The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 10 Most Dominant Players of All Time

nowhereman

Lindros for sure. People here remember Bert... Bert was a wimpy, unskilled version of Lindros who was nearly unstopable for a few awesome years. He racked up points while racking up the same PIM as a pure goon. TOI stats must be incredible.

Bure was dominant. Period.

Messier should get a mention as he was like Kesler with MORE desire, skill, toughness, leadership and finish. Kesler looks like a pile of crap next to Messier at the same age.

Forsberg and Jager were very similar in how they could keep the puck. I dont really remember seeing Forsberg ever dump the puck in and go for a change. Jager was so slick and heavy. He shot more than Forsberg.

didnt see Orr

Or the Rocket

Brett Hull and Bossy were similar and both dominant

Dionne was the man too.

Sakic was close to Stevie Y and both are my HMs.

Lindros, when he was healthy, was a 6ft 5" monster who could go through you or around you. I don't know that the league had ever seen a skillset quite like his. IMO, he's the definition of dominance.

I don't think the term "too soon" really applies to this thread. Personally, I feel that Crosby is better than Forsberg, so even though he's only 25, I think he deserves mention. If not for his injuries, he'd already have one of the most impressive trophy cases in the history of the league.

Lindros for sure. People here remember Bert... Bert was a wimpy, unskilled version of Lindros who was nearly unstopable for a few awesome years. He racked up points while racking up the same PIM as a pure goon. TOI stats must be incredible.

By comparison?

Oh, I sure think so.

Im not sure though, were you a big Flyers fan during the Lindros years because to compare the two you needed to see the two. There is really no comparison, IMO. Also, I never said Bert was unskilled, I said compared to Lindros, he was. And Bert wasnt tough. Nobody was ever scared of Bert on open ice.

Forsberg

Ninth all-time in career points-per-game

Fourth all-time in career assists-per-game

2 Stanley Cups

2 Olympic Golds

Member of the Triple Gold Club

Art Ross

Calder Trophy

In 2002 Led playoffs, 27 point in 20 game after missing the entire season due to injury

1993 World Junior Championships record 31 points in seven games

He'll be a first ballet HHOF

Colorado Retired his jersey

Nominate Howie Morenz. Greatest of first half of the 20th century. And he literally gave his life to hockey.

Current: Evgeni Malkin.

Gretzky is not regarded as only the most dominant player in the history of the NHL, but some would say that he's also the most dominant player in the history of sports. During his first few prime years, he was so far ahead of his peers, some 80pts ahead of the next-best player, it was ridiculous. This feat is likely unrepeatable, along with many of his other records, but it is what it is. He's simply the greatest, AND most dominant.

Homer pick: Hey, why not Bure? He was pretty freakin' unstoppable when he was 'on.'

It's either Gretzky or Orr so let's try it this way, if you somehow knew beforehand what each players average yearly stats for their NHL career would be which player would you choose 1st overall and build a team around?

Average yearly stats (based on 82 games)

Wayne Gretzky (forward) - 50 goals 109 assists - 159 points 32 PM + 29

Bobby Orr (defense) - 34 goals 81 assists - 125 points 119 PM + 82

Most of the players mentioned I've seen on a number of occasions, but none could dominate both ends of the ice like Bobby Orr and one other thing, man he was tough and boy did he fight.

I guess these are the kind of threads that pop up, when you're in the midst of a mind-numbing lockout but at least a little bit of hockey discussion can stokes the fires.

This thread is a bit different than the "Greatest Players of All Time" thread, in that I'd like to see who people think are the most dominant players of all time. For instance, Eric Lindros would make my top 10 list, even though fortune didn't exactly smile on his health and his legacy ended up a shadow of what it could be. As such, I consider him one of the most dominant players of all time but definitly not one of the "greatest". I also rank Lemieux ahead of Gretzky, even though Gretzky's career accomplishments are more impressive than Mario's. And Hasek, I think, is ahead of Roy, Sawchuk, and Plante, based purely on how he controlled a game and not how many cups he's won or records he's set.

I guess you could say this less about stats but more about performance.

My top 10:

1. Mario Lemieux

2. Bobby Orr

3. Wayne Gretzky

4. Jaromir Jagr

5. Dominik Hasek

6. Gordie Howe

7. Guy Lafleur

8. Sidney Crosby

9. Eric Lindros

10. Raymond Bourque

HM: Doug Harvey, Peter Forsberg, Valeri Kharlamov

why are people saying 'Ovechkin in his prime'... The guy is 27, he isn't 40 and won't retire for some time. I think he is yet to hit his prime. The Sedins started their prime in their late 20's/early 30's like a lot of other NHLers. He has had 65 and 85 point seasons the past 2 years which have been considered bad. If those stats are bad then what do you consider good or amazing. This year our top players (stats-wise) were the Sedins with 81 and 67.

Archived