The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks MIGHT retire Pavel Bure's #10

hockeyville88

Let's try again. Naslund's jersey is retired. Bure's is not. Yet. The bar before Naslund's jersey retirement was playoff success. ie. For this team, that would be making it to the finals.

So... Point to Naslund's playoff success, please. What is it? Canuck all-time playoff goals and points? Oh right, Bure owns those records.

No really... We get it, Baggins. You think season games played matters a lot. And it does, but before Naslund's jersey retirement, season records wasn't the bar used by the Canucks. Playoff success was. ie. We 'lowered the bar' with Naslund's jersey retirement.

Needless to say, the bar is adjustable. I think the Canucks will raise it again with a Bure jersey retirement.

The selection committee has a majority of Bure-lovers, Francesco wants his jersey retired, the fans want it, and it makes a lot of sense, esp. after the Naslund jersey retirement. So I think it's going to happen.

Let's try again. Naslund's jersey is retired. Bure's is not. Yet. The bar before Naslund's jersey retirement was playoff success. ie. For this team, that would be making it to the finals.

So... Point to Naslund's playoff success, please. What is it? Canuck all-time playoff goals and points? Oh right, Bure owns those records.

No really... We get it, Baggins. You think season games played matters a lot. And it does, but before Naslund's jersey retirement, season records wasn't the bar used by the Canucks. Playoff success was. ie. We 'lowered the bar' with Naslund's jersey retirement.

Needless to say, the bar is adjustable. I think the Canucks will raise it again with a Bure jersey retirement.

The selection committee has a majority of Bure-lovers, Francesco wants his jersey retired, the fans want it, and it makes a lot of sense, esp. after the Naslund jersey retirement. So I think it's going to happen.

You're failing to recognize the main point. In that the bar is adjustable.

Naslund's jersey is retired. Bure's is not. Yet. The bar before Naslund's jersey retirement was playoff success. ie. For this team, that would be making it to the finals. Once Naslund's was retired, then playoff success was deemed not needed to have a jersey retired.

The adjustable bar means Bure, with all his Canuck accomplishments and records, combined with his superior playoff success, is also jersey retirement-worthy.

You're basically really slow in coming around to accepting this reality. The rest of us figured out that a Bure jersey retirement was possible the instant Naslund's was announced.

This reality combined with Aquilini and the majority of people in charge of these decisions being huge Bure fans pretty much point to a Canuck Bure jersey retirement.

PS. Lol at playoff success, ie. making it to the finals for us, not being important at all for Canuck fans. We had two riots for it!

You're failing to recognize the main point. In that the bar is adjustable.

Naslund's jersey is retired. Bure's is not. Yet. The bar before Naslund's jersey retirement was playoff success. ie. For this team, that would be making it to the finals. Once Naslund's was retired, then playoff success was deemed not needed to have a jersey retired.

The adjustable bar means Bure, with all his Canuck accomplishments and records, combined with his superior playoff success, is also jersey retirement-worthy.

You're basically really slow in coming around to accepting this reality. The rest of us figured out that a Bure jersey retirement was possible the instant Naslund's was announced.

This reality combined with Aquilini and the majority of people in charge of these decisions being huge Bure fans pretty much point to a Canuck Bure jersey retirement.

PS. Lol at playoff success, ie. making it to the finals for us, not being important at all for Canuck fans. We had two riots for it!

Pardon me, but Butch Goring? Different class of player.

But if we're comparing different franchise jersey retirements again, let's go back to Pat Lafontaine.

No?

Okay, then let's stick with the Canucks then. There's enough reasons here to retire Bure's number if Naslund's is retired. There hasn't been enough brought up to support the contrary. Esp. when you're talking about the playoffs, but mainly because Bure and Naslund have both accomplished enough for this franchise to be honoured greatly and equally.

Pardon me, but Butch Goring? Different class of player.

But if we're comparing different franchise jersey retirements again, let's go back to Pat Lafontaine.

No?

Okay, then let's stick with the Canucks then. There's enough reasons here to retire Bure's number if Naslund's is retired. There hasn't been enough brought up to support the contrary. Esp. when you're talking about the playoffs, but mainly because Bure and Naslund have both accomplished enough for this franchise to be honoured greatly and equally.

Common sense tells me that Bure's jersey is likely going to be retired, for reasons stated over and over again. It's you who is treading against it.

My main point, once again, is not what the bar was before, it is that the bar is adjustable. Meaning Bure's playoff success and team records, accomplishments, and impact make him just as worthy as Linden, Smyl and certainly Naslund for Canuck jersey retirement.

Naslund, Smyl, Linden and Bure are all different players. They all accomplished certain things for this franchise. And all of them are worthy of jersey retirement.

When Bure's jersey hangs up here, the majority of the league's fans will be saying 'What took so long?'

Common sense tells me that Bure's jersey is likely going to be retired, for reasons stated over and over again. It's you who is treading against it.

My main point, once again, is not what the bar was before, it is that the bar is adjustable. Meaning Bure's playoff success and team records, accomplishments, and impact make him just as worthy as Linden, Smyl and certainly Naslund for Canuck jersey retirement.

Naslund, Smyl, Linden and Bure are all different players. They all accomplished certain things for this franchise. And all of them are worthy of jersey retirement.

When Bure's jersey hangs up here, the majority of the league's fans will be saying 'What took so long?'

The 428 games-played for the franchise is wrong, btw. It's 488, including playoff games. (Why are you constantly ignoring the playoffs when everyone else treats our '94 run like it's the best thing ever to happen to the Canucks? Is it because that run was fueled by Bure?)

But in any event, it's 7 seasons. That's long enough, considering how much he did for the franchise.

The 428 games-played for the franchise is wrong, btw. It's 488, including playoff games. (Why are you constantly ignoring the playoffs when everyone else treats our '94 run like it's the best thing ever to happen to the Canucks? Is it because that run was fueled by Bure?)

But in any event, it's 7 seasons. That's long enough, considering how much he did for the franchise.

Once again, you're ignoring Bure's other Canucks-related accomplishments when relating to Naslund.

Well you say playoff success was the bar before Naslund. I say 800 games was the bar. Which of us is right?

Did Smyl or Linden have any real playoff "success"? No. Unless of course your bar is set at no cups and one career foray past the second round. That's a pretty low bar and laughable to call that "playoff success". Nor is one lonely foray past the second round reason enough to retire a number.

Smyl, Linden and Naslund have four things in common: 800+ games, long term captains, community service, and high level of play.

Now thinking with a minimum amount of common sense, which is the more likely reason Smyl and Lindens numbers were retired:

1 - One foray past the second round resulting in no cup

2 - Games played combined with several other factors

What does common sense actually tell you?

Archived