The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks MIGHT retire Pavel Bure's #10

hockeyville88

Snepsts? M'kay...

Dodging the point doesn't invalidate it. Since we haven't won a cup at all, Bure not winning one shouldn't count against him when comparing to Naslund. Note that before Naslund's jersey retirement, it was playoff success, such as it was, that determined who got their jersey hung up in this town. Now that Naslund's is up as well, it would seem that the requirements have changed. ie. The requirements aren't set in stone.

Knowing that the requirements are flexible, there is certainly room for both Naslund's and Bure's jerseys.

-Meanwhile, your 'much much longer' equates to just four seasons. Four more seasons for Nazzy as a Canuck. That's it? That's hardly significant.

-Naslund as 'captain' didn't lead this team to anything but one playoff round victory and probably the most humiliating 2nd round loss in team history. You're right. That's significant. Meanwhile, Bure scored the most famous and clutch goal in team history en route to our greatest, most unexpected 'heart-filled' run in team history. Gee, that sounds significant too, although... Kinda better, y'think? (Roberto was Captain. Messier was Captain. The Captain card doesn't get you far here, i'm afraid. Esp. one with almost zero playoff success.)

-Funny how Naslund's winning of a Pearson is significant, but Bure's HOF nod doesn't apply here. Hmmm... I think the second one is a bit more significant, don't you agree?

-Naslund owns Canuck records for all-time goals, all-time points, and all-time powerplay goals. That's three Canuck records.

-Bure owns Canuck records for all-time shorthanded goals, most goals by a rookie, most points by a rookie, most goals in a season, all-time playoff goals, most points in a playoff run and most goals in a playoff run. That's seven Canuck records. Bure seems to have a bigger boatload of team records, y'think?

-Bure scored 60 goals two seasons in a row and has five 50+ goal season, including ones in the dead puck era. Naslund's peak was 48, thanks to the Bertuzzi pushoff play with the man advantage.

-Bure scored more points (107,110) in a season twice than Naslund's peak (104)

-Bure's best +/- is +35 (one off from team record). Naslund's is +22.

The list goes on the more you actually look into it, bud. Yet you think i'm the one with the blinders on? Okay, Harold.

The only reason Naslund's was retired before Bure's was because it was more difficult to patch things up with Bure. Naslund was actually surprised when they retired his jersey and so were a lot of fans, but now that it's done, Bure's will likely go up soon. Esp. after the hall of fame nod, which, really, wasn't surprising at all because it's well-deserved. Just like his jersey retirement here in Vancouver.

One playoffs series...no. But actually winning a cup can certainly be a factor in retiring a number. A factor that could make up for other factors that are missing. Such as number of games played.

Not to mention Larionov was also on the panel. Maybe they just didn't want to listen to another summer of Valerie crying. :lol:

If games played is the only thing going for Nazzy over Bure, then that is not significant. Esp. when it's only 4 more seasons. And esp. when Bure accomplished more in a shorter span.

Your definition of what significant is flawed in many aspects. 4 more seasons isn't significant. One playoff round won isn't significant. Fewer team records isn't significant. Being captain of an underacheiving team isn't significant. Temporarily leading in all-time points and goals until the Sedins catch him isn't significant.

Just wondering what is really all that significant about Nazzy that his jersey should be retired and Bure's should not?

Oh right. You got nothing.

The thing is, everyone, probably including you, knows that the Naslund jersey retirement opened the door wide for Bure's.

What's sad is that people, including me, have to stoop to a level of disrespecting Nazzy in order to make their point when in fact both he and Bure are tremendous players who have done more than enough for this franchise to be honoured with a jersey retirement alongside Linden and Smyl.

I'll refocus my Nazzy-related points now to say that while his accomplishments here were of course significant, Bure's are just as significant, if not moreso.

For this reason, both of their jerseys are deserving of retirement.

A good bunch of arguments each way but for me it is pretty simple. Naslund is up there for on ice and off ice work which he was heavily involved with. Now a lot of that community work comes with being promoted to Captain... and Bure would have never been Captain in his time here even if Linden wasn't here. Too selfish and self centered which doesn't work for team Captaincy.

