Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Leafs Bozak Takes Heat for "Blackface" Halloween Costume

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

Poll: Leafs Bozak Takes Heat for "Blackface" Halloween Costume (71 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you believe Bozaks costume is offensive?

1. Yes (3 votes [4.23%])

Percentage of vote: 4.23%

2. No (49 votes [69.01%])

Percentage of vote: 69.01%

3. No, but he should have known it would offend people (19 votes [26.76%])

Percentage of vote: 26.76%

Do you believe blackface is offensive?

1. Yes (15 votes [21.13%])

Percentage of vote: 21.13%

2. No (56 votes [78.87%])

Percentage of vote: 78.87%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,630 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

Seriously? People are lambasting him for darkening the colour of his skin for his Michael Jackson costume?!?

People have too much time on their hands and overreact at the most inane things.

#62 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,906 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 12:59 PM

It must have been one quiet crapstorm. I never heard a peep about it. The movie got poor reviews for the most part while Downey actually got good reviews. One critic even saying Downeys character was the only good thing about the movie. Needless to say, I didn't pay to see it.

I'd love to see a link to your claim. And were the Wayan brothers making fun of whiteface in White Chicks? Was Eddie Murphy making fun of Jewface in Coming To America? You see, I'm still wondering where this mystical racist line is.

it's been about 4 years since the news came out, so it's like sifting through a needle in a haystack, but here's a couple stories
http://mondoweiss.ne...ost-racial.html
http://www.esquire.c...ic-thunder-0808

the movie itself was ok, RDJ was good, but I agree, if people still think of blackface as racist then they should also consider people in whiteface as racist as well.

#63 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:08 PM

Twitter is the problem here. No tweet? No unwarranted backlash.

Exactly, people will start drama on Twitter for anything. Avelanch needs to stop getting his panties in a bunch, most of the people who think this is racist probably aren't even black...

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#64 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,881 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 02:44 PM

it's been about 4 years since the news came out, so it's like sifting through a needle in a haystack, but here's a couple stories
http://mondoweiss.ne...ost-racial.html
http://www.esquire.c...ic-thunder-0808

the movie itself was ok, RDJ was good, but I agree, if people still think of blackface as racist then they should also consider people in whiteface as racist as well.

Quoted from each article....

"It's interesting that Downey's blackface doesn't seem to be thought offensive."

"But once the lights dim, it’s hard to tell what’s more shocking: that Robert Downey Jr. is in blackface or that after about two minutes, you stop thinking about it.

Not exactly scathing. Seems it's ok when done for humor value and entertainment. But really isn't that a part of what Halloween is all about? Dressing up to be somebody or something else to have fun. I don't see anything racist about it.

I dressed up one Halloween as an East Indian RCMP officer complete with brown face and turban. Four of us went out as the RCMP musical ride (riding pink flamingos instead of horses). The place we rented the uniforms only had 3 of the RCMP hats. I immediately asked, "Do you have a turban?" Even the RCMP doing bar checks that night laughed their butts off when they saw me. We also won first prize for group costume ($500). But it turns out I'm just a racist. My ethnic friends will be shocked. Or maybe people are just overreacting to a Halloween costume. After all two of those ethic friends (of dark complexion) were killing themselves laughing when they saw me.
Posted Image

#65 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,906 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

Exactly, people will start drama on Twitter for anything. Avelanch needs to stop getting his panties in a bunch, most of the people who think this is racist probably aren't even black...

again, my underwear isn't bunched, I have no issue, i'm just explaining why others do (or why it's fathomable that they do).

#66 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,161 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

This is rediculous, its the Booth hunting thing all over again but even stupider, no reason for this even to be a story imo let alone people going overboard with it.

zackass.png

#67 nowhereman

nowhereman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

It must have been one quiet crapstorm. I never heard a peep about it. The movie got poor reviews for the most part while Downey actually got good reviews. One critic even saying Downeys character was the only good thing about the movie. Needless to say, I didn't pay to see it.

Tropic Thunder was absolutely hilarious (one of the funniest movies I've seen in years) and received a great response from critics (83% on Rotten Tomatoes and VERY positive reviews from Ebert, Travers, Berardinelli, etc.). I'm not sure if it's because I work in the film industry but I thought it was one of the better industry satires around. And if it weren't for the now-legendary performance from Heath Ledger, I honestly feel the academy should have given BSA to Downey.
Posted Image

#68 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

every year another idiot goes blackface and gets raked over the coals (and rightfully so). when will people learn?

also, whiteface doesn't have the extremely racist history that blackface does. it's not the same thing, not even close.

As I Scrolled down the thread I was thinking to myself wtf is wrong with CDC untill I saw ur mssg.

Ppl need to know the history behind blackface before making comments like there is nothing wrong with it.

Where has Bozo been, under a rock?

He should know better. Perhaps a Jack Ass costume would be more appropriate for Bozo err Bozak.

Edited by WHL rocks, 31 October 2012 - 04:21 PM.

#69 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,364 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

Everyone knows avelanch doesn't wear underwear.

