The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Going to an Interview - Help

Joker

So basically I wanted a job because I'm taking some time off before I go to University. Might as well have something that occupies a couple hours of my day, and make some money too.

Anyways, I applied at Walmart a couple weeks ago and I got a call back a few days ago. I did the phone interview, or whatever it's called, and the person who I was talking too said the interview is on Wednesday. The thing I'm worried about is they also said it's a group interview so it will be myself and others getting interviewed at the same time. Also, they said we might so some role playing (not looking forward to that one bit) and a questionaire.

This is my first ever job interview and I'm pretty nervous (even right now) and I was wondering if anybody on CDC has experienced this? Or does a CDC member on here work or had previously worked at Walmart?

So any help is appreciated.

So basically I wanted a job because I'm taking some time off before I go to University. Might as well have something that occupies a couple hours of my day, and make some money too.

Anyways, I applied at Walmart a couple weeks ago and I got a call back a few days ago. I did the phone interview, or whatever it's called, and the person who I was talking too said the interview is on Wednesday. The thing I'm worried about is they also said it's a group interview so it will be myself and others getting interviewed at the same time. Also, they said we might so some role playing (not looking forward to that one bit) and a questionaire.

This is my first ever job interview and I'm pretty nervous (even right now) and I was wondering if anybody on CDC has experienced this? Or does a CDC member on here work or had previously worked at Walmart?

So any help is appreciated.

First, don't wear casual. Shows you don't care and don't have the time to clean yourself up to something decent like a job interview. Think business casual if you're wondering what to wear because you don't want to overdress. It's Walmart. You're going to be wearing a uniform so you might as well dress as if you're going to be working there.

Second, group interviews are for management to find who stands out and who can take initiative. They're designed to see who can be a leader and who can come up with good ideas for the store/co-workers. It's also designed to see if you can work well within a team-oriented environment.

Lastly, most group interviews also have face to face one on one interviews as well and if that happens and at the end, they ask you if you have any questions for them, COME PREPARED WITH AT LEAST TWO QUESTIONS. It shows that you have interest in the job you're applying for and not just another regular nut who just applied and is hoping for a job. Questions like, what's the working environment like on a regular day, or what do you expect out of your employees if hired, will allow the interviewer to remember and make a note that you asked and is someone interested in the job.

I learnt from my mistakes from the tips I'm giving you and recently I landed a job that I've desperately wanted for 2 years now. Be yourself, be open-minded to ideas and opinions, and most of all, let employers know that you're interested by being initiative and asking questions to the interviewer

Role playing?

My guess is they are going to give you a situation where you have to please a number of people at once. I had a question like this once and if I remember right the best solution was to serve the person that you can deal with quickest first.

It's not that bad, I've worked for Walmart on two different occasions ( and locations ).

They are really only concerned about a few things.

1. You're a team player (reason for the group interview) they want to see how to interact with others. People you don't know.. You'll be playing this stupid board game lol, it teaches you about the company and they want to see who stands out and participates.

2. Your availability! they are very flexible when you've been hired, but to get hired they want to see that you can work most evenings and weekends (especially if you're a student)

3. References -- Make sure you have these or you wont get hired, it's part of there hiring process and pretty much will solidify your hire.

Dont be shy! just be yourself and you'll do fine.

First, don't wear casual. Shows you don't care and don't have the time to clean yourself up to something decent like a job interview. Think business casual if you're wondering what to wear because you don't want to overdress. It's Walmart. You're going to be wearing a uniform so you might as well dress as if you're going to be working there.

Second, group interviews are for management to find who stands out and who can take initiative. They're designed to see who can be a leader and who can come up with good ideas for the store/co-workers. It's also designed to see if you can work well within a team-oriented environment.

Lastly, most group interviews also have face to face one on one interviews as well and if that happens and at the end, they ask you if you have any questions for them, COME PREPARED WITH AT LEAST TWO QUESTIONS. It shows that you have interest in the job you're applying for and not just another regular nut who just applied and is hoping for a job. Questions like, what's the working environment like on a regular day, or what do you expect out of your employees if hired, will allow the interviewer to remember and make a note that you asked and is someone interested in the job.

I learnt from my mistakes from the tips I'm giving you and recently I landed a job that I've desperately wanted for 2 years now. Be yourself, be open-minded to ideas and opinions, and most of all, let employers know that you're interested by being initiative and asking questions to the interviewer

It's not that bad, I've worked for Walmart on two different occasions ( and locations ).

They are really only concerned about a few things.

1. You're a team player (reason for the group interview) they want to see how to interact with others. People you don't know.. You'll be playing this stupid board game lol, it teaches you about the company and they want to see who stands out and participates.

2. Your availability! they are very flexible when you've been hired, but to get hired they want to see that you can work most evenings and weekends (especially if you're a student)

3. References -- Make sure you have these or you wont get hired, it's part of there hiring process and pretty much will solidify your hire.

Dont be shy! just be yourself and you'll do fine.

No worries, I'm shy a bit myself but you just gotta be comfortable talking to people you've never met and will possibly never meet again unless they get hired as well. It's not that hard once you do it constantly on a daily basis.

Archived