35 replies to this topic

#1 i4i

i4i

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

So basically I wanted a job because I'm taking some time off before I go to University. Might as well have something that occupies a couple hours of my day, and make some money too.

Anyways, I applied at Walmart a couple weeks ago and I got a call back a few days ago. I did the phone interview, or whatever it's called, and the person who I was talking too said the interview is on Wednesday. The thing I'm worried about is they also said it's a group interview so it will be myself and others getting interviewed at the same time. Also, they said we might so some role playing (not looking forward to that one bit) and a questionaire.

This is my first ever job interview and I'm pretty nervous (even right now) and I was wondering if anybody on CDC has experienced this? Or does a CDC member on here work or had previously worked at Walmart?

So any help is appreciated.

Posted Image

Sig made by allons-y. Concept by canuckforever00.

Thanks guys.

#2 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,040 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

So basically I wanted a job because I'm taking some time off before I go to University. Might as well have something that occupies a couple hours of my day, and make some money too.

Anyways, I applied at Walmart a couple weeks ago and I got a call back a few days ago. I did the phone interview, or whatever it's called, and the person who I was talking too said the interview is on Wednesday. The thing I'm worried about is they also said it's a group interview so it will be myself and others getting interviewed at the same time. Also, they said we might so some role playing (not looking forward to that one bit) and a questionaire.

This is my first ever job interview and I'm pretty nervous (even right now) and I was wondering if anybody on CDC has experienced this? Or does a CDC member on here work or had previously worked at Walmart?

sounds kinky.

#3 i4i

i4i

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

sounds kinky.

What if I'm in a group full of dudes... :frantic:

Posted Image

Thanks guys.

#4 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,040 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

What if I'm in a group full of dudes... :frantic:

stay on top?

#5 JimLahey

JimLahey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts

I haven't worked at Walmart, but don't they have to sing some song before work?

hL9YqYN.jpg

#6 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,640 posts

First, don't wear casual. Shows you don't care and don't have the time to clean yourself up to something decent like a job interview. Think business casual if you're wondering what to wear because you don't want to overdress. It's Walmart. You're going to be wearing a uniform so you might as well dress as if you're going to be working there.

Second, group interviews are for management to find who stands out and who can take initiative. They're designed to see who can be a leader and who can come up with good ideas for the store/co-workers. It's also designed to see if you can work well within a team-oriented environment.

Lastly, most group interviews also have face to face one on one interviews as well and if that happens and at the end, they ask you if you have any questions for them, COME PREPARED WITH AT LEAST TWO QUESTIONS. It shows that you have interest in the job you're applying for and not just another regular nut who just applied and is hoping for a job. Questions like, what's the working environment like on a regular day, or what do you expect out of your employees if hired, will allow the interviewer to remember and make a note that you asked and is someone interested in the job.

I learnt from my mistakes from the tips I'm giving you and recently I landed a job that I've desperately wanted for 2 years now. Be yourself, be open-minded to ideas and opinions, and most of all, let employers know that you're interested by being initiative and asking questions to the interviewer

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#7 aliboy

aliboy

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,820 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

Do what Norm did in Cheers, just start singing, 'Nick, Nak, Paddy, Wack.'

#8 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

Role playing?

My guess is they are going to give you a situation where you have to please a number of people at once. I had a question like this once and if I remember right the best solution was to serve the person that you can deal with quickest first.
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#9 BeaverTongue

BeaverTongue

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

It's not that bad, I've worked for Walmart on two different occasions ( and locations ).

They are really only concerned about a few things.

1. You're a team player (reason for the group interview) they want to see how to interact with others. People you don't know.. You'll be playing this stupid board game lol, it teaches you about the company and they want to see who stands out and participates.

2. Your availability! they are very flexible when you've been hired, but to get hired they want to see that you can work most evenings and weekends (especially if you're a student)

3. References -- Make sure you have these or you wont get hired, it's part of there hiring process and pretty much will solidify your hire.

Dont be shy! just be yourself and you'll do fine.

#10 i4i

i4i

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

First, don't wear casual. Shows you don't care and don't have the time to clean yourself up to something decent like a job interview. Think business casual if you're wondering what to wear because you don't want to overdress. It's Walmart. You're going to be wearing a uniform so you might as well dress as if you're going to be working there.

Second, group interviews are for management to find who stands out and who can take initiative. They're designed to see who can be a leader and who can come up with good ideas for the store/co-workers. It's also designed to see if you can work well within a team-oriented environment.

Lastly, most group interviews also have face to face one on one interviews as well and if that happens and at the end, they ask you if you have any questions for them, COME PREPARED WITH AT LEAST TWO QUESTIONS. It shows that you have interest in the job you're applying for and not just another regular nut who just applied and is hoping for a job. Questions like, what's the working environment like on a regular day, or what do you expect out of your employees if hired, will allow the interviewer to remember and make a note that you asked and is someone interested in the job.

I learnt from my mistakes from the tips I'm giving you and recently I landed a job that I've desperately wanted for 2 years now. Be yourself, be open-minded to ideas and opinions, and most of all, let employers know that you're interested by being initiative and asking questions to the interviewer

Thank you soo much! I really appreciate this. And reading this calmed my nerves a bit. +1.

Edited by i4i, 05 November 2012 - 12:24 PM.

Posted Image

Thanks guys.

#11 i4i

i4i

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

It's not that bad, I've worked for Walmart on two different occasions ( and locations ).

