The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shorter regular season permanently?

Super_Canuck

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What do you guys think of having a shorter NHL regular season permanently? I, personally would love to see fewer games on the schedule in the regular season. IMO, 82 games are just too many, the season just drags on and the players become more fatigued which leads to a dip in the level of play. The more games you have, the less meaningful they become. I know football is a completely different sport, but look at the NFL. They only play 16 games and every game means so much.

I'd suggest having something like 60-70 games. I think this would produce more exciting hockey because 1) the players would be fresher and less fatigued with less work load 2) it would produce more meaningful games since there would be fewer games to be played.

This would also produce better and more exciting playoff hockey because of the above given reason #1. Start the playoffs in mid-march and have the cup handed out by mid May. This way you're not dragging it out all the way to mid June. The NHL playoffs would also not have to compete head to head with the NBA playoffs in the U.S market and we all the know the U.S market is what Bettman and league mostly care about. They'd get far better ratings and TV numbers if they start their playoffs one month prior to the NBA playoffs.

Of course, I know the NHL would never decrease the number of games because less games mean less revenue and we all know it's about the money. But I still, however, would like to see the season finish earlier even if it is an 82 game season.

I would love to see the NHL go back to 72 games, but it's never going to happen. Although the players may be willing to let go some of their salary in exchange for a shorter season, I don't see the teams willing to give up the revenue.

Thing is though, if they were to go with a shorter schedule, I don't think it should make the calendar shorter. I think it would be better to spread the games out just a little more to reduce fatigue and the chance of injury.

On the other hand, I would like to see the season end earlier, but I think they should accomplish this by starting earlier. I think it would be great to have training camp and pre-season in August and get the season going on Labour Day.

So to summarize my rambling... 72 game season, September to March, raise the Stanley Cup before the end of May.

I wouldn't mind a shorter season by decreasing the number of games played against other teams in our division.

The breakdown of the games should be something like

1) A Home and Away against every other team in the league. (29 x 2) games

2) An extra game against the other teams in your conference (29 x 2)+14 games=72 games.

I voted NO, because I love hockey and even though you can tell some games aren't as meaningful, because yes maybe from fatigue, I still want to watch the game and watch hockey as much as I can in a year that's how good it is. If anything I wish it was a shorter pre season, the Sedins and Keslers, or Luongos don't even play until like the 4th or 5th pre season game, boring. As far as the season goes I still want to watch 82 games and playoffs no matter what, I'd be more upset if it was less games to be honest.

But don't get me wrong OP I understand your view on the whole situation, I just wouldn't want it, and plus I could care less about Bettman and the US especially since I don't care for Basketball. Bring on the HOCKEY.

Maybe cut it by 10, but no more. Sometime it seems to drag but then again thats what makes the final game and series so fun to watch. You see players tired, hurt, some playing with one good hand, etc. It's amazing to watch that kind of dedication imo.

Would be nice, in a way.. But it won't happen, they would lose money which is something they won't be willing to do. (Minus this lockout of course) lol Also I enjoy watching hockey so much, I actually like that I get to see 82 games every year. What I would like to see, is a best of 5 series for the playoffs instead of 7, it would give all the games even more impact. :shock::)

What do you guys think of having a shorter NHL regular season permanently? I, personally would love to see fewer games on the schedule in the regular season. IMO, 82 games are just too many, the season just drags on and the players become more fatigued which leads to a dip in the level of play. The more games you have, the less meaningful they become. I know football is a completely different sport, but look at the NFL. They only play 16 games and every game means so much.

I'd suggest having something like 60-70 games. I think this would produce more exciting hockey because 1) the players would be fresher and less fatigued with less work load 2) it would produce more meaningful games since there would be fewer games to be played.

This would also produce better and more exciting playoff hockey because of the above given reason #1. Start the playoffs in mid-march and have the cup handed out by mid May. This way you're not dragging it out all the way to mid June. The NHL playoffs would also not have to compete head to head with the NBA playoffs in the U.S market and we all the know the U.S market is what Bettman and league mostly care about. They'd get far better ratings and TV numbers if they start their playoffs one month prior to the NBA playoffs.

Of course, I know the NHL would never decrease the number of games because less games mean less revenue and we all know it's about the money. But I still, however, would like to see the season finish earlier even if it is an 82 game season.

Im kind of surprised people are so against this.

Were always hearing about how teams in the east have a significant advantage thanks to their travel schedule.

The Canucks would benefit from this as much or more then any other team imo.

It would also emphasize the need to play well all season, rather then have teams like LA who caught fire at the right time.

Archived