The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Changing hockey as we know it.

zombieksa

I'm not against the instigator rule in theory. The goonery that it helped prevent (simply grabbing a star player and beating him into submission) is far worse than the side effects of the rule.

I will say that it is often misapplied though. If you throw a clean hit, and a guy jumps you, YES, please give that player an instigator. But if you throw a dirty hit, as far as I'm concerned, fisticuffs have already been instigated.

Refs have to be more consistent.

What's the other rule relating to starting fights late in the game? I know there's the one for fighting outside of the "periods" of the game, but I think that's just meant to prevent fighting after the game was over. Is there another one?

Found it...

46.12 Instigator in Final Five Minutes of Regulation Time (or Anytime in Overtime) - A player who is deemed to be the instigator of an altercation in the final five (5) minutes of regulation time or at any time in overtime shall be assessed an instigator minor penalty, a major penalty for fighting, and a game misconduct penalty, subject to the conditions outlined in 46.22.

If you instigate in the last 5, you get an extra game misconduct on top of the usual penalties.

Penalties take players off the ice(down to 3) more often. So coincidental minors when teams are 4-on-4 would make them play 3-on-3 and if there are coincidental penalties on a 5-on-4 PP it becomes a 4-on-3. Also a fight would mean 4-on-4 hockey for 5 minutes.

The other thing I'd do is give arenas more personality. Shorter/longer. Wider/narrower. bigger or smaller neutral zones. Nets farther out or closer to the end boards. I thinks it's more interesting when each arena has it's own unique flavor to them rather than just having all these cookie cutter arenas we have now.

A. No touch icing. It will save a d-man's life one day!

B. 28 team league with 4 divisions of 7 teams each. (i.e. get rid of two teams, hold a dispersal draft, 10 year freeze on expansion)

C. Full interlocking schedule. i.e. every team plays each team twice 54 games. They then play each team in the conference twice (13 x2) 26 games. 80 game season. This eliminates teams back east having cushy travel schedules while teams like the Canucks rack up the air miles!

D. One ref system. Keep the linesmen, but one ref. We're not getting more calls with 2 refs, we're getting less consistency.

E. Elimination of the instigator rule.

F. Return the 2 Minute Major, especially for high sticking, or checking from behind.

G. No trapezoid, but if a goalie is outside his crease he's fair game.

H. Shot over the glass like icing, no line changes and faceoff in the zone for the team that did the shot over the glass.

I. Overtime 4 on 4 for 10 minutes. If no scoring, it goes to a shootout. Losing team does not get a point regardless, and the winning team gets 1 point for winning in O/T or shootout. This puts an emphasis on winning in regulation. Why reward a team for making it to overtime??

Fun Topic.

- Hybrid Icing

- Contraction and/or Relocation: Anaheim, Columbus, Florida, Phoenix, Tampa Bay. I'd say move three to Ontario, Quebec, and Seattle and do away with two of them, dispersal draft.

- Re-alignment: I'm not sure how this would work because there's more Eastern teams than Western ones but pretty much the entire Central division should be in the Eastern Conference.

- Shootouts are fun to watch but it's not fair. I'd like to see an extended 4v4 OT.

- Anyone else get annoyed when refs get in the way of the play? I wish there was a way to prevent that but I cant really think of a realistic one atm.

A. No touch icing. It will save a d-man's life one day!

B. 28 team league with 4 divisions of 7 teams each. (i.e. get rid of two teams, hold a dispersal draft, 10 year freeze on expansion)

C. Full interlocking schedule. i.e. every team plays each team twice 54 games. They then play each team in the conference twice (13 x2) 26 games. 80 game season. This eliminates teams back east having cushy travel schedules while teams like the Canucks rack up the air miles!

D. One ref system. Keep the linesmen, but one ref. We're not getting more calls with 2 refs, we're getting less consistency.

E. Elimination of the instigator rule.

F. Return the 2 Minute Major, especially for high sticking, or checking from behind.

G. No trapezoid, but if a goalie is outside his crease he's fair game.

H. Shot over the glass like icing, no line changes and faceoff in the zone for the team that did the shot over the glass.

I. Overtime 4 on 4 for 10 minutes. If no scoring, it goes to a shootout. Losing team does not get a point regardless, and the winning team gets 1 point for winning in O/T or shootout. This puts an emphasis on winning in regulation. Why reward a team for making it to overtime??

Archived