The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Own a 2010-12 Hyundai or Kia? You may be Entitled to Reimbursement

Wetcoaster

It seems Hyundai and Kia based its mileage claims on erroneous test results and as a result owners and former owners of certain 2010-12 models from those manufacturers may be eligible for reimbursement.

Full information about the program and what vehicles qualify is available at:

http://hyundaifuelconsumption.ca/

and

http://kiafuelconsumption.ca/

As reported:

Hyundai Auto Canada Corp. and Kia Canada Inc. announced today they will reimburse drivers who bought cars from them between the 2010 and 2012 model years, because an error at the companies' testing facilities in Korea has made the cars less fuel efficient than advertised.

The companies said in a release that 172,000 cars across Canada are affected.

On average, the fuel consumption across all Kia and Hyundai cars is actually 0.3 litres higher per 100 kilometres than advertised — meaning if your car allegedly can go 100 kilometres on 10 litres of gas, it actually will use 10.3 litres to do that trip.

Both companies have implemented a comprehensive reimbursement program to any current or former owners of the cars in question.

Owners will get a credit card loaded with cash to cover the extra fuel they have had to buy. How much the card will have on it is based on the average fuel price where they live, and how much the car was driven.

Drivers will also get a 15 per cent top-up to compensate them for the inconvenience, the companies say.

"We are very sorry about the errors and we are committed to making sure the owners of every affected Hyundai vehicle are fully compensated," Hyundai Canada CEO Steve Kelleher said.

"Kia Canada deeply regrets that this situation has occurred and will ensure all affected Kia customers will quickly receive fair compensation," Kia Canada CEO William Lee added.

The companies say the fuel consumption rating discrepancies came from procedural errors during a process called "coast down" testing at joint testing operations in Korea.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2012/11/02/kia-hyundai-gas.html

You get big time fines a well (as a company), but doesnt every company lie about this my SUV doesnt get what they say it does. Also as a company that has a really shatty reputation you need to do anything to save face/customers on top of potntially getting sued

My coworker just traded in his 2012 for a 2013 (smaller model)...based on the horrible fuel consumption! Won't he be pleased?

(He also bought a new home, first time buyer, in December of last year....making him ineligible for the new grant that is available)

Lol

Its a perfect example of the damage done by poor quality.

Hyundais car division was nearly finished in around 1988 i believe.

Heck i bought a crap box 1981 Honda Civic for $300 back in 2006. Thing still ran a treat.

Ponys struggled to make if past the 5 year mark.

I have a 2010 Honda Insight. The mileage isn't nearly what it was advertised as.

I really hope they follow suit and give me moneys.

Apparently they (honda) had a class action lawsuit because of models from 06-09... Mental.

Archived