The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Another suspicious package found at skytrain lines

Canuckerbird

The bomb squad was called in and commuters on the eastbound Skytrain were shuttled to buses after an explosive device was found on the tracks at the Scott Road Skytrain Station:

METRO VANCOUVER - Transit police and the RCMP are trying to determine who was responsible for placing a makeshift explosive device on the SkyTrain tracks in Surrey Friday afternoon.

Surrey RCMP’s explosives unit was dispatched to a section of the Expo Line at about 2 p.m. Friday, after a passenger reported seeing a suspicious red canister on the line midway between the Scott Road and Gateway stations.

When the unit arrived, they found three cylinders strapped together with a small red canister, with straps and wires sticking out of it, attached to the bundle.

“When you looked down on the device you could see what appeared to be some sort of red canister; it looked like possibly a fire extinguisher or an oxygen tank,” said Transit police spokeswoman Anne Drennan.

The unit removed the entire contraption in an explosive safe container and will dismantle it, keeping the canisters for forensic testing and evidence, Drennan said. The device itself will be blown up for safety reasons.

There are no suspects at this point.

“We have no idea how the device was placed there; it is possible physically for it to have been thrown up on the track but we don’t know that what happened and we don’t know how long it was there,” Drennan said. “We asking anybody who had seen anything suspicious to give Transit police a call.”

The discovery led TransLink to stopping running trains between Scott Road and Gateway stations, with a bus bridge running between the two stations, until 5:30 p.m.

http://www.vancouversun.com/Police+confirm+explosive+device+found+SkyTrain+tracks+Surrey/7491331/story.html

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/11/02/skytrain-bomb-explosive-device/

SURREY, B.C. — Police say a device found on the elevated tracks of the SkyTrain line in Surrey, B.C., Friday was an explosive.

Transit Police spokeswoman Anne Drennan says the object was spotted by a passenger on the tracks between the Scott Road and Gateway stations.

She says the device looked like a small propane tank with straps and wires attached.

A bomb squad was called and recovered the device, and police are looking at surveillance video for any clues about who left the object on the tracks.

The incident disrupted service on the SkyTrain system between the Scott Road and Gateway stations for about three hours.

Of course my commute home was during that 3 hour stoppage. The amount of people at Scott Road waiting for buses was insane. I ended up just walking the 30 minutes between the two stations. I can nearly guarantee I made it to Gateway before the people waiting in line did.

Of course my commute home was during that 3 hour stoppage. The amount of people at Scott Road waiting for buses was insane. I ended up just walking the 30 minutes between the two stations. I can nearly guarantee I made it to Gateway before the people waiting in line did.

Aaaaaaaand now Metrotown... The heck? This is no kid with Halloween fireworks.

RCMP contain explosive device along SkyTrain line

VANCOUVER(NEWS1130) -SkyTrain is not stopping at Metrotown Station due to a police incident.

Unconfirmed reports suggest a suspicious package was discovered during a security sweep of the east entrance to the station.

Translink says trains are running through the station without stopping. Customers going to Metrotown will need to get off at Patterson or Royal Oak.

Metrotown Bus Loop is still open at this time, and Coast Mountain Bus Company has called in shuttle buses to assist with heavy passenger loads.

The bomb-squad has been called in.

No word when the situation will be resolved.

Archived