I have been in a fishing boat with one of the players from that era a few times and one thing (of a bunch) mentioned that Pavel rarely showed up even on required community service functions that was/is in their contracts. This caused a huge firestorm with upper management and some of his teamates were not too fond of his actions either. But Quinn and Pavel were friends and he let it slide all the time but everyone else was hopping mad.

So then all these management types get fired and replaced as new ownership comes in...after a couple years Pavel sits out and demands a trade. There was no one left of all the management that 'screwed' him over as people think,

None of this behavior seems to point in the direction of a jersey retirement... we all know he was fast and exciting, is that why we retire numbers?

If games played is the only thing going for Nazzy over Bure, then that is not significant. Esp. when it's only 4 more seasons. And esp. when Bure accomplished more in a shorter span.

Your definition of what significant is flawed in many aspects. 4 more seasons isn't significant. One playoff round won isn't significant. Fewer team records isn't significant. Being captain of an underacheiving team isn't significant. Temporarily leading in all-time points and goals until the Sedins catch him isn't significant.

Just wondering what is really all that significant about Nazzy that his jersey should be retired and Bure's should not?

Oh right. You got nothing.

The thing is, everyone, probably including you, knows that the Naslund jersey retirement opened the door wide for Bure's.

Your method of determining relative significance is flawed.

Your games difference looks significant, granted, but the reason is of course related to Bure's injuries. The reality is that there is a 4-season difference between the players' time here. Ie. not enough to be called a significant enough reason to deny Bure's jersey retirement.

Bure was our teams' leading scorer for the 90's.

Naslund was our teams' leading scorer for the 00's.

The Sedins are our leading scorers for the 10's.

You'll find that these contributions to the franchise are all equally significant, and therefore all are equally qualified for a jersey retirement.

Games, schlames. Bure played 64 playoff games compared to Naslund's 45. More important or less important to the franchise? Hint: It's more.

As for Luongo, until recently his jersey retirement here seemed automatic. Perhaps he's just going through what Naslund went through during his last seasons for us. 'What have you done for us lately?'

Actual acheivements will be awarded appropiately nonetheless.

884 games versus 428 games is quite a significant difference. Naslund was Captain here for more games than Bure played. That is also a very significant difference.

The difference between us is I don't see 428 games as a signififcant enough contribution to the franchise and there isn't anything significant enough to make up for the lack of games. Luongo has played 386 games here and he's a goalie. The way I see it, if we retire Bure's number here we'll also have to retire Luongo's.

Your method of determining relative significance is flawed.

Your games difference looks significant, granted, but the reason is of course related to Bure's injuries. The reality is that there is a 4-season difference between the players' time here. Ie. not enough to be called a significant enough reason to deny Bure's jersey retirement.

Bure was our teams' leading scorer for the 90's.

Naslund was our teams' leading scorer for the 00's.

The Sedins are our leading scorers for the 10's.

You'll find that these contributions to the franchise are all equally significant, and therefore all are equally qualified for a jersey retirement.

Games, schlames. Bure played 64 playoff games compared to Naslund's 45. More important or less important to the franchise? Hint: It's more.

As for Luongo, until recently his jersey retirement here seemed automatic. Perhaps he's just going through what Naslund went through during his last seasons for us. 'What have you done for us lately?'

Actual acheivements will be awarded appropiately nonetheless.

So this has progressed from 'Bure needs a cup to get his jersey retired' to 'Bure needs to be dead to get his jersey retired.'

At this rate he will be dead before you see the light.

Even with those injuries, Bure was still the best Canuck for a decade. He's also the franchise's leading playoff performer. He's also in the HHoF. You can call that pretty significant. Just as significant as Naslund's acheivements that he took more time to accomplish.

So this has progressed from 'Bure needs a cup to get his jersey retired' to 'Bure needs to be dead to get his jersey retired.'

At this rate he will be dead before you see the light.

