The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Washington voters approved legalized marijuana

Grapefruits

However, second hand marijuana smoke doesn't give you cancer.

Why should public display of marijuana use be illegal? To set an example to your children?

Some people have a sensitivity to smoke. And, the Cancer Society suggests maybe you're wrong:

Marijuana users and people exposed to second-hand marijuana smoke may have many of the same health problems as people exposed to cigarette smoke, including an increased risk of cancer.

I'm not really worried either way...doesn't bother me if others want to indulge but, as I no longer do, don't really want my clothes, hair, etc. smelling of it. I'd say applying the same standard as liquor (not in public, although people still would/do), while driving, etc. is likely appropriate.

And there's no such thing as 2nd hand liquor.

I don't know, but why is public alcohol use illegal? That's the reason why Marijuana use in public would be illegal.

Really, there will be a large spike of businesses like the vapour lounge (except now selling Marijuana) in any place that legalized Marijuana, so it won't really be an issue not being able to smoke it in public.

In the US the federal Controlled Substances Act prohibits the production, sale, and possession of marijuana and the US Supreme Court has been clear - federal law trumps state law in regards to marijuana. The federal government clamped down on medical marijuana and that move was upheld by the US federal courts.

It has been suggested that the federal government will seek an injunction preventing the law from going into effect. It could also seize any tax revenue generated for the Washington state coffers.

Passing Initiative 502 (http://www.newapproa...bout-initiative ) may not in reality mean that much will have changed. While the initiative allows for marijuana possession beginning on December 6, the measure gives the state until December 1 of 2013 to set up rules for licensing, growing and distribution. Lots of time for a federal response.

A month before the 2010 election in California where legalization was before the voters, US Attorney General Eric Holder vowed to "vigorously enforce" federal marijuana laws and warned that the government would not look the other way and allow a state marijuana market to emerge. California's Proposition 19 was narrowly defeated in 2010.

BTW it looks as if Colorado's voters have approved a similar measure.

It's going to be handled exactly like alcohol (21 to buy/use) sold and taxed in special stores, etc, so I can see the "not in public" and public intoxication/while driving to be outlawed as well.

Anyways, I helped pass this into law by voting for it, so you are all welcome.

Next up:  Crystal Meth.

'No wai.'

'Yeah?  Well that's what they said about pot.'

When it comes to sin taxes, Where do you draw the line?  Prostitution?  Underground gambling including dog fights etc.? Happy pills? Crack cocaine? Whatever.

Certainly gangsters don't want to lose all these markets to the government, but if pot is legalized, where are these guys going to turn for their profits?  Likely harder drugs. Like crystal meth.

In the end, it's a person's choice. You're probably not going to switch from weed to crystal meth. But your kids might be pushed into it a bit harder down the road. We'll see.

I was however sad to see how easily this passed in comparison to gay and lesbian right to marry.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed

Smoking marijuana can cause cancer.

Smoking cigarettes can cause cancer.

Chewing tobacco can cause cancer.

Going outside can cause cancer.

Smoking pole can cause cancer.

Almost anything can cause cancer.

As far as marijuana is concerned, less chances of cancer from consuming it using other methods besides smoking it.

As far as legality is concerned, it should be legalised and un-taxed. Clueless as to this tax fetish. Laws regulating it's use in public? Yes. Tax it? No.

Sounds good on the surface, however I am a little skeptical about how they are going to enforce the driving under the influence laws included. The article says that there will be a blood limit determined by a blood test, however marijuana stays in the systems for weeks or even more than a month depending on the person and amount consumed.

A positive blood test does not prove intoxication, but only that the person had consumed marijuana recently. I can see situations where heavy regular users are charged for driving under the influence, despite being sober, only because of the high levels that remain in their system.

I think the line is obvious. Well pot is pretty harsh on the lungs and can effect the brian long term, it's effects are a hell of lot closer to ciggerattes or booze then Meth. Now that pot is legal law enforcement officers can use the time spent chasing down small grow ops and instead focus on hard drug labs and dealers.

Sounds good on the surface, however I am a little skeptical about how they are going to enforce the driving under the influence laws included. The article says that there will be a blood limit determined by a blood test, however marijuana stays in the systems for weeks or even more than a month depending on the person and amount consumed.

A positive blood test does not prove intoxication, but only that the person had consumed marijuana recently. I can see situations where heavy regular users are charged for driving under the influence, despite being sober, only because of the high levels that remain in their system.

Archived