The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jeremie Blain | D

canucklehead44

Jeremie Blain is a former 2010 4th round pick by the Edmonton Oilers. Despite being somewhat highly touted he was not resigned by the Oilers. Blain was invited to the Canucks development camp and was later signed by the Chicago Wolves and sent to the Idaho Steelheads.

Blain has good size at 6'2, 192 pounds and plays a physical game. What really stands out with Blain is his offensive game.

Blain scored 52 points in 62 games last year in the QMJHL. As an 18 year old Blain had 41 points in 44 games. This year with the Steelheads Blain has 9 points in 8 games, leading all ECHL defenseman in scoring.

Has anyone watched Blain play? His numbers shot up a lot after his draft year (.61 PPG -22 to .93 PPG +17) . He was also a +28 last season. Despite putting up great numbers he has been tossed aside by the Oilers and now the Wolves. Does anybody think he has NHL upside?

Scouting Report

May, 2012 - Jeremie Blain had a great season and put up 50 points, which was among the top ten for defenseman. He was traded from Acadie-Bathurst to Victoriaville and was hoping for a long playoff run, but was unfortunately upset in the first round. Blain is a big, physical defenseman who plays on the powerplay, penalty kill and against the other teams top players. He has high-end hockey sense and a great offensive skillset. His defensive game will be the only thing that holds him back at the next level.

Crazy numbers for a Dman. Even crazier that Oilers would let a recent draft pick walk for nothing. Even the Canucks give guys like Shirokov, Rahimi and Simek a look. Suddenly I'm not so ashamed of our development team.

Great size and skill, must be his defensive game that isn't giving him a real look.

Crazy numbers for a Dman. Even crazier that Oilers would let a recent draft pick walk for nothing. Even the Canucks give guys like Shirokov, Rahimi and Simek a look. Suddenly I'm not so ashamed of our development team.

Great size and skill, must be his defensive game that isn't giving him a real look.

Maybe this is precisely the reason why one would be ashamed of our development team - the fact that we gave a shot to these guys haha. Maybe Oilers cut loose someone who will never make the NHL - seeing as he's in the ECHL, I don't see him having a good chance. Tonnes of guys with great size don't make the NHL. If he fixes whatever's holding him up, I could see him make it.

Also, having just signed Justin Schultz probably makes at least one defensive prospect expendable...Damn I wish we got him.

From what I've heard, nothing he does stands out. Was out of place, invisible at Oiler's training camp. Add the fact that the Oilers had to get under 50 contract, he didn't impress enough to stay. Blain was injured in his draft year, and the coach gave him a tone a minute in the next year because of the lack of depth on that team. Injured again in his final year in the league. Contrary to scouting reports, he is not physical at all, doesn't display much edge. Offense is average, missing the net a whole lot. Long term project. If all goes well, could be a bottom pair defense man.

His numbers can be deceiving because of where he has played but if he keeps it up throughout the year, expect a call up to the A, and then we'll have more of understanding of this player.

• 2 weeks later...

where is he playing?

ECHL - Idaho Steelheads. He is obviously too good for that league, I want to see what he can do in the AHL. Edmonton fans thought he was an absolute steal in the fourth round.

Compared to John Negrin, our other intriguing camp invite, Blaine is doing extremely well. Negrin has played most of his pro career (three seasons) in the AHL and even earned a callup to the Flames. This season he has 2 points in 12 games and is a -5 for Kalamazoo. Polasek is also stinking it up in the ECHL. When Polasek and Negin got sent down I thought they would be the top pairing and put up solid numbers but they are both brutal. Polasek has 3 points and is -2 for the record.

• 2 weeks later...

he's only wolves property, but he's being brought in to QB the PP. if he performs well the nucks staff may take note, and he could possibly play his way into a contract with them.

Canucks brass will keep an eye on this guy, especially since he was invited to the Canucks camp initially.

This is how Alex Burrows, Rick Rypien, G. Desbiens and Jason Jaffray earned NHL two-way contracts.

• 8 months later...

ECHL - Idaho Steelheads. He is obviously too good for that league, I want to see what he can do in the AHL. Edmonton fans thought he was an absolute steal in the fourth round.

Compared to John Negrin, our other intriguing camp invite, Blaine is doing extremely well. Negrin has played most of his pro career (three seasons) in the AHL and even earned a callup to the Flames. This season he has 2 points in 12 games and is a -5 for Kalamazoo. Polasek is also stinking it up in the ECHL. When Polasek and Negin got sent down I thought they would be the top pairing and put up solid numbers but they are both brutal. Polasek has 3 points and is -2 for the record.

still a relevant post. blain outperformed several wolves D-men last year. Well, not in the AHL. but completely dominant in the ECHL. I wonder if in the comet's staff minds blain is already ahead of guys like negrin, polasek, sauve. Still behind the likes of corrado, tommernes, andersson, and probably guimond and biega. I'm predicting he makes the comets as a 5 or 6. possibly even a 4th if he's been having a good summer.

Did he sign with the Canucks?

I think Blain could take a huge leap in his development into the top 2 in the Wolves. He could be battling against Andersson for the spot.

yeah, he got an NHL contract this year. i'm interested to see if he can push onto the second pairing with andersson as the top pairing is looking like it will be tommernes-corrado.

• 6 months later...

Archived