Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

(proposal) CANUCKS-BLUEJACKETS & CANUCKS-SABERS

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: (proposal) CANUCKS-BLUEJACKETS & CANUCKS-SABERS (20 member(s) have cast votes)

I would do be happy if Gillis made these moves

1. yes (3 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

2. no (16 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

3. undecided (1 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 shawn antoski

shawn antoski

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

No Luongo Trade for now

UFA --Jason Arnott

SABERS ..................................CANUCKS
F--Raymond ............................D--Andrej Sekera
D--Sauve..................................

Columbus..................................Canucks
D--Ballard,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,D--Aucoin
6th round pick...........................

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / --------Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / ----------Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / --------Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) /----------- Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Chris Higgins ($1.900m) /------- Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) /-------- Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) /---- Jordan Schroeder ($1.025m) /---- Jason Arnott ($2.875m)

-Dale Weise ($0.615m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / ---------Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / ------------Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Andrej Sekera ($2.750m) /----------- Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

-Adrian Aucoin ($2.250m) / ------------Andrew Alberts ($1.225m)

GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m)
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,993,333; BONUSES: $375,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,581,667

Line 1- no explanation needed
Line 2 - give Kassian a shot at top 6 minutes
Line 3 - played really good together last season
Line 4 - Schroeder is surrounded be perfect influences, Arnott is able to play all 4 lines (injuries)

DP-1- offensive threat
DP-2- Shut down pairing
DP-3- young Dpair
Dp-4- 2 veterans that can slot in with no problems (Connauton still on farm)

Edited by shawn antoski, 06 November 2012 - 10:41 AM.

#2 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,850 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

you'd trade for Aucoin and his 2.25 mil cap just to sit on the bench?

#3 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,506 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

Yup, Sekera and Aucoin add up to Ballard's salary and then some. We might as well keep the assets we move to get two guys that will be doing the same job as the one we already have and then use one of our upcomming players to fill the 7/8th role. I'd rather move those assets to get better picks in this upcoming draft.

Then he signs Arnott but puts him on the 4th line wing?

So, my answer is no, I wouldn't do be happy if Gillis made these moves.

Edited by elvis15, 06 November 2012 - 11:35 AM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#4 shawn antoski

shawn antoski

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

yep
-its better then having ballards 4.2 million on the bench
-aucoin is an UFA after season end = good way of getting rid of ballards bad contract
-aucoin with his age would benefit from playing a shortened season ie. sami salo maintanace days
-the canucks need depth on defense , they always have freak injuries on D (bieska ballard salo hamuis edler all have had significant time off due to injuries the last couple of years )

#5 shawn antoski

shawn antoski

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

Yup, Sekera and Aucoin add up to Ballard's salary and then some. We might as well keep the assets we move to get two guys that will be doing the same job as the one we already have and then use one of our upcomming players to fill the 7/8th role. I'd rather move those assets to get better picks in this upcoming draft.

Then he trades for Arnott but puts him on the 4th line wing?

So, my answer is no, I wouldn't do be happy if Gillis made these moves.

i didnt trade for arnott he is a UFA.
does line 4 look like your typical 4th line.... NO its more like a 3B line..Gillis has stated before that he wants to be able to rotate all 4 lines and plus injuries happen all year long Arnott is your player that fills in. plus he has the size and grit the canucks are lacking

and im not sure what your trying to say in ur first statement

#6 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,386 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

Why would Columbus sign Aucoin then trade him before a game is played?

He was brought in to 'mentor' Moore, Murray, and Erixon
Posted Image

#7 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,506 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

Those are just moves to make moves that don't really improve us.

If we have to get rid of Ballards contract, we can do it for something other than a player who's ready to retire. He's not such a liability to us that we need to dump him for a pending UFA and include a low pick to sweeten the deal. It's hard to follow your logic when you end your explanation saying we need depth on defence in case of injuries.

The reason for the Arnott rumours is because we're looking at someone who would be able to fill in for Kesler while injured and also play in our 3rd line center role after that. If the Canucks feel Lappy can step into the 3rd line center role, then why bother with Arnott? We can just use Ebbett and Schroeder to fill in for Kesler during his injury and then have cheaper options like Weise, Volpatti and Pinizzotto bringing energy to the 4th line. No need to pay $2.875M for Arnott to fill in on our 4th line (sorry, 3b) when you're already talking about having to dump Ballard's $4.2M.

I just don't see it.

Edited by elvis15, 06 November 2012 - 11:49 AM.

#8 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,149 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

Buffalo doesn't make that trade. Sekera is severely underrated and a necessary part of the Sabres D.

#9 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,230 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

I like the Arnott signing, just not at that price; I don't think that long-unsigned UFA's like him would still be able to demand so much, esp. for a 4th line role.

Columbus won't take Ballard, their D-group is very strong already.

For the Buffalo deal, I hope they would try to get McNabb instead of Sekera, even if his price is higher; Brayden's got size and meanness but also plays pretty well and I think that's the complement Tanev needs, an offensive guy with skill and meanness. (Nothing against Sekera, he's actually pretty decent but this team has enough "smaller" guys (NOT small but around 6') who are good at puck movement but lack a big, skilled D who is mean).

Edited by g@m3b0i, 06 November 2012 - 12:02 PM.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#10 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,174 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

So basically you want to replace Ballard with Sekera, and get rid of Raymond for nothing. And on top of that get rid of Sauve and a 6th for a 7th D.

Don't see how this helps us...

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#11 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

First thing I noticed too.

And I doubt Buffalo would take Raymond/Sauve for Sekera...they really like him in Buffaloville.

