The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which job to take?

jatylo

Hey guys thanks for reading.

I am hoping to go to university fall 2013. I was unemployed for 3 months and jobs are scarce where I live. I have 2 job offers that i'm 95% getting (5% i might act like a complete goof ball in training.)

I have 2 job offers

1 New to the area fast food job: I like the managers and I know i would be able to keep the job until next fall (min wage)

2 Lumber mill: They are looking for a labourer, but I am scared I won't be able to keep up. You need to carry 50 pounds non-stop for 8 hours a day. Don't get me wrong I have a strong core for a 19 year old (can wrestle down my 22 year old brother who is a cop). But i am scared i wont be able to keep up to 250 pound men who have been doing this since they were 25 and would have to give up the job a month from now because i cant keep up.

The lumber mill is ideal because it is a 5 minute bike ride from my house and the pay is $2 higher than min wage.

the fast food is good because i know confidently i can do the job consistently for the year, which will get me through 2 years of university and i can do coop with my degree(business).

Again thanks for reading and any suggestions you give me. (I am leaning towards the fast food job)

You're young enough that the lumber mill should build up your strength quickly enough to not be a problem. It's closer/higher pay so I think that would be the better option...don't be scared of hard work.

If either hold the promise of future benefits, that would be a consideration too.

Obviously, the choice is yours but if you don't end up going back to school, picking the better option with a long term forecast in mind should be considered.

Thanks for the suggestions. I am use to hard work (did a camp restoration project 2 years ago) and i have been doing odd jobs that help with endurance (raking leafs,mowing lawns and painting all that i have been doing continuously for 4 hours a day for temporary employment until these opportunities came up) but i don't have experience continuously carrying heavy/medium items for 8 hours a day even though i work out every 2nd day.

They want somebody who is ready for that right away (lumbermill is hiring tomorrow and fast food starts on the 8th)

If i knew i had a job to fall back on i would take the lumber mill by giving it a go for a week and see if i can keep up, but since the training for the fast food starts on Saturday i really have to choose quickly and which one i think i will enjoy for this year. Again jobs are scarce maybe 5 min wage postings a day on job sites (which gets 100 views a day Job bank, Kijiji etc...)

Definitely would go with the Lumber Mill. Sounds like your probably in good enough shape and should be able to keep up. Just don't expect to do what other seasoned workers are doing right away.

Maybe it's just me, but after working in the food service industry through high school, I wouldn't touch a job there, unless it was the only offer.

know what you mean sweatt, worked at mcdonalds a year ago I didn't mind the work because i love fast pased jobs because the day goes by faster, but i hated my manager she never gave me a schedule, only called me each morning i had to work so i couldn't make any plans and lets just say i might of had a patrick roy departure (well no swear words but i gave my 2 weeks pretty quick). But i like the manager at the new store seems like a cool lady and they are giving me a 2 week schedule so I have no concerns about working with them.

Thanks guys, will definatly show interest in both jobs but i will now lean towards the lumbermill. You guys built a lot of confidence in me. Was worried that i would loose the job in a month from now and go through the job searching mess, but now i believe i can compete with the full experienced men and show that with a little time i would be just like the regulars.

Sorry i came across that way J.R. I said i don't mind working hard, I am concerned about the my job security. I don't want to work for a month only to find out they are better off hiring somebody else and leaving me scrambling for jobs for 3 months which is brutal (applied for almost every job post) like i just have because if i don't have a secure job for this year i might as well kiss enrolment Fall 2013 goodbye . I guess i should of asked is adapting to a woodmill setting fast, because it seems to me they want somebody who knows they are doing on day 1.

Take the mill job.

No one ever says, "Sorry, we're looking for someone who has minimum wage, burger-flipping experience". You mention wanting to go to school for business, and neither will work your foundations but working the mill might convince you to move into Trades (a good idea).

Archived