Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

Shorter regular season permanently?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

Poll: Shorter regular season permanently? (68 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you in favour of a shorter regular season?

1. Yes (32 votes [47.06%])

Percentage of vote: 47.06%

2. No (36 votes [52.94%])

Percentage of vote: 52.94%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,680 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:47 PM

I don't like the playoffs going into June. But $$$$$$$$$$$$$ so it will never happen. There is a chance the season will be lengthened but no chance of being shortened.

This^

Less games means less revenue for the owners and considering that's all we've been talking about with the lockout I don't see it happening.

EDIT: why do people make polls that are intended to pick only one answer so you can pick both?

Edited by elvis15, 02 November 2012 - 04:48 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#32 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,431 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

I wouldn't mind a shorter season by decreasing the number of games played against other teams in our division.

The breakdown of the games should be something like

1) A Home and Away against every other team in the league. (29 x 2) games
2) An extra game against the other teams in your conference (29 x 2)+14 games=72 games.

Eh

Edited by Stefan, 02 November 2012 - 07:40 PM.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#33 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,242 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

Grammer police you didn't notice the spelling mistake there? lol

it was intentional... but thanx fur cuming ought

Edited by avelanch, 02 November 2012 - 07:54 PM.

#34 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,242 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

When you have too much of something, people usually get bored of it no matter what it is. Less would create much more demand and interest which is better for business

you DO know it was a joke, right?

#35 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,680 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

Grammer police you didn't notice the spelling mistake there? lol

Irony is ironic.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#36 babych

babych

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

Anyone else remember the old saying "If it isn't broken, don't fix it"? There haven't been any real problems with an 82 game season, a shorter season would only further hurt the struggling markets.

On the flip side, there's also the saying "Good is the enemy of great". A shorter season would make every game a little more meaningful and should raise the quality of the product.

As to the struggling markets, maybe they need to relocate or fold - either of which would lead to a stronger league.
(shiznak@Jun 17 2008, 08:00 PM)
Kesler was lucky to score 20 this year since the injury to Morrison allowed him to do so.

I doubt Kesler would ever break 15 goals in his career again.

#37 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,665 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

Sure. Then add another round of playoffs. I'm sure the owners will love it.
Posted Image

#38 luongo_01

luongo_01

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 07:47 PM

Theoretically (unlikely, I know), if the league and PA come to a miraculous agreement, how many games would be played at this point in time? 60? 40? Would the cancellation of the Winter Classic have any bearing on the # of games?
Posted Image

#39 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,284 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

Even with a shorter season you'd still get plenty of games through 'the long winters'.

The more the merrier.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#40 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,284 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

I can't stand hockey once it gets into late spring shorter seasons means may at the latest.

Why do you hate spring games though?

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#41 VIC_CITY

VIC_CITY

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

Definitely not. It sucks that our travel is so brutal over 82, but the stats would be messed and no records would ever be broken...ever.

#42 Thumbs_up_Jesus

Thumbs_up_Jesus

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:10 AM

5 games off the pre-season
10 games off the regular season

especially with the amount of travel the canucks have to do.. this would be a huge advantage for them.
Posted Image

#43 komodo1970

komodo1970

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

A shorter season makes a lot of sense. Your first point is valid. A shortened season would be beneficial to the level of play. Fresher players means faster, more exciting regular season and playoff games. Every game would become more important and wins within the division become critical.
A shortened season also allows more time for injuries to heal and may lessen the pressure on top players to return to play too early and re aggravating old injuries. Players like Crosby and Kesler would definately have benefitted from this. Ending the season in mid May allows more time for GMs to prepare for things like the draft. I believe that it also allows more time to deal with trade issues leading up to the draft.
I don't believe there would be a significant drop in revenue. As was stated the lack of competition with the NBA Playoffs allows for more lucrative playoff deals with American markets. This, I believe, would be nothing but a plus for all concerned. Added exposure during a relatively dead time in the sports world would have to be viewed as beneficial to owners and players alike.

#44 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:38 PM

I don't like the playoffs going into June. But $$$$$$$$$$$$$ so it will never happen. There is a chance the season will be lengthened but no chance of being shortened.

I have to agree with you on that . I still remember when the playoffs would end in May. I remember at some point that Bettman was thinking of expanding the playoffs to 20 teams. God forbid if that ever happens. We be seeing the finals in July.

#45 James van Riemsdyk

James van Riemsdyk

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

I wouldn't mind if they cut it down to a couple games shorter but i prefer a longer season.
Posted Image
Edmonton Oilers CHL AGM
Edmontion Oilers SRHL Commissioner/GM

#46 stanleycanucks

stanleycanucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

72 games is the way it always should have been. It got broke by trying to "fix" it back then.

Bring back 72!
"It's the best TEAM that wins the Cup. The best teams have the best leaders. The best leaders have the support and respect of the best teammates. And it's the best coaches that guide and inspire them all." - StanleyCanucks

#47 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,527 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

Drop two teams to 28 teams.

Full interlocking schedule (i.e. every team plays each team twice, so we get to see Pittsburgh, Montreal, Toronto, Tampa, Philly every season) 2 x 27 = 54 games

Play each team in the conference twice 13 x 2 = 26 games

54+26= 80 games.

Problem solved. Best of all it gets rid of cushy travel schedules for the East and evens out the travel for everyone.

Edited by Ghostsof1915, 12 November 2012 - 02:41 PM.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#48 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

#49 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,622 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

I have to work all year long, why don't they?

Your work is not even comparable to theirs.

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.