The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shorter regular season permanently?

Super_Canuck

What do you guys think of having a shorter NHL regular season permanently? I, personally would love to see fewer games on the schedule in the regular season. IMO, 82 games are just too many, the season just drags on and the players become more fatigued which leads to a dip in the level of play. The more games you have, the less meaningful they become. I know football is a completely different sport, but look at the NFL. They only play 16 games and every game means so much.

I'd suggest having something like 60-70 games. I think this would produce more exciting hockey because 1) the players would be fresher and less fatigued with less work load 2) it would produce more meaningful games since there would be fewer games to be played.

This would also produce better and more exciting playoff hockey because of the above given reason #1. Start the playoffs in mid-march and have the cup handed out by mid May. This way you're not dragging it out all the way to mid June. The NHL playoffs would also not have to compete head to head with the NBA playoffs in the U.S market and we all the know the U.S market is what Bettman and league mostly care about. They'd get far better ratings and TV numbers if they start their playoffs one month prior to the NBA playoffs.

Of course, I know the NHL would never decrease the number of games because less games mean less revenue and we all know it's about the money. But I still, however, would like to see the season finish earlier even if it is an 82 game season.

62 game season, with an nfl style schedule having every team play on one day. For example, have "hockey nights" much like nfl sunday, every team in the nhl should play on saturday, and spread the games throughout the day giving plenty of oppurtunities to watch hockey.

Every wednesday night, and every saturday night, again with every team in the league playing would be awesome. The games would be more meaningful, more anticipated, and the players would be fresh and intense.

Also, the season should start half way through september instead of the second week of October. I'd much rather be watching hockey in September instead of of June.

62 game season, with an nfl style schedule having every team play on one day. For example, have "hockey nights" much like nfl sunday, every team in the nhl should play on saturday, and spread the games throughout the day giving plenty of oppurtunities to watch hockey.

Every wednesday night, and every saturday night, again with every team in the league playing would be awesome. The games would be more meaningful, more anticipated, and the players would be fresh and intense.

Also, the season should start half way through september instead of the second week of October. I'd much rather be watching hockey in September instead of of June.

For me, being absolutely exhausted and beat up for the playoffs and the Stanley Cup is what makes is the best and most exciting trophy to win.

I like the fact that it's a huge grind to make it all the way.

Archived