The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hoping Season is Cancelled

enterin

I don't know if the season will be cancelled or not, but the owners can afford to do it, while the players can't.

The owners have leverage that the players don't, longevity.

The average NHL player plays for what, 10 years? Only about half of those years on big money contracts. Whereas the owners have been earning profit from these teams for the last 10-15 years (or more, depending on team), and none of the successful franchises are about to get sold. From the owner's point of view it makes sense to lose money on this season, but make up for it across the next 10.

The owners know they have leverage over the players, the players basically have none. Only thing that is going for them is if more stars start playing in Europe, and start making Kovalchuk-esque comments about staying overseas. As of right now we are only seeing the European or Russian stars doing this. I bet the owners will start listening more when they have the likes of Crosby, Stamkos, Toews, Richards, Nash, Sedin bro's, Staal bro's jumping ship.

If only for appearance purposes and to gain some leverage, Crosby should play overseas. He is not needed in the day to day dealing with the NHLPA, and it would send a message that the players have alternate options to the NHL.

Yah, sorry Aladeen, but you've had too much of the NHL's Kool-Aid if you think the salary rollback was gone in the NHL's last offer. It was re-worded, but still there. Remember, they're working with a PR guy whose motto is "It's not what you say, its what they hear..." Not even kidding, that is literally the motto at the top of his web page.

A Positive spin to all of this is " I am in the money" look how much i am going to save this year!

Cant live with out food or shelter but I can sure live with out sports....

You have to ask your selves how would I survive an earthquake whats your first thought, after your families safety, food, water and shelter..

Would you be thinking about hockey? Honestly now.. I probably thinking not.. I am done feeding the owners..partners dont do this to each other .. Negotatiate, make up, shake hands for the sake of the best league, best players in the world.

Have a great day everyone!!

Yah, sorry Aladeen, but you've had too much of the NHL's Kool-Aid if you think the salary rollback was gone in the NHL's last offer. It was re-worded, but still there. Remember, they're working with a PR guy whose motto is "It's not what you say, its what they hear..." Not even kidding, that is literally the motto at the top of his web page.

A Positive spin to all of this is " I am in the money" look how much i am going to save this year!

Cant live with out food or shelter but I can sure live with out sports....

You have to ask your selves how would I survive an earthquake whats your first thought, after your families safety, food, water and shelter..

Would you be thinking about hockey? Honestly now.. I probably thinking not.. I am done feeding the owners..partners dont do this to each other .. Negotatiate, make up, shake hands for the sake of the best league, best players in the world.

Have a great day everyone!!

How do you feel for the players, they are getting millions for playing a game!! Both sides are selfish IMO but if I had to support a side I would actually pick the owners, considering how many NHL teams lost money last year while there players made millions. That being said like the OP said the owners are doing it to themselves by allowing their GM's to sign players to insane contracts. Capitalism at it's worst.

Actually the real villian here is the player agents. These are the people that are convincing the players to ask for larger and largers contracts and if they don't get it that means the team they play for doesn't respect them so they should leave. The NHL would be a better place without player agents.

Archived