The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is it time for a European style League?

jagori78

I believe the NHL could solve most of it's problems by looking to a European league model.

I think the NHL could support having a 10 team league with no salary cap. I will leave to you to decide which teams could be in this league.

After that, we could have a 2nd division league; much like Euro soccer. Have a main "Champions" league; where teams are moved up and down by performance and revenue.

That way the small market teams all have their own league. You can have multiple championships; and a tourney to decide who gets the Stanley Cup.

The NHL draft would only involve the 10 teams. There would be a secondary draft where the original players could be selected again. Lets say this model was in place last year. Lets say Vancouver picked Nail Yakopov with the 1st pick. Florida could pick him again in the supplemental draft. Vancouver could call him up to play in the NHL with them, or send him down again if he wasn't ready. The remaining teams could still sign players as UFA's, and draft there own players as well. You could sell or loan players as well like European soccer.

Teams that are winning in their divisons or smaller leagues could play the top NHL teams as well. You could have a 50 game NHL season, with another 20-30 games against other "leagues".

Teams would start from scratch. As this is a new league; old contracts are torn up. All players would have UFA status. I would think most elite players might stay where they are; with their families, homes, etc.

Thoughts?

To the OP:

The thing with European soccer is that there are at least five different leagues (Spain, England, Germany, Italy and France) where the best players play... If you only had one league with only ten teams (and a few teams wouldn't be contenders, ever) then the best teams would be so stacked, and the player's salarys would be so high that nobody would be able to afford them.

I mean, a soccer stadium can take like 80 000 people, whereas a hockey arena has a capacity of like 20 000...

It would be really fun (if your team was in the league, and your owner had unlimited resources...)

Even though soccer has many European leagues where top teams play, I think NHL could work as a 10 team league. Players like Spezza may rather play in a lower league and still make top dollar. Like Beckham makes great money in LA as a superstar; even though he could probably play on a much better team in Europe.

With that in mind, you could even change the schedule. Lets say the new NHL season is only 50 games. You could have inter-league games that also count for points or rankings. 20 games against the Carolinas, Phoenix, and lower leagues. Hell, for that matter, bring over the Euro teams for rankings as well.

Who wouldn't love to see the Vancouver Canucks play KHL Dynamo Moscow at Rogers' Arena. Then the next month a game against Modo. Sure they wouldn't directly count towards the standings, but it could affect rankings, meaning we could take part in certain tournaments, etc.

My point I'm trying to make is that it's time to turn hockey as we know it as Canadians into a global game. Let Ovechkin go play for Dyanmo Moscow; and watch them at Rogers' Arena. Let the Canucks go play the Swedish Elite League champions, the SuperLiga, etc. in a round-robin tournament if they win the Stanley Cup.

Oh, it's the Olympics or the World Cup of Hockey? Fine. The Sedins, Kesler, etc. go play for their teams. The Canucks keep going, as use call-ups from the lower leagues.

Most of all, frack revenue sharing. Phoenix can't afford an NHL pay-roll? Then they get stuck into an AHL level team. Tampa Bay Lighting win their Southern League? Then they get to partcipate next year in next teir.

You could have 50 teams if you really want. 12 in the Super NHL. 20 more in lower divisions. 20 more in "AHL level" or southern markets. Top 2 teams in lower divisions can move up the next year. Bottom 2 get moved down. That way the Coyotes end up in the AHL with the Milwaukee Admirals, lol. If the Oilers become a power-house, they might make the Super NHL. The incentive to be a top team is that ESPN or CBC or whatever pays the top 12 teams in the Super NHL a massive TV deal, and so on.

And this is my idea to save hockey.

Even though soccer has many European leagues where top teams play, I think NHL could work as a 10 team league. Players like Spezza may rather play in a lower league and still make top dollar. Like Beckham makes great money in LA as a superstar; even though he could probably play on a much better team in Europe.

Well first of all, the NHL would never go to such a few number of teams in the league, mainly because of money. The more team's you have, the more revenue you generate and well all know it's a business and making money is the main goal. Just look at the whole CBA mess.

I do however, like the idea of having fewer teams because there would be more talent to go around and the games would be much more exciting and but I don't like the rest of the idea. I hate the Euro style leagues 'cause there are just too many leagues and teams to keep track of. Also IMO, having one big championship, i.e. the Stanley cup, gives it more value and meaning, If you have multiple championships, it would either diminish the value of the stanley cup or those other championships would feel hollow. I mean really, what would it mean to you as a fan, if your favourite team won the 'B League' championship? It wouldn't mean much to me. Take the Calder Cup for example in the AHL, would you be jumping for joy, say if the Chicago Wolves won it? Would anyone here have a parade for them?

And speaking of the AHL, don't forget the NHL has that as it's farm league. The Euro soccer leagues don't have a farm system/league.

No, definitely not. It is another step towards obscene money.........leading to more obscene tv deals and even more obscene cable charges. It gravitates ALL the wealth to a few in a way that should NEVER be acceptable.

European soccer is money/power mad and it has ruined value and sporting integrity.

There is nothing wrong with caps and there is nothing wrong with the NHL.

All that is required is a charter of what the incomes and revenue sources are, which if any are exclusive and an agreed % split of what is left. (50/50 makes sense to me and less problematic) Perhaps with a set percentage 5-10% set aside by both sides to go to Hockey development, and other humanitarian causes.

I think the NHL is fine as it is.

What I would like to see though, is some sort of Champions League equivalent. Top 5 NHL teams (+Stanley Cup winner), top 5 KHL teams, and the top teams from Finland, Sweden and Germany?

I think it would be a success. It's just a case of fitting it in. Gives the fans something different to cheer for and would no doubt be a huge financial success. The ratings would be huge too. It'd also give NHL teams a chance to prove that they are in fact the best in the world.

I think it's an idea but not a good one. How would you feel if Vancouver was on of the teams that was on the second tear and didn't get good players? There are a number of city's that have a great love for hocky that would be robed, and frankly it would never be a possibility so I don't know why I'm responding to this trash.

I think the NHL is fine as it is.

What I would like to see though, is some sort of Champions League equivalent. Top 5 NHL teams (+Stanley Cup winner), top 5 KHL teams, and the top teams from Finland, Sweden and Germany?

I think it would be a success. It's just a case of fitting it in. Gives the fans something different to cheer for and would no doubt be a huge financial success. The ratings would be huge too. It'd also give NHL teams a chance to prove that they are in fact the best in the world.

Archived