The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Changing hockey as we know it.

zombieksa

I want players to make less salary and get more performance bonuses so players would try their hardest all the time and not coast through some games. You wouldn't see players signing those huge contracts and then all the sudden sucking anymore. ( Redden, Gomez etc)

#1. Get rid of the &%#@!$* trapezoid already. It was stupid when it was introduced and it's even stupider now. Their rationale at the time was that it would increase offence, but all it's done is hindered goaltenders and caused injury.

#2. Along with #1, make goaltenders fair game outside of the crease.

#3. Get rid of the delay of game call for puck over the glass. It was fine when goaltenders did it, but penalizing players for incidental plays is silly.

#4. Hybrid icing. Self-explanatory.

#5. Get rid of the instigator rule. It's stupid.

Let the goalies play the puck again but don't make them immune to contact,no touch icing..

Give them a sticker that says Dummy on the helmet if caught skating with your head down,probably cut down on head injuries.Watch old clips of Guy Lafleur as soon as he gets the puck his head is on a swivel looking for on coming trains.

Seems the more they penalize players ,the more guys think they can skate with their heads down ,Seems it's creating the opposite effect on the ice.I like the flow of no red line ,but putting it back in it slows the game thru the neutral zone and less open ice full speed concussion collisions.

In-house video replay for all plays resulting in injury.

Tracker-in-puck + sensor on the goal line to better determine goals (and eliminate premature flash and goal horn.)

Sensors on the blue line, sending a signal to officials when the puck crosses the line to aid in better offside calls.

Arenas charging less for beer should supplement arenas with higher beer prices in a profit sharing agreement for league-wide beer price parity.

- Consistency. Something that is worth a penalty in the 1st should also be a penalty in overtime. Something that is a penalty in game 1 of the regular season should be a penalty in game 7 of a playoff series. (Boston vs. Tampa, game 7, no penalties? Are you kidding me?)

- Hybrid icing...should be a no-brainer.

- Get rid of the linesmen, or at least get them off the ice. Offside calls can easily be made from above - and be more accurate to boot. This gets 2 zebras out of the way of the play.

- Things I like that NHL has proposed recently: realignment, 2-year entry-level contracts, elimination of recall waivers.

- This will never happen, but LESS GAMES. At the very least, knock off a couple exhibition games, and a couple regular season ones. Give players a couple less back-to-backs, and have the season end a few days earlier.

I don't think having the instigator rule stops that anyways. They usually just hand that one out to the guy that started it, not the ones that pile on afterwards.

I was just thinking of another change they should make, although this would tie in with the NHL Fines thread and the CBA thread... they should apply fines as a percentage of the player's per game salary.

What's the maximum fine right now? I think it's $5,000 or something like that. If a player does something stupid that warrants a fine, it should hurt them equally. So for example, for the same incidents, Cooke would get a fine of $5,000 (based on $1.25M for 2013) and Crosby would get $48,000 (based on $12M for 2013).

I think the idea behind the rule is that if no one wants to face the consequences for starting a brawl there won't be one. Beyond brawls, I think there's also the idea that some guys might start useless fights at the end of the game out of frustration, possibly increasing the risk of injury without any real benefit to either team since the game is almost over. And, it would seriously drag out some games if every time the puck drops so do the gloves.

I guess there's the difference. I always thought the instigator rule was there to prevent the retribution type fights, more so than the line brawls. They do have some sort of supplemental rule for fights late in the game, separate from the instigator rule.

Archived