up?

Its a costume and its meant to be authentic. How can An 80's Micheal be authentic without the black skin? He did a good job of it and I give him props for how well it was done.

I think you need to know the history of black face before you start throwing stones. Black face began back in the 1800's simply because people of colour were not allowed on the stage. Simple, it was a racist policy and "blackface" done as that is wrong. And if it wasn't for Al Jolson in the Jazz Singer, it would have been swept under the carpet like so many of the American racial policies. Colouring your skin in a respectful way to represent another culture is not "blackface", or whiteface or yellowface or any other face. As someone else mentioned, is dressing up like Psy an insult? Or a geisha, a man as a nun, a maori, an "east indian" or many other inumerable costumes? What about a jew dressed as Adolph Hitler (Mel Brooks movies). Somebody may take offense, but they need to look at what is behind it. Look at all the dusters that were filmed in the first half of the 20th century. Most of the native Americans were white folk in costume. But do we light our hair on fire when some kid dresses up in an "Indian" costume? Well we should if we think blackface is absolutely wrong with no reservations, but we don't as for the most part we see the fun in it. So while I would say that the gal in the picture a few back that dressed up like a gangsta sl^t is wrong for all the obvious reasons, I have no problems with what Bozak did as long as he is sincere in his respect for MJ.

I think you need to know the history of black face before you start throwing stones. Black face began back in the 1800's simply because people of colour were not allowed on the stage. Simple, it was a racist policy and "blackface" done as that is wrong. And if it wasn't for Al Jolson in the Jazz Singer, it would have been swept under the carpet like so many of the American racial policies. Colouring your skin in a respectful way to represent another culture is not "blackface", or whiteface or yellowface or any other face. As someone else mentioned, is dressing up like Psy an insult? Or a geisha, a man as a nun, a maori, an "east indian" or many other inumerable costumes? What about a jew dressed as Adolph Hitler (Mel Brooks movies). Somebody may take offense, but they need to look at what is behind it. Look at all the dusters that were filmed in the first half of the 20th century. Most of the native Americans were white folk in costume. But do we light our hair on fire when some kid dresses up in an "Indian" costume? Well we should if we think blackface is absolutely wrong with no reservations, but we don't as for the most part we see the fun in it. So while I would say that the gal in the picture a few back that dressed up like a gangsta sl^t is wrong for all the obvious reasons, I have no problems with what Bozak did as long as he is sincere in his respect for MJ.

every year another idiot goes blackface and gets raked over the coals (and rightfully so). when will people learn?

also, whiteface doesn't have the extremely racist history that blackface does. it's not the same thing, not even close.

I was a rastafarian last year, And had no problems with. I have a few black friends but they loved it. Its called a costume people. They are meant to be as real as possible. I understand the fact that blacks were a part of slavery and it was a very bad time for their people. But can we all please grow up?

Its a costume and its meant to be authentic. How can An 80's Micheal be authentic without the black skin? He did a good job of it and I give him props for how well it was done.

I wonder who, of all of us, labeled this as black face, anyways?

Nobody.

And its a poor choice in costume? No Thank You, Stalin.

Who decided to take on this boring, wannabe push-back?

And then... who decided to lump it in with the banana throwing incident?

Now, innocence is offensive. Great.

I wonder who, of all of us, labeled this as black face, anyways?

Nobody.

And its a poor choice in costume? No Thank You, Stalin.

Who decided to take on this boring, wannabe push-back?

And then... who decided to lump it in with the banana throwing incident?

Now, innocence is offensive. Great.

Halloween night I saw a white guy wearing an Obama mask on the skytrain. Is he a racist for going out as a black president? Or is a store bought mask ok, and it's just using makeup that makes it racist? I'm not sure I see the difference.

Archived