85 replies to this topic

#61 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

Lindros for sure. People here remember Bert... Bert was a wimpy, unskilled version of Lindros who was nearly unstopable for a few awesome years. He racked up points while racking up the same PIM as a pure goon. TOI stats must be incredible.

Bure was dominant. Period.

Messier should get a mention as he was like Kesler with MORE desire, skill, toughness, leadership and finish. Kesler looks like a pile of crap next to Messier at the same age.

Forsberg and Jager were very similar in how they could keep the puck. I dont really remember seeing Forsberg ever dump the puck in and go for a change. Jager was so slick and heavy. He shot more than Forsberg.

didnt see Orr
Or the Rocket

Brett Hull and Bossy were similar and both dominant

Dionne was the man too.

Sakic was close to Stevie Y and both are my HMs.
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#62 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,668 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

Lindros, when he was healthy, was a 6ft 5" monster who could go through you or around you. I don't know that the league had ever seen a skillset quite like his. IMO, he's the definition of dominance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWqyNCs8i3g

If Lindros was dominant, what was he?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#63 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

If Lindros was dominant, what was he?
Posted Image

Assassin

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#64 canuckelhead70

canuckelhead70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

Lindros, when he was healthy, was a 6ft 5" monster who could go through you or around you. I don't know that the league had ever seen a skillset quite like his. IMO, he's the definition of dominance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWqyNCs8i3g

I don't think the term "too soon" really applies to this thread. Personally, I feel that Crosby is better than Forsberg, so even though he's only 25, I think he deserves mention. If not for his injuries, he'd already have one of the most impressive trophy cases in the history of the league.

I thought that player was called Cam Neely.

Bobby Orr hands down for me

#65 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

Lindros for sure. People here remember Bert... Bert was a wimpy, unskilled version of Lindros who was nearly unstopable for a few awesome years. He racked up points while racking up the same PIM as a pure goon. TOI stats must be incredible.

Might wanna refresh on the 'ol dictionary again. Big Bert was anything but wimpy. While we're at it, he wasn't unskilled either. You don't score 46 goals by being "unskilled".

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#66 Bite me Burr

Bite me Burr

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

Might wanna refresh on the 'ol dictionary again. Big Bert was anything but wimpy. While we're at it, he wasn't unskilled either. You don't score 46 goals by being "unskilled".

By comparison?
Oh, I sure think so.
Im not sure though, were you a big Flyers fan during the Lindros years because to compare the two you needed to see the two. There is really no comparison, IMO. Also, I never said Bert was unskilled, I said compared to Lindros, he was. And Bert wasnt tough. Nobody was ever scared of Bert on open ice.
CHARACTER AND TOUGHNESS

#67 nowhereman

nowhereman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

I thought that player was called Cam Neely.

Lindros is Neely, only four inches taller, twenty-five pounds heavier, tougher, and more-skilled.
Posted Image

#68 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

By comparison?
Oh, I sure think so.
Im not sure though, were you a big Flyers fan during the Lindros years because to compare the two you needed to see the two. There is really no comparison, IMO. Also, I never said Bert was unskilled, I said compared to Lindros, he was. And Bert wasnt tough. Nobody was ever scared of Bert on open ice.

I misunderstood. I didn't realize you meant those things compared to Lindros. I'd agree that Lindros was more intimidating and skilled than Bert.

14ndb35.jpg

#69 ForsbergTheGreat

ForsbergTheGreat

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

Forsberg

Ninth all-time in career points-per-game
Fourth all-time in career assists-per-game
2 Stanley Cups
2 Olympic Golds
Member of the Triple Gold Club
Art Ross
Calder Trophy
In 2002 Led playoffs, 27 point in 20 game after missing the entire season due to injury
1993 World Junior Championships record 31 points in seven games
He'll be a first ballet HHOF
Colorado Retired his jersey

#70 ForsbergTheGreat

ForsbergTheGreat

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

EDIT: I don't remember Forsberg ever dominating the league like this:

Go back and look at the 2002 playoffs, 27 points in 20 games after missing the entire season due to injury

#71 Venom52

Venom52

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

1. Orr
2. M. Richard
3. Lemieux
4. Gretzky
5. Bossy
6. Lindros
7. Bure
8. Lidstrom
9. Jagr
10. Sakic

Posted Image

#72 Nas19

Nas19

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:57 AM

Go back and look at the 2002 playoffs, 27 points in 20 games after missing the entire season due to injury

Very impressive no doubt. Especially since he was injured all season. But I still think Crosby's 50 points in 25 games was more dominate. Crosby also put up 31 points in 24 games on his run to the Cup. The points per game might not be as high as Forsberg's but Forsberg was playing with better players on his line. But you could also say that he had been hurt all season while Crosby wasn't.

