The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Ethics of Eating Non-Human Animals

Angry Goose

Guest Gumballthechewy

So by your logic, anything goes? Including the holocaust? That's absurd. There's no ifs ands or buts about it. The holocaust is clearly wrong even if there might be some apparent disagreement about it (those who disagree are irrational).

Perhaps you should think your statements through before firing back silly objections.

But do most people do this? No. Most people don't even recognize this as morally obligatory.

Further, I've mentioned that it is unclear whether painless killing makes slaughtering animals for morally permissable. If I painlessly killed my cat because I think a fur hat would looko good, would the painless killing be sufficient justification? The experiences an animal has seem important. Whether those experiences are important to the animal itself is another discussion.

By your logic, hockey, or for that matter any combative sport is not permissable.

That is absurd.

I shouldn't have to point out the obvious that as a society we consent to/agree to what's involved. And amateur boxing is actually quite safe. Probbaly alot safer than hockey.

Your also equivocating the harm involved in factory farming with harm involved in sports. The physical/emotional harm involved in factory farming is nothing like the former.

So by your logic, anything goes? Including the holocaust? That's absurd. There's no ifs ands or buts about it. The holocaust is clearly wrong even if there might be some apparent disagreement about it (those who disagree are irrational).

Perhaps you should think your statements through before firing back silly objections.

By your logic, hockey, or for that matter any combative sport is not permissable.

That is absurd.

I shouldn't have to point out the obvious that as a society we consent to/agree to what's involved. And amateur boxing is actually quite safe. Probbaly alot safer than hockey.

Your also equivocating the harm involved in factory farming with harm involved in sports. The physical/emotional harm involved in factory farming is nothing like the former.

Interesting read. Perhaps ethics isn't such a big issue after all; or maybe this just makes it worse. I admit trying to buy chicken while keeping in mind how it's treated is a pain in the arse. I have local sources but it can be hard to get enough from local small farms.

This exactly, If you live in society you also take blame for all things such as this. Only self righteous bigots see themselves in some holy light. If you really want to make an actual diffrence you must attack the root of the problem, which is big business.

Good Luck !!!

Lots of us actually do care but are not vain enough to think that just because we try hard and bother others that it in anyway accomplishes anything. Some things in life are tough and the answers are not obvious, this is one of them.

No it's you. If people don't buy things they stop selling it. Every person counts.

Ergo why I don't mind the vegan maniacs at all. They do their part for the environment by reducing demand. This in turn keeps costs for the rest of us lower. Everybody wins!

Yeah, but do you really think that if a select few out of the people stop buying that the whole industry will crumble? This is accomplishing nothing besides putting a small dent in the problem. Touching that some care enough to do it but it is not acheiving anything. I hate to be pessimistic but gathering the whole world for a cause seems pretty far fetched. We can't even stop killing each other, why would we start with animals?

I guess there are some that figure at least an effort is better than nothing and a life saved is a life saved. That's nice and all but we've proven as humans that life (other life) doesn't mean a heck of a lot to us.

I bet twenty years ago you wouldn't be able to convince anyone that if enough people stopped going to McDonald's unless they started serving salads you would be laughed off the stage. But lo and behold a portion of the population has taken health seriously enough that McDonald's did change. (Of course more than enough didn't and are still fat and happy as ever).

I think Silly Goose spends more time talking about stuff you learn in first year English (ad hominem, straw man, etc.) than he does actually debating.

Real debates don't work like they do in first year English. You don't wait for someone to give an argument, than write down what fallacies they used, and hand it into the professor.

perhaps the point is:

what about everyone decide by themselves what they should (or not) eat?

if you like meat good for you, if you don´t that´s fine. but this "war" to show your point of view with not argument or no logic does not go anywhere. is like a woman making a man angry without any logical reason...

if you eat meat you´re killing a life...

if you eat vegetables you are also killing a like, in fact you are killing a life and an unborn life...

perhaps the point is:

what about everyone decide by themselves what they should (or not) eat?

if you like meat good for you, if you don´t that´s fine. but this "war" to show your point of view with not argument or no logic does not go anywhere. is like a woman making a man angry without any logical reason...

Archived