Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Most Beautiful Countries

• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

Poll: Most Beautiful Countries (80 member(s) have cast votes)

What is/are the most beautiful country/countries?

1. United States of America (10 votes [5.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.62%

2. Canada (55 votes [30.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 30.90%

3. United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland) (7 votes [3.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.93%

4. Australia (10 votes [5.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.62%

5. New Zealand (14 votes [7.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.87%

6. France (7 votes [3.93%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.93%

7. Japan (6 votes [3.37%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.37%

8. China (5 votes [2.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.81%

9. Switzerland (15 votes [8.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.43%

10. Greece (8 votes [4.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.49%

11. Romania (2 votes [1.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.12%

12. Russia (3 votes [1.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.69%

13. Sweden (6 votes [3.37%] - View)

14. Argentina (2 votes [1.12%] - View)

15. Egypt (2 votes [1.12%] - View)

16. Other(s) (Please specify in your post) (14 votes [7.87%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.87%

17. Germany (4 votes [2.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.25%

18. Italy (6 votes [3.37%] - View)

19. Turkey (1 votes [0.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.56%

20. Fiji (1 votes [0.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

I've been lucky to have traveled to a few places while saddled with a mortgage, a job I can't leave for more than a couple weeks and now a wife and soon to be family but my point is it certainly doesn't make it easy. Especially during tough economic times.

Backpacking Europe for two months is for the young and responsibility free. It's near impossible to do with the above without that other thing...money. You need one or the other IMO to do any regular, longer and variety of traveling.

What people mean when they say you need money is in fact that you need a "lot of money".

This is incorrect.

I do 90% of my travel in "craphole" countries.

I have met many older people travelling. I have met families travelling i have met pregnant women travelling.

All about choices.
Sent from my iPhone Canucks App

It is not my intent to get in circular arguments with anybody. The reason i have avoided saying anything specific is because i know you or someone else will attempt to find an alternate explanation to my points which i intern will have to defend. I see no point in getting involved with the circular argument that is already well under way in this thread. I simply intended to voice my opinion on the subject. In the end either you accept the possibility of corruption and conspiracy or you don't.

Also i find your comments to be very childish. Does taking what i say out of context, paraphrasing and misquoting it make you feel good about yourself? Grow up.

Logic at its finest.

#122 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,954 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

the airfare is the biggest concern... that and not staying ins a .... If I'm going on vacation, I'm going to enjoy myself, not just suffer through just for the sake of saying I travelled. But to each their own.

Edited by hockeyville88, 05 November 2012 - 10:41 PM.
Swear filter bypass

#123 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:36 PM

the airfare is the biggest concern... that and not staying ins a .... If I'm going on vacation, I'm going to enjoy myself, not just suffer through just for the sake of saying I travelled. But to each their own.

Suffering is a matter of perspective.

My point was not that people need to travel to crapholes but that its not uncommon to find "responsible" people finding a way to not let their "responsibilities" from holding them back from what they WANT out of life.

The argument is akin to people saying "i want to be a millionaire" but then not taking the steps to get there.

Airfare can be had cheap if you are savvy and care to do the work.

It is not my intent to get in circular arguments with anybody. The reason i have avoided saying anything specific is because i know you or someone else will attempt to find an alternate explanation to my points which i intern will have to defend. I see no point in getting involved with the circular argument that is already well under way in this thread. I simply intended to voice my opinion on the subject. In the end either you accept the possibility of corruption and conspiracy or you don't.

Also i find your comments to be very childish. Does taking what i say out of context, paraphrasing and misquoting it make you feel good about yourself? Grow up.

Logic at its finest.

#124 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

Airfare is the cheapest part of travelling.

You can get a return ticket to Asia (China or India) and back for about $1400. That's not much considering you can stop off in Europe and stay there for as long as you like. While in the country of destination you need hotels, food, entertainment and travel via train or taxi, that's what costs money. Not airfare.

#125 Hume

Hume

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

Airfare is the cheapest part of travelling.