I dunno. I think Forsberg and Crosby are very similar players. Forsberg was just more physical.

#73 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,942 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

Nominate Howie Morenz. Greatest of first half of the 20th century. And he literally gave his life to hockey.

Current: Evgeni Malkin.

Gretzky is not regarded as only the most dominant player in the history of the NHL, but some would say that he's also the most dominant player in the history of sports. During his first few prime years, he was so far ahead of his peers, some 80pts ahead of the next-best player, it was ridiculous. This feat is likely unrepeatable, along with many of his other records, but it is what it is. He's simply the greatest, AND most dominant.

Homer pick: Hey, why not Bure? He was pretty freakin' unstoppable when he was 'on.'
Posted Image

#74 Peter Gunn

Peter Gunn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

It's either Gretzky or Orr so let's try it this way, if you somehow knew beforehand what each players average yearly stats for their NHL career would be which player would you choose 1st overall and build a team around?

Average yearly stats (based on 82 games)

Wayne Gretzky (forward) - 50 goals 109 assists - 159 points 32 PM + 29

Bobby Orr (defense) - 34 goals 81 assists - 125 points 119 PM + 82

Most of the players mentioned I've seen on a number of occasions, but none could dominate both ends of the ice like Bobby Orr and one other thing, man he was tough and boy did he fight.

#75 Donky

Donky

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,680 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:04 AM

1.Orr
2.Gretzky
3.Lemieux
4.Howe
5.Roy
6Lidstrom
7.Lafleur
8.Richard
9.Forsberg
10.Jagr
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”-Sinclair Lewis

A human being is a part of a whole, called by us _universe_, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."-Albert Einstein

#76 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,895 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

I guess these are the kind of threads that pop up, when you're in the midst of a mind-numbing lockout but at least a little bit of hockey discussion can stokes the fires.

This thread is a bit different than the "Greatest Players of All Time" thread, in that I'd like to see who people think are the most dominant players of all time. For instance, Eric Lindros would make my top 10 list, even though fortune didn't exactly smile on his health and his legacy ended up a shadow of what it could be. As such, I consider him one of the most dominant players of all time but definitly not one of the "greatest". I also rank Lemieux ahead of Gretzky, even though Gretzky's career accomplishments are more impressive than Mario's. And Hasek, I think, is ahead of Roy, Sawchuk, and Plante, based purely on how he controlled a game and not how many cups he's won or records he's set.

I guess you could say this less about stats but more about performance.

My top 10:

1. Mario Lemieux
2. Bobby Orr
3. Wayne Gretzky
4. Jaromir Jagr
5. Dominik Hasek
6. Gordie Howe
7. Guy Lafleur
8. Sidney Crosby
9. Eric Lindros
10. Raymond Bourque

HM: Doug Harvey, Peter Forsberg, Valeri Kharlamov

I'm sorry, I don't care what it was based on, nobody was more dominant than Gretzky, and if anyone was even close, it was Orr, not Lemieux (not that I don't love Mario). WG is the highest scoring, best and most dominant hockey player of all time, maybe even athlete.

http://bleacherrepor...ll-time/page/31

Edited by stawns, 14 November 2012 - 01:44 PM.

#77 stawns

stawns

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,895 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

1. Orr
2. M. Richard
3. Lemieux
4. Gretzky
5. Bossy
6. Lindros
7. Bure
8. Lidstrom
9. Jagr
10. Sakic

:picard:

#78 Mike Versace ESQ

Mike Versace ESQ

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

why are people saying 'Ovechkin in his prime'... The guy is 27, he isn't 40 and won't retire for some time. I think he is yet to hit his prime. The Sedins started their prime in their late 20's/early 30's like a lot of other NHLers. He has had 65 and 85 point seasons the past 2 years which have been considered bad. If those stats are bad then what do you consider good or amazing. This year our top players (stats-wise) were the Sedins with 81 and 67.