Are you fine with the banana thrown on the ice at wayne simmonds too?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#70 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

As I Scrolled down the thread I was thinking to myself wtf is wrong with CDC untill I saw ur mssg.

Ppl need to know the history behind blackface before making comments like there is nothing wrong with it.

Where has Bozo been, under a rock?

He should know better. Perhaps a Jack Ass costume would be more appropriate for Bozo err Bozak.

Blackface may be offensive, but Bozak was not in blackface. He simply darkened his skin.
Blackface involves the over amplifiying of stereotypical facial structures such as the eyes and lips.
Historically it was done in order to portray negative stereotypes towards the black population in theatre and later on TV.
Bozak did neither of those things. He darkened his skin to look like one of his idols.

Edited by Jägermeister, 31 October 2012 - 04:59 PM.

Posted Image

#71 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

Everyone knows avelanch doesn't wear underwear.

Are you fine with the banana thrown on the ice at wayne simmonds too?

No I'm not fine with the banana, but It's halloween, he didn't make his nose and lips bigger or anything, he darkened his skin for his costume. If there was no twitter nobody would even be talking about this right now.

People dress up as terrorists and stuff all the time, with turbans and they paint their face brown, no one really says anything about that.

If it wasn't halloween then yeah it's offensive, but cmon...

Posted Image

#72 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,364 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:52 PM

No I'm not fine with the banana, but It's halloween, he didn't make his nose and lips bigger or anything, he darkened his skin for his costume. If there was no twitter nobody would even be talking about this right now.

People dress up as terrorists and stuff all the time, with turbans and they paint their face brown, no one really says anything about that.

If it wasn't halloween then yeah it's offensive, but cmon...

Yeah I know...Cmon... but essentially it's in bad taste no matter how you look at it. Is it the same as being a racist? Hell no...it's just poor taste.

Anyone who thinks this is nothing are just as bad as people who are pointing fingers and calling him a racist. Ignorance is ignorance no matter what side of the spectrum it's coming from.

Edited by EmployeeoftheMonth, 31 October 2012 - 05:53 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#73 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,225 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

^ Just don't go full retard

Actually I think dressing up and acting like a retard would be far more offensive than anything considered racist.

So where does this "racist" costume crap stop? What about a kid painting his face black to be Mr. T, is that racist?

How about men dressing as women, or vice - versa, will gay and lesbian groups get offended?

I am getting so sick and tired of this PC crap, it's is getting way too far out of hand!

racist parenting?
Posted Image

Edited by zero-ONE-three, 31 October 2012 - 05:59 PM.

wmmkuv.jpg

#74 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

Actually I think dressing up and acting like a retard would be far more offensive than anything considered racist.

So where does this "racist" costume crap stop? What about a kid painting his face black to be Mr. T, is that racist?

How about men dressing as women, or vice - versa, will gay and lesbian groups get offended?

I am getting so sick and tired of this PC crap, it's is getting way too far out of hand!

racist parenting?
Posted Image

Lol this, I'm surprised people aren't getting upset at people dressing as other genders.

Posted Image

#75 mbal23

mbal23

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

Just like in the booth thread people are being pissy about nothing. So what if it was on twitter you weren't forced to see it. If you had a problem unfollow him. It's not difficult. If people stopped seeing these things as racist, there wouldn't be racism. Rasism only works if people take offence to it.

#76 Salmonberries

Salmonberries

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,546 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:23 PM

If Fred Williamson was made sheriff for a day this mess would get cleaned up!

th_1435408476_c985b0ec75_zps489544ad.jpg

#77 ī мцšт вяздк чфµ

ī мцšт вяздк чфµ

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

POPULAR

Posted Image

Posted Image

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#78 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

^^^

Ohhhh snap

Posted Image

#79 ī мцšт вяздк чфµ

ī мцšт вяздк чфµ

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:24 PM

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#80 pibroch

pibroch

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:44 PM

So, I can't be a viking anymore cause I'm not Scandinavian? Those helmets with horns must be so offensive.

#81 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,881 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:10 PM

Tropic Thunder was absolutely hilarious (one of the funniest movies I've seen in years) and received a great response from critics (83% on Rotten Tomatoes and VERY positive reviews from Ebert, Travers, Berardinelli, etc.). I'm not sure if it's because I work in the film industry but I thought it was one of the better industry satires around. And if it weren't for the now-legendary performance from Heath Ledger, I honestly feel the academy should have given BSA to Downey.

I read a few reviews, mostly local, and the best was lukewarm. I've always found Striller movies to be hit and miss. I either really like them or don't care if I ever see them again. I fell in with the critic that didn't care for the movie but thought Downey was the funniest part of it. I found more of the movie fell into the stupid category instead of the stupid funny zone. I have several friends that loved Zoolander, while I couldn't even bother to finish watching it. We all have our own taste. I find Sandler to be the same way. Hit or miss with little in between.
Posted Image

#82 vancity787

vancity787

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:45 PM

I was a rastafarian last year, And had no problems with. I have a few black friends but they loved it. Its called a costume people. They are meant to be as real as possible. I understand the fact that blacks were a part of slavery and it was a very bad time for their people. But can we all please grow up?