You can get a return ticket to Asia (China or India) and back for about $1400. That's not much considering you can stop off in Europe and stay there for as long as you like. While in the country of destination you need hotels, food, entertainment and travel via train or taxi, that's what costs money. Not airfare.

no frugal traveller would stay in a hotel or use taxis any considerable amount.
i've no idea what i am talking about! you'll go to hell for what your dirty mind is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiinkin'.
(i'm trapped in this body and can't get out.) how come i end up where i started?.
REASONABLE AND SENSIBLE.

#126 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,954 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:59 PM

lol @ 1400 per person (2800 for a couple) being cheap...

#127 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

Depends on your situation. If you have little financial wiggle room then it might be.

YVR to Mexico city is $600-700.

If travelling is what you really want then you will make the wiggle room to achieve what you want.

Its super duper easy to understand.

Define wants.
Set goals based on your wants.
Plan actions to achieve goals.
Execute plan.
Enjoy success of achieving goals.

Edited by لني, 05 November 2012 - 11:08 PM.

Logic at its finest.

#128 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,954 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:19 PM

i know how to travel, and how to achieve goals just fine thanks. but theres so much more you can do with 2800 than just flying to asia.

#129 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

i know how to travel, and how to achieve goals just fine thanks. but theres so much more you can do with 2800 than just flying to asia.

Of course depending on a persons wants.

Obviously someone wanting to spend $2800 on a TV, retirement investments, mortgage etc wants those as opposed to wanting to spend it on travelling to asia.

Thats the whole point of what started this discussion. People saying they "want" to travel but coming up with excuses why they "cant".

Logic at its finest.

#130 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:45 PM

Really? Is $1400 just too much for you period or is $1400 too much for what you get in return?

It costs me $145 just to fill up my vehicle with gas so I think $1400 is pretty cheap to fly to the other side of the planet.

You are going to need a lot more than $1400 in spending money on a trip to Asia.

You can travel to India via Europe, stay as long as you want in Amsterdam or Germany or London etc. travel on to India and come back for $1400 (depending on time of year) Or you can go via Japan, Korea, Taiwan or Beijing and carry on to India and come back. I think $1400 for all that is cheap.

I've travelled quite a bit in my life. I can tell you for sure you will need more than $1400 spending money in any of the countries I've mentioned.

#131 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

Really? Is $1400 just too much for you period or is $1400 too much for what you get in return?

It costs me $145 just to fill up my vehicle with gas so I think $1400 is pretty cheap to fly to the other side of the planet.

You are going to need a lot more than $1400 in spending money on a trip to Asia.

You can travel to India via Europe, stay as long as you want in Amsterdam or Germany or London etc. travel on to India and come back for $1400 (depending on time of year) Or you can go via Japan, Korea, Taiwan or Beijing and carry on to India and come back. I think $1400 for all that is cheap.

I've travelled quite a bit in my life. I can tell you for sure you will need more than $1400 spending money in any of the countries I've mentioned.

Depends.

Costs can be significantly mitigated if youre resourceful.

Stay at peoples houses using couchsurfing.com or globalfreeloaders.com. Use homestays. Camp.

Buy groceries. Eat a cheap local eateries.

Logic at its finest.

#132 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:57 PM

Depends.

Costs can be significantly mitigated if youre resourceful.

Stay at peoples houses using couchsurfing.com or globalfreeloaders.com. Use homestays. Camp.

Buy groceries. Eat a cheap local eateries.

Sure, depends on what one's standards are.

Airfare to Europe = 500+
EuroRail pass = 600 for a month.
food, entertainment, someone's couch all on top of that.

Edited by WHL rocks, 06 November 2012 - 12:03 AM.

#133 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:01 AM

Sure, depends on what one's standards are. But I don't see it for less than the cost of airfare and still get around the country and travel.

Ive done Europe for less than $1400/month.

Ive done India easily for $1400/month pro rata.

Japan i could probably have found a way to do it for $1400/month.

Is it standards? Or ingenuity? :P

Logic at its finest.

#134 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:05 AM

Ive done Europe for less than $1400/month.

Ive done India easily for $1400/month pro rata.

Japan i could probably have found a way to do it for $1400/month.

Is it standards? Or ingenuity? :P

Have you done Europe for 500? You can get a return ticket to London for around 5 or 6 hundred.