1. You're a team player (reason for the group interview) they want to see how to interact with others. People you don't know.. You'll be playing this stupid board game lol, it teaches you about the company and they want to see who stands out and participates.

2. Your availability! they are very flexible when you've been hired, but to get hired they want to see that you can work most evenings and weekends (especially if you're a student)

3. References -- Make sure you have these or you wont get hired, it's part of there hiring process and pretty much will solidify your hire.

I'm pretty shy in nature. And even more when I have to meet new people. This could be tough... :lol:

Edited by i4i, 05 November 2012 - 12:27 PM.

Posted Image

Thanks guys.

#12 nux4lyfe

nux4lyfe

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

Relax, It's Walmart..jobs pretty much guaranteed unless you show up super drunk or on crack.

13zpnd4.jpg

Thank You Twilight Sparkle for the dope sig!

#13 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,233 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

You finished high school without ever having a job? o_O

28mmdg5.jpg

Thanks to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome signature

egpcw0.gif

#14 SterlingArcher

SterlingArcher

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

Relax, It's Walmart..jobs pretty much guaranteed unless you show up super drunk or on crack.

What he said, plus dress nice so you stand out, answer questions clearly and confidently.
Posted Image
Posted Image-Mod note: Inappropriate

#15 i4i

i4i

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

Yeah?... Is that bad?

Posted Image

Thanks guys.

#16 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,889 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

my wife didn't have a job until she was in her 4th year of university.

#17 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

I'm pretty shy in nature. And even more when I have to meet new people. This could be tough... :lol:

Above all, be yourself. Answer the questions honestly, not how you think they want the questions to be answered.
Posted Image

#18 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,233 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

Yeah?... Is that bad?

my wife didn't have a job until she was in her 4th year of university.

Not that it's bad, just that my circle of friends and family always had had atleast one job during high school, so I've never known anyone who's never had a job .

28mmdg5.jpg

Thanks to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome signature

egpcw0.gif

#19 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

No worries, I'm shy a bit myself but you just gotta be comfortable talking to people you've never met and will possibly never meet again unless they get hired as well. It's not that hard once you do it constantly on a daily basis.

I didn't get my first actual part-time job until after I graduated high school. I had a job for PNE in the summer for their 100th anniversary for The Fair but I don't call it an actual job because of the way I was treated in terms of work hours.

Hell, I have some friends who are in 2nd year university like me who has never had a part-time job in their life and have no plans on looking for one for a while..

Edited by Markus Alexander Cody, 05 November 2012 - 12:49 PM.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#20 i4i

i4i

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

No worries, I'm shy a bit myself but you just gotta be comfortable talking to people you've never met and will possibly never meet again unless they get hired as well. It's not that hard once you do it constantly on a daily basis.

Yeah, you're right. I just have to remind myself that it's just talking. Not a big deal. Just talk, like I do everyday. *Takes big breath* I can do this.

Posted Image

Thanks guys.

#21 moz

moz

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

If they ask you about a time when you made someones day, don't answer "errr, I don't know really ... um, once when I was getting off the bus an old man stopped me and said I was so beautiful that it made his day...".

For real, the last group interview I went to the girl next to me answered with that. The management just cringed. Total car crash.

Just be yourself and read up on the company because a lot of times they ask you about what you know. And they usually ask why you want the job too.

30arfw2.gif

Thanks to myself for the sig

#22 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:09 PM

I haven't worked at Walmart, but don't they have to sing some song before work?

Yes they do. Before the store opens all available employees are required to report (to usually the front of the store, some do it outside) to perform the WAL~MART cheer.

This is done in EVERY store.

http://youtu.be/Njp7ZPeUy2w

Joey has obviously downed his 3rd cup of coffee for the day.

Edited by nuckin_futz, 05 November 2012 - 03:10 PM.

#23 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

Yes they do. Before the store opens all available employees are required to report (to usually the front of the store, some do it outside) to perform the WAL~MART cheer.

This is done in EVERY store.

They do this at the Home Depot too, but not every day.

I really don't see the point though. I don't go out and try to sell more paint just because we did a goofy cheer to start the day. The only people who are influenced by this are probably the ones that are also susceptible to Jedi mind tricks.
Posted Image

#24 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

Step 1 - Immediately ask how much you're getting paid.
Step 2 - Ask for more money.
Step 3 - Ask when you start.

#25 i4i

i4i

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

If you don't mind me asking, what did you wear for your interview?

Like a dress shirt, dress pants, and dress shoes? Or something like a button-up shirt, dark jeans, and shoes?

Posted Image

Thanks guys.

#26 i4i

i4i

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,794 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

Step 1 - Immediately ask how much you're getting paid.
Step 2 - Ask for more money.
Step 3 - Ask when you start.

I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Posted Image

Thanks guys.

#27 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

If you don't mind me asking, what did you wear for your interview?

Like a dress shirt, dress pants, and dress shoes? Or something like a button-up shirt, dark jeans, and shoes?

I never worked for WalMart, but I would lean towards the first option. You might not need to go as far as a dress shirt, but a nice quality golf shirt / polo top at least.
Posted Image

#28 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

And always... bring a pen.
Posted Image

#29 GoaltenderInterference

GoaltenderInterference

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,880 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

Don't speak much but don't speak too little.

Press the Panic Button! Posted Image

Posted Image
Derek Boogaard, Rick Rypien, Wade Belak, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl
Sig by .CM.

#30 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

See this past post:
http://forum.canucks.../#entry10001472
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.