Its a costume and its meant to be authentic. How can An 80's Micheal be authentic without the black skin? He did a good job of it and I give him props for how well it was done.
Posted Image Posted Image

Cred to 10TRAVIS_NUCK10 for the sick sig!

#83 Mollyworld

Mollyworld

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:33 PM

I think you need to know the history of black face before you start throwing stones. Black face began back in the 1800's simply because people of colour were not allowed on the stage. Simple, it was a racist policy and "blackface" done as that is wrong. And if it wasn't for Al Jolson in the Jazz Singer, it would have been swept under the carpet like so many of the American racial policies. Colouring your skin in a respectful way to represent another culture is not "blackface", or whiteface or yellowface or any other face. As someone else mentioned, is dressing up like Psy an insult? Or a geisha, a man as a nun, a maori, an "east indian" or many other inumerable costumes? What about a jew dressed as Adolph Hitler (Mel Brooks movies). Somebody may take offense, but they need to look at what is behind it. Look at all the dusters that were filmed in the first half of the 20th century. Most of the native Americans were white folk in costume. But do we light our hair on fire when some kid dresses up in an "Indian" costume? Well we should if we think blackface is absolutely wrong with no reservations, but we don't as for the most part we see the fun in it. So while I would say that the gal in the picture a few back that dressed up like a gangsta sl^t is wrong for all the obvious reasons, I have no problems with what Bozak did as long as he is sincere in his respect for MJ.

#84 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,881 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:39 AM

I think you need to know the history of black face before you start throwing stones. Black face began back in the 1800's simply because people of colour were not allowed on the stage. Simple, it was a racist policy and "blackface" done as that is wrong. And if it wasn't for Al Jolson in the Jazz Singer, it would have been swept under the carpet like so many of the American racial policies. Colouring your skin in a respectful way to represent another culture is not "blackface", or whiteface or yellowface or any other face. As someone else mentioned, is dressing up like Psy an insult? Or a geisha, a man as a nun, a maori, an "east indian" or many other inumerable costumes? What about a jew dressed as Adolph Hitler (Mel Brooks movies). Somebody may take offense, but they need to look at what is behind it. Look at all the dusters that were filmed in the first half of the 20th century. Most of the native Americans were white folk in costume. But do we light our hair on fire when some kid dresses up in an "Indian" costume? Well we should if we think blackface is absolutely wrong with no reservations, but we don't as for the most part we see the fun in it. So while I would say that the gal in the picture a few back that dressed up like a gangsta sl^t is wrong for all the obvious reasons, I have no problems with what Bozak did as long as he is sincere in his respect for MJ.

Nicely said.

I'll add a few...going back even further men played the role of women on stage as women weren't allowed to be actors. In the 40's Sidney Toler played Asian sleuth Charlie Chan. At the time white actors still played the majority of ethnic roles. Jump forward again and as recently as 1972 David Carradine was cast as Caine in the TV series Kung Fu over Bruce Lee. Carradine had no martial arts experience when cast for the role. The network simply didn't feel they could "sell" an Asian in a lead role. But hey, a white guy made to look Asian = success. I don't know how that makes any sense at all but who can say if it would have been as successful with Bruce Lee in the lead.

Another favorite of mine is Rodenberry originally wrote the Startrek series with a female captain. The network made him change the script because "nobody would buy a female in command". So the female character was shifted to the communications officer, the somewhat equivalent of a secretary.
Posted Image

#85 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,148 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

It's only racist if they're being portrayed in a derogatory way - that's the definition of "racist".

Dressing up as someone who is black because he is black is not racist, it's nothing. It's like comparing a rude or indecent cartoon of a black man to sketch of Michael Jackson.
Posted Image

#86 Caboose

Caboose

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,534 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

every year another idiot goes blackface and gets raked over the coals (and rightfully so). when will people learn?

also, whiteface doesn't have the extremely racist history that blackface does. it's not the same thing, not even close.

The blackface that was use was just that, black, to mock the skin of black people.

It was nowhere near their actual skin tone.

MessiSig.jpg

Credit to: MrNHLFanatic

#87 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,906 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

I was a rastafarian last year, And had no problems with. I have a few black friends but they loved it. Its called a costume people. They are meant to be as real as possible. I understand the fact that blacks were a part of slavery and it was a very bad time for their people. But can we all please grow up?

Its a costume and its meant to be authentic. How can An 80's Micheal be authentic without the black skin? He did a good job of it and I give him props for how well it was done.

he did a horrible job, the outfit wasn't even close to the thriller outfit. it's like he thought to himself "crap, i need a costume... well, i have this red windbreaker and pants, i'll just throw them on and put on some makeup, i'll say i'm michael jackson or something."

#88 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,753 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image 
Posted Image

#89 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,321 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

lol the "we're a culture, not a costume" ad doesn't apply at all if you're dressing up as someone specific.

#90 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,906 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

exactly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.