The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks MIGHT retire Pavel Bure's #10

hockeyville88

The guy is a Hall of Famer and the most skilled and electrifying player the Canucks have ever had. That's tough to admit given I'm a huge Naslund fan. Plus, he played here for 7 seasons. If that isn't worthy of jersey retirement, what is?

Without the significance of a Stanley Cup, I see 10 seasons as a starting point. In addition to 10 seasons there has to be other significant factors. That's my opinion. Btw, saying Bure "played" 7 seasons here is a little deceiving. One was a half season due to lockout and another he only played 16 games. He was a Canuck for 7 years though. Saying he played only 400 games is more deceiving

I said this before, nobody is questioning his talent. Had they won the cup in '94, it would make up for the lack of games played here. But I don't see 428 games as above and beyond service to the franchise. Thus there needs to something of great significance to offset that. Isn't that what retiring a number is about...above and beyond service to the franchise? As I've stated, Luongo has more chokes on his resume as a Canuck than anyonedoes.

7 seasons from our best superstar and a trip to the finals fueled by him.

vs.

10+ seasons from one of our captains and just one playoff round victory in all those years.

Um, i'm taking Option A please.

If Bure was healthy for all those 7 seasons, that's 574 regular season games played as a Canuck. That's more than Brendan Morrison, Tony Tanti, Todd Bertuzzi, Kirk McLean, and Greg Adams, all of whom are known mainly as Canucks.

You'll find that greatness in general, combined with accomplishments, not games played alone, is the main determining factor when it comes to honouring players. That is why people argue that Bobby Orr, not Wayne Gretzky, is the best player of all time, even though Gretzky played almost 1,000 more games than Bobby Orr. You'll find that, just like in Naslund's and Bure's cases, both players are worth honouring in a similar fashion.

So much has been made about twins/nazzy's so called charitable donations. Is anyone here saying that you can buy your way to the rafters even if your on ice contributions are mediocre but signifigant?

I think its worth taking a closer look at the supposed charitable donations if they are going to be given that much weight.

I've seen the number 5 mil$ bandied about so we'll use that for convenience sake.

If a player (or anyone else) donates 5mil to charity, they get a tax receipt for 5 mil. Correct me if I am wrong but this basically means they pay NO TAXES on the 5 mil. Someone who can donate 5mil is surely in the highest tax bracket, so, assuming a 50% tax rate, the 5 mil becomes a donation of approx 2.5mil.

"Where does the other 2.5mil come from then?", you might ask.

Well, basically, it comes from the taxpayers of BC, who have donated to the players charity, not by choice, but through the players total legal and legitimate tax evasion.

What I am saying then, is that if the number is 5mil and it is split between the twins, then in reality, the number becomes 1.25 mil from each sedin and 2.5 mil from the taxpayers. What is the price to get to the rafters again?

I'm not trying to take anything away from anyone's charitable donation but if we are going to give the donation that much credit, in terms of so called community service, we need to look at it from the perspective called "reality". DB, you might figure all this out if you ever become gainfully employed.

Hall of Fame has nothing to do with it. That's about a players entire hockey career. Number retirement is about service to a franchise.

Without the significance of a Stanley Cup, I see 10 seasons as a starting point. In addition to 10 seasons there has to be other significant factors. That's my opinion. Btw, saying Bure "played" 7 seasons here is a little deceiving. One was a half season due to lockout and another he only played 16 games. He was a Canuck for 7 years though.

I said this before, nobody is questioning his talent. Had they won the cup in '94, it would make up for the lack of games played here. But I don't see 428 games as above and beyond service to the franchise. Thus there needs to something of great significance to offset that. Isn't that what retiring a number is about...above and beyond service to the franchise? As I've stated, Luongo has more on his resume as a Canuck than Bure does. The two most significant factors to me are length of service and cup wins. Bure has neither. Which in my mind does lower the bar.

I would like to also add that the classless Canuck organization can thank Pavel Bure, directly and personally,for the thousands of dollars I have shelled out over the years, for all things canuck black and yellow, blue and green.

How much honour does $10,000 buy?

I don't even live within 500kms of Vancouver.

I can't be the only one.

Archived