Even with those injuries, Bure was still the best Canuck for a decade. He's also the franchise's leading playoff performer. He's also in the HHoF. You can call that pretty significant. Just as significant as Naslund's acheivements that he took more time to accomplish.

One playoff series would be the difference for someone like Bure, or Snepsts, or which ever other Canucks you were using as an example. Cups are team accomplishments, so I don't think cups should be a factor at all.

And I didn't even know Larionov was a part of it too. Whoever picked him and Quinn must of really wanted Bure in the HOF... or didn't want to hurt Valeri's feelings again :lol:

I think you're looking at the numbers too much, Baggins. I believe that a candidate is worthy of their jersey retirement based on the impact they had on a team, whatever that may have been. Bure had a significant impact on this team/city, in that he brought a new level of excitement to the game. Anyone who remembers watching him play realizes that he was like no other in how he made you hold your breath every time he was on the ice. Kids idolized him and everyone wanted his jersey/autograph, etc. There was a reason for that and, to this day, people who watched him still hold onto the excitement of that. It was something different.

I don't think there has to be a comparison to others because, quite frankly, I think each consideration for jersey retirement can be based on different reasoning - with the conclusion being the same in that this person can be forever identified with their number.

I think you're looking at the numbers too much, Baggins. I believe that a candidate is worthy of their jersey retirement based on the impact they had on a team, whatever that may have been. Bure had a significant impact on this team/city, in that he brought a new level of excitement to the game. Anyone who remembers watching him play realizes that he was like no other in how he made you hold your breath every time he was on the ice. Kids idolized him and everyone wanted his jersey/autograph, etc. There was a reason for that and, to this day, people who watched him still hold onto the excitement of that. It was something different.

I don't think there has to be a comparison to others because, quite frankly, I think each consideration for jersey retirement can be based on different reasoning - with the conclusion being the same in that this person can be forever identified with their number.

Hes spanking the numbers to frame the argument the way he wants.

For every .......Naslund has 880 games to 475 or whatever,.........Bure has two sixty goal seasons and another 50 goal season and Naslund has , well, none of it.

For every Rookie of the Year award at age 21 bure got, well naslund got dry crap wasnt even a regular in the NHL . For every captaincy Naslund got by default because Linden traded Messier took off.................. Bure was alternate under LInden and Messier.

For every 104 point season Naslund choked his way to, Bure got 110 . For every division title Naslund choked, Bure scored arguably the greatest OT goal in canucks history.

And for every hart trophy Naslund somehow fumbled on the final day, he was given the consolation Pearson. Bure didnt get that but i argue it was an embarrassment.

For every time Naslund got clocked by Steve Moore, Bure clocked Shane Churla.

Every time Naslund choked his way out of yet another playoff year, Bure continues to answer questions about game 7 at Madison Square Garden , considered by many to be one of the most entertaining finals since expansion.

So, let Baggins SPIN his selected numbers that he only pulls out when he thinks he can win a stupid internet argument .

Im sure Naslund is 'choking' back the tears watching Bure get elected to the hall of fame. Naslund can always come see the place as a visitor.

When retiring a number I'm sure the committee look at the players off the ice as well as on the ice, I mean if you didn't know who Linden was and looked at his stats you wouldn't be overly impressed (although they are not bad at all). Linden was huge off the ice and i'm sure that is a big reason his number was retired, I'm also sure Naslund was a great guy off the ice too, why else would he have been named captain.

I would rather a better off-ice guy than an on-ice guy as it just makes the team classier, I mean would you rather a team of Linden's or a team of Crosby's, Ovechkins, etc. I would choose Linden any day because of his class.

When retiring a number I'm sure the committee look at the players off the ice as well as on the ice, I mean if you didn't know who Linden was and looked at his stats you wouldn't be overly impressed (although they are not bad at all). Linden was huge off the ice and i'm sure that is a big reason his number was retired, I'm also sure Naslund was a great guy off the ice too, why else would he have been named captain.

I would rather a better off-ice guy than an on-ice guy as it just makes the team classier, I mean would you rather a team of Linden's or a team of Crosby's, Ovechkins, etc. I would choose Linden any day because of his class.

Archived