This.
He's just entering the prime years of his career now and that's what you want. Why do you think Mike Gillis tries to acquire guys aged 27-32?

Posted ImagePosted Image

FOLLOW @MikeVersace1

#shapcrew #membersonly

credit to CanucksHD for the avatar

#79 Mike Versace ESQ

Mike Versace ESQ

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

double post

Edited by Mr Soprano, 14 November 2012 - 01:51 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

FOLLOW @MikeVersace1

#shapcrew #membersonly

credit to CanucksHD for the avatar

#80 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

I'm sorry, I don't care what it was based on, nobody was more dominant than Gretzky, and if anyone was even close, it was Orr, not Lemieux (not that I don't love Mario). WG is the highest scoring, best and most dominant hockey player of all time, maybe even athlete.

Good post, but don't count on Bleacher Reports to give you credibility.

14ndb35.jpg

#81 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

1.Orr
2.Gretzky
3.Lemieux
4.Howe
5.Roy
6Lidstrom
7.Lafleur
8.Richard
9.Forsberg
10.Jagr

That's a pretty good list, I would be tempted to add Hasek and maybe Pronger in there (even though I can't stand the guy)

Always hated Pronger when the Canucks played against him but it would've been so sweet to have him on the team.

Guys like Sakic and Yzerman didn't so much dominate as they did their jobs quietly and flew under the radar for alot of years.

#82 nowhereman

nowhereman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

Sorry, but that's completely debatable. Again, this is not based solely off of career accomplishments. Mario had a nearly identical PPG average to Wayne but boasted a better GPG average. He was far more physically dominant and had more raw skill than Gretzky. When he came to play, in my opinion, he was the best. It's unfortunate that, for most of his early career, he played with horrible players on horrible teams i.e. not exactly the Messiers, Coffeys, Kurris, and Anderson's of the world. During the 90s, he was better, with a bad back and radiation side effects, than any other player in the game.

And Orr is definitly on Gretzky's tier. He could do EVERYTHING. He controlled the play like no other player I've ever seen and could hit, fight, and check with the best of them. He was a monster.

Edited by nowhereman, 17 November 2012 - 02:52 AM.

Posted Image

#83 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,008 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:07 AM

He's talking about players that have proven they are dominant on the ice, not players that have had teh greatest overall carrers. Therefore how can it be too soon for Crosby? He's already proven he's dominant by having the 4th highest PPG for any player with over 500pts, won a Cup and Olympic Gold and multiple inividual players awards. Lindros as much as I hate to admit it was also dominate in his prime when he was healthy and is deserving of this list too as much as it pains me to admit it.

Crosby is only 25. Will his ppg be 4th highest if he retires at 37 or 38? You're comparing a young guy to those that played beyond their prime.
Posted Image

#84 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

Crosby is only 25. Will his ppg be 4th highest if he retires at 37 or 38? You're comparing a young guy to those that played beyond their prime.

He also plays during a different era...

In three of the seasons where he was injured he was on pace for a scoring tittle (2007/08, 10/11, 11/12).

This doesn't mean that he would have been able to keep that up for the entire season, but still. Four Art Ross Trophys, x amount of Harts, and two Richars Trophys, would be pretty sick...

#85 Hugemanskost

Hugemanskost

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,380 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

This is a difficult task.

I would include Howie Morenz, Cyclone Taylor, Maurice Richard, Eddie Shore and Joe Malone somewhere in the discussion.

My second fave player of all-time, Bobby Clarke, could be a game-changer, as well. Ken Dryden thought so.

webkit-fake-url://D8829558-F65F-49B9-9829-A7DFC7F2E6E4/application.pdf

:towel: :canucks:

#86 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,725 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

This.
He's just entering the prime years of his career now and that's what you want. Why do you think Mike Gillis tries to acquire guys aged 27-32?

True for some players but most pure goal scorers hit their prime at a younger age. Which is why when Stamkos is 29 years old you likely won't be seeing him put up 60+ goal seasons, he'll still be elite but not in his prime. Which is right now.

eg. Ovechkin,Gaborik, Heatley, Bure, Hull etc

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.