My original point was that airfare is not the cheapest part of travelling.

India you pbbly could but it would be very low standard of stay. I couldn't do it.

Japan, me personally never.

Edited by WHL rocks, 06 November 2012 - 12:09 AM.

#135 لني

لني

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:08 AM

Have you done Europe for 500? You can get a return ticket to London for around 5 or 6 hundred.

My original point was that airfare is not the cheapest part of travelling.

Depends on the time frame. Also where in europe.

Logic at its finest.

#136 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:14 AM

Depends on the time frame. Also where in europe.

Yeah, really it depends on one's standards or "enginuity".

It's possible to live in Vancouver on 500 or so per month. Thats approx what welfare is but I don't know how those ppl do it.

But here's a little something to ponder. This is pbbly the cheapest way to do it and I couldn't travel this way. Still need at least $100 per day, so around $3000 per month

And this $3000 is just to survive. For travel, Eurorail costs 600 to 1000 per month

http://www.lonelypla...hreadID=2153476
How much money do I need? A few words about budgets.
Please discuss budgets in Euro as that is the currency in use in most of Western Europe.

The consensus on this board is that you need about €50 a day as a minimum to survive. This covers:
€ 20 for a dorm bed or cheap shared double room
€15 for 3 self-catering meals (supermarkets and street/fast food)
€3-5 for local transport within a city
€8-10 for one activity per day. This could be laundry, or a museum, or a few beers…

Not included are: getting to Europe, inter-city travel, full-on sit down meals, and alcohol.
Given that this doesn’t leave much room for fun activities, a budget of €70/day is more realistic. Of course, as you spend more on accommodation or meals, the sky is the limit.

Keep in mind that these are averages for Europe. Individual countries may be more or less expensive. Switzerland and Norway are significantly more expensive than Bulgaria or Portugal.

Edited by WHL rocks, 06 November 2012 - 01:19 AM.

#137 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,522 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

Suffering is a matter of perspective.

My point was not that people need to travel to crapholes but that its not uncommon to find "responsible" people finding a way to not let their "responsibilities" from holding them back from what they WANT out of life.

The argument is akin to people saying "i want to be a millionaire" but then not taking the steps to get there.

Airfare can be had cheap if you are savvy and care to do the work.

Well my wife's pregnant with twins, so yes I've "chosen" to start a family over traveling for the immediate future.

I tell you one thing I didn't choose however... having my roof decide to start leaking a couple years before I was planning on replacing it. That at the same time as paying for all the stuff required for twin babies is hurting the old travel budget BIG TIME.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#138 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,044 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

Airfare can or can not be relatively expensive. Depends how lavishly you travel.

And keep in mind if you're spending $100/day, you have to subtract out what you would be spending at home anyway.

#139 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,391 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

I wish I had that kind of money to just burn away.

$1400 for JUST flight is excessive but is an unfortunate reality.
Posted Image

#140 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,522 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

Yeah it costs me $45 to fill up my tank :lol: Stop driving a freaking gas guzzler and you can afford to travel even more!
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#141 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

Travelled boat loads throughout my life. Subjective obviously, but I have never felt so alive as I did in Switzerland, followed very closely by New Zealand.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#142 Hunter56

Hunter56

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:30 PM

Well my wife's pregnant with twins, so yes I've "chosen" to start a family over traveling for the immediate future.

I tell you one thing I didn't choose however... having my roof decide to start leaking a couple years before I was planning on replacing it. That at the same time as paying for all the stuff required for twin babies is hurting the old travel budget BIG TIME.

Yeah I can see how that's holding you up lol.

I'm hoping to relocate while I'm still relatively young before traveling (still want to see more of my own country before exploring others) still haven't really decided but the one I'm leaning towards the most right now is Colorado Springs, Colorado.
Posted Image

Amazing scenery, decent sized city (don't mind quiet areas but I don't want to be in the middle of nowhere and have to drive for hours to get anywhere) and only about an hour from Denver (could go see the Canucks whenever they play the Avalanche at home... as well as all the other sports teams) and the Garden of the Gods look amazing!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#143 Bodee

Bodee

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,257 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:37 AM

As someone born and brought up in Scotland it would be easy for me to put forward the undoubted beauty of my homeland.........However, as demonstrated so well here I don't think any Country could or should claim exclusive title to "the most beautiful"

Diversity and scale are also a key to appreciating the beauty of a country as are how it changes with the seasons.