/=S=/

#12 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,342 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

Buffalo says no and no thanks to the Ballard/Aucoin deal

zackass.png

#13 shawn antoski

shawn antoski

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

So basically you want to replace Ballard with Sekera, and get rid of Raymond for nothing. And on top of that get rid of Sauve and a 6th for a 7th D.

Don't see how this helps us...

Sekera + arnott + aucoin > Ballard+sauve+raymond

#14 shawn antoski

shawn antoski

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

Those are just moves to make moves that don't really improve us.

If we have to get rid of Ballards contract, we can do it for something other than a player who's ready to retire. He's not such a liability to us that we need to dump him for a pending UFA and include a low pick to sweeten the deal. It's hard to follow your logic when you end your explanation saying we need depth on defence in case of injuries.

The reason for the Arnott rumours is because we're looking at someone who would be able to fill in for Kesler while injured and also play in our 3rd line center role after that. If the Canucks feel Lappy can step into the 3rd line center role, then why bother with Arnott? We can just use Ebbett and Schroeder to fill in for Kesler during his injury and then have cheaper options like Weise, Volpatti and Pinizzotto bringing energy to the 4th line. No need to pay $2.875M for Arnott to fill in on our 4th line (sorry, 3b) when you're already talking about having to dump Ballard's $4.2M.

I just don't see it.

Those are just moves to make moves that don't really improve us. --- Sekera + arnott + aucoin > Ballard+sauve+raymond

No need to pay $2.875M for Arnott to fill in on our 4th line (sorry, 3b ----I think arnott can line up on any line , I have him on the 4th line because come playoff time if we have a full healthy roster i wouldnt mind him and manny on the 4th line mentoring schroeder

cheaper options like Weise, Volpatti and Pinizzotto --- I'd rather have arnott on my 4th line anyday

Edited by shawn antoski, 07 November 2012 - 11:51 AM.

#15 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,506 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

Those are just moves to make moves that don't really improve us. --- Sekera + arnott + aucoin > Ballard+sauve+raymond

No need to pay $2.875M for Arnott to fill in on our 4th line (sorry, 3b ----I think arnott can line up on any line , I have him on the 4th line because come playoff time if we have a full healthy roster i wouldnt mind him and manny on the 4th line mentoring schroeder

cheaper options like Weise, Volpatti and Pinizzotto --- I'd rather have arnott on my 4th line anyday

Considering Sekera's the only guy not close to retirement in your return, more years of Ballard, Raymond and Sauve are better than the limited years Arnott and Aucoin would play. Sekera doesn't make up the difference.

As far as Arnott, you immediately placed him on the 4th line in your proposal, so if you thought he'd be the 3rd line center for the most part, you would have put him there. If he's there to mentor someone or just because you think he's better than any of the three 4th liners I listed, then it's not a good use of cap space to pay him $2.875M. If he want's to come here for at least a million less, then it's something to look at.

#16 shawn antoski

shawn antoski

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

Considering Sekera's the only guy not close to retirement in your return, more years of Ballard, Raymond and Sauve are better than the limited years Arnott and Aucoin would play. Sekera doesn't make up the difference.

As far as Arnott, you immediately placed him on the 4th line in your proposal, so if you thought he'd be the 3rd line center for the most part, you would have put him there. If he's there to mentor someone or just because you think he's better than any of the three 4th liners I listed, then it's not a good use of cap space to pay him $2.875M. If he want's to come here for at least a million less, then it's something to look at.

we all know the salary cap is supposed to come down, getting Ballard and Raymond (UFA anyways) off the books would be plus for Gillis . Next years UFA crop is going to be one of the best ever so its not a big deal to loose Arnott and Aucoin, its all about cap space. Gillis does need to give a raise to Edler, Lapierre , Higgins, Tanev and maybe even Schroeder

Arnott is more of a utility player forward, he can play any role. The reason I have him on the 4th line is because I hope Kassian makes the 2nd line and I like Lappy Higgy and Hansen together. I think this is a very strong bottom six if the team stays healthy come playoff time AV can play all 4 lines with confidence

#17 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,506 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

we all know the salary cap is supposed to come down, getting Ballard and Raymond (UFA anyways) off the books would be plus for Gillis . Next years UFA crop is going to be one of the best ever so its not a big deal to loose Arnott and Aucoin, its all about cap space. Gillis does need to give a raise to Edler, Lapierre , Higgins, Tanev and maybe even Schroeder

Arnott is more of a utility player forward, he can play any role. The reason I have him on the 4th line is because I hope Kassian makes the 2nd line and I like Lappy Higgy and Hansen together. I think this is a very strong bottom six if the team stays healthy come playoff time AV can play all 4 lines with confidence

We don't fix cap issues though by bringing in as much as we send out. That doesn't make it ok just because we can 'afford' to lose those guys for nothing so we can go after more expensive UFAs. Why not just hang onto those players then move them to upgrade our draft picks like I mentioned in my first post and then go after UFAs if we feel we really want to do that? At least that way we'd have something to show for the players we moved out.

#18 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,174 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

Sekera + arnott + aucoin > Ballard+sauve+raymond

We don't need to make those trades to get Arnott.

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#19 shawn antoski

shawn antoski

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

We don't fix cap issues though by bringing in as much as we send out. That doesn't make it ok just because we can 'afford' to lose those guys for nothing so we can go after more expensive UFAs. Why not just hang onto those players then move them to upgrade our draft picks like I mentioned in my first post and then go after UFAs if we feel we really want to do that? At least that way we'd have something to show for the players we moved out.

oh i see you want more draft picks and rookies for the future, well I guess we are never going to agree because I think we need more experienced skilled players to bring us a cup

Im not worried about stock pileing up draft picks, the canucks window to win is now, 41 years is long enough

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.