The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(proposal)Van-Det, Van-Tor

i have a few trades that i have been wondering about if they are fair or not. i am on the fence about all of them i think the values are quite fair but second opinions are good.

**all trades are bearing there is still a season and the 2013 season can be salvaged up to 66 games

Trade #1: Van-Det

*if Edler is asking for more than what we can offer him. Gillis offers d-men 4.6mill at most but Edler can get 6mill in Free Agency so if he wants 6mill we should trade him.

Vancouver trades D Alex Edler, conditional 2013 1st round draft pick(if Edler re-signes with Det its a 3rd if not it turns into a 1st)

to Detroit for RW Tomas Jurco, C Darren Helm, 2013 2nd round draft pick

Detroit needs a good offensive defenseman that can replace Lidstrom. obviously Edler is no Lidstrom but he can fill that hole and make up for some of the loss of him retiring, the conditional 1st rounder gives them insurance if Edler doesn't resign with them.

we do this deal because

1. Jurco is a highly skilled forward who is projected to be a goal scoring top 6 winger. hes like a better version of Rodin.

2. Helm is a good young centerman that can be our new 3rd line center and he can also play the wings if needed.

3. the 2013 draft class is supposedly a very deep one so an additional 2nd rounder is always good, and if we loose our 1st rounder because Edler doesn't re-sign with them we have 2 2nd rounders.

Trade #2: Van-Tor

Vancouver trades G Roberto Luongo, D Andrew Alberts and a 2013 3rd round draft pick(FLA)

to Toronto for D Cody Franson(RFA),D Mike Komisarek, RW Carter Ashton, and a conditional 2014 1st round draft pick(if the leafs make the playoffs its a 2014 1st if not its a 2013 2nd)

Toronto needs an elite tender and to make the playoffs. if Burke doesnt make the playoffs hes fired and he wont just let that happen like so many leaf fans think. hes a business man first and a fan second. not getting Luongo and failing the season might be the best option but Burke wont do that because he would have to sacrifice his job. therefore they give up a good prospects, a good big young d-man, a big d-man who is essentially a cap dump and a conditional 1st rounder. Alberts can replace the loss of Franson until they find someone else and Luongo carries them to the playoffs. and i guarantee Luongo gets them to the playoffs. this works out cap wise too.

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Mason Raymond ($2.275m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Chris Higgins ($1.900m)

Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Andrew Ebbett ($0.600m) / Dale Weise ($0.615m)

DEFENSEMEN

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Jason Garrison ($4.600m) / Keith Ballard ($4.200m)

Chris Tanev ($0.900m) / Cody Franson ($1.500m)

Mike Komisarek ($4.500m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Eddie Lack ($0.750m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,235,000; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,965,000

Sign D Cody Franson 2 years 3mill @ 1.5mill per

Roster notes

-I think Kassian deserves a shot at the top 6. he has been the Wolves best forward and i think with the confidence he has built it would be detrimental to put him back on the 4th line.

-if Kassian doesnt work on the 2nd line, Higgins, Raymond or Hansen could replace him. we have a lot of depth on forward.

-Ballard has been a disappointment since coming here but playing him in a top 4 role could get him back to how he was pre-vancouver days. if not Franson is capable of playing top 4 offensive defense man role

-Our Defense has taken a step back with the loss of Edler but not by much. and defense was never our problem in the playoffs it was health and lack of scoring.

-our defense gets a lot bigger and intimidating with the additions of Komisarek and Franson

-if Komisarek can get back to his pre-Toronto days than we are good to go. he is also a good leader and teammate plus his contract expires after this season and if its a shortened season its even more bearable

-we free up quite a bit of cap space and that leaves us with the ability to resign guys like Higgins, Lapierre, the Sedins and more.

Thoughts?

I don't know...Jurco? That guy just seems like another Linus Omark-type. Awesome in the shootout, but innefective once an NHL defenseman is on him.

If we're going to trade Edler for a package based around a young forward, the trading partner that makes the most sense is Philly.

Trade #1: Van-Det

*if Edler is asking for more than what we can offer him. Gillis offers d-men 4.6mill at most but Edler can get 6mill in Free Agency so if he wants 6mill we should trade him.

Vancouver trades D Alex Edler, conditional 2013 1st round draft pick(if Edler re-signes with Det its a 3rd if not it turns into a 1st)

to Detroit for RW Tomas Jurco, C Darren Helm, 2013 2nd round draft pick

we do this deal because

1. Jurco is a highly skilled forward who is projected to be a goal scoring top 6 winger. hes like a better version of Rodin.

2. Helm is a good young centerman that can be our new 3rd line center and he can also play the wings if needed.

3. the 2013 draft class is supposedly a very deep one so an additional 2nd rounder is always good, and if we loose our 1st rounder because Edler doesn't re-sign with them we have 2 2nd rounders.

Trade #2: Van-Tor

Vancouver trades G Roberto Luongo, D Andrew Alberts and a 2013 3rd round draft pick(FLA)

to Toronto for D Cody Franson(RFA),D Mike Komisarek, RW Carter Ashton, and a conditional 2014 1st round draft pick(if the leafs make the playoffs its a 2014 1st if not its a 2013 2nd)

We give up too much in the DET trade. Jurco might be a decent top-6 player, but not for a few years, and hes far from a sure thing. I love Helm, but he's just a 3rd liner. I wouldn't trade Edler alone for those 2.

I could deal with the Toronto trade, but only if we could find a way to trade either Komisarek or Ballard before the start of the 2013 season, which is unlikely.

Archived