Another thing that often seems ignored is how much your impression of a country can be influenced by who you see it with and who you meet along the way.

[url=

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Bodee, 13 November 2012 - 05:09 AM.

Kevin.jpg

#144 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:13 AM

Posted Image

Catalina Island, California

I went there after going on a Mexican cruise in January, the place is unreal. It's hard to describe.

/=S=/

#145 Wolfman Jack

Wolfman Jack

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,546 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:42 AM

To me the most beautiful countries are the ones with the sparsest human population, fewer people to screw things up

Canada (away from southern Ontario & the main population belt along the US border), Iceland, Scotland (highlands), New Zealand
Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.
Blaise Pascal

#146 Mainly Mattias

Mainly Mattias

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:15 AM

Yeah, really it depends on one's standards or "enginuity".

It's possible to live in Vancouver on 500 or so per month. Thats approx what welfare is but I don't know how those ppl do it.

But here's a little something to ponder. This is pbbly the cheapest way to do it and I couldn't travel this way. Still need at least $100 per day, so around $3000 per month

And this $3000 is just to survive. For travel, Eurorail costs 600 to 1000 per month

http://www.lonelypla...hreadID=2153476
How much money do I need? A few words about budgets.
Please discuss budgets in Euro as that is the currency in use in most of Western Europe.

The consensus on this board is that you need about ¤50 a day as a minimum to survive. This covers:
¤ 20 for a dorm bed or cheap shared double room
¤15 for 3 self-catering meals (supermarkets and street/fast food)
¤3-5 for local transport within a city
¤8-10 for one activity per day. This could be laundry, or a museum, or a few beers…

Not included are: getting to Europe, inter-city travel, full-on sit down meals, and alcohol.
Given that this doesn’t leave much room for fun activities, a budget of ¤70/day is more realistic. Of course, as you spend more on accommodation or meals, the sky is the limit.

Keep in mind that these are averages for Europe. Individual countries may be more or less expensive. Switzerland and Norway are significantly more expensive than Bulgaria or Portugal.

I'd agree with that blurb. However, I spent a whole lot less.. but I wasn't traveling around and I lived pretty much like a welfare recipient. 2500 cad including airfare for two months in london. Since I was living in zone one, I didn't have to spend money on the tube. I either walked or bussed everywhere.

Re topic, canada, the states, italy, france and turkey.

Are people thinking of the alps when they vote switzerland?
“Your journey has molded you for your greater good, and it was exactly what it needed to be. Don't think you've lost time. There is no short-cutting to life. It took each and every situation you have encountered to bring you to the now. And now is right on time.” ― Asha Tyson

#147 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sorry, couldn't help myself!

:bigblush:

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 13 November 2012 - 10:09 AM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#148 Monty

Monty

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

Yeah I can see how that's holding you up lol.

I'm hoping to relocate while I'm still relatively young before traveling (still want to see more of my own country before exploring others) still haven't really decided but the one I'm leaning towards the most right now is Colorado Springs, Colorado.

Growing up, our family travelled a lot to various ski resorts around the world. Colorado Springs was one of the best we ever went to. We ended up going there twice over a period of a 3 years. Just terrific.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#149 *vInTaGe*

*vInTaGe*

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,408 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

Russia and Canada. Although each country has it's own undeniable beauty.

Posted Image

#150 Hunter56

Hunter56

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:58 PM

Growing up, our family travelled a lot to various ski resorts around the world. Colorado Springs was one of the best we ever went to. We ended up going there twice over a period of a 3 years. Just terrific.

That's good to hear man, makes me want to go there even more!

As someone born and brought up in Scotland it would be easy for me to put forward the undoubted beauty of my homeland.........However, as demonstrated so well here I don't think any Country could or should claim exclusive title to "the most beautiful"

[url=

Yeah it's nearly impossible to just narrow it down to one country, that's why it's a multiple choice poll!

Edited by Hunter56, 13 November 2012 - 09:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.