The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks MIGHT retire Pavel Bure's #10

hockeyville88

As for the Baggins reference to the dead puck era and the low scoring, I can't really think of anything cooler to watch break the trap and such, as a time warping Bure, on a dash.

Who can really say how many goals he would have playing in Naslund's NHL. It was brutal when Bure played. Naslund enjoyed a tightly called NHL. Now, even if your stick looks at a guy you get a hooking penalty... and the interferance calls??? Oh my! Bure would be killing this new, all-star like, NHL.

Bure - A #99 said he wouldn't have retired if he could have played with Bure = Mega-endoresment

Naslund - B ( and later on, C+ )

HHOF vs faded off into oblivion. We should all celebrate the thrill Bure brought this team.

Care to elaborate on why this is stupid? Or are you just going to throw stones from a distance?

It's pretty obvious that Naslund's jersey in the rafters is a complete joke/publicity stunt performed by a corporation to maximize profits.

The comparisons need to be made because #19 hangs and #10 does not. It hurts, I know.

Your hate for Bure is quite pathetic really. Even though I wasn't born yet/old enough to remember seeing Bure play, his highlights alone are enough to let me know that he was one of the most electric players of his day. He does deserve to have his jersey retired. Not sure why you're so butthurt about it.

^^ Baggins' dead puck era argument is also flawed because Bure scored 58 and 59 goals for the Panthers in the middle of the dead puck era. He also scored 51 goals for us at the start of the dead puck era.

So how many goals would Naslund have scored in Bure's early years? Um, around the same. Probably less if there was no Bertuzzi by his side.

The only reason Bure slowed down at all was because of his knees, not the era.

“Right from the day he first stepped on the ice for the Vancouver Canucks, he wowed the city.” –Pat Quinn

“What Pavel brought at the time, the team never had before. And that was a superstar that was young and I wouldn’t say the word overly confident but he wasn’t afraid to say ‘Look I’m going to score 50 goals’, and he went out and did it.” –Cliff Ronning

“Some of the things that Pavel did at high speed, I couldn’t do it walking through it sometimes. Players are always fooling around before practice or during practice to try different things. But when Pavel did this, it was all at a high speed and he did it in games.” –Stan Smyl

“He was scary with the puck, I mean he could do stuff that made other players look like they were in another league.” –Arthur Griffiths

“Pavel was the type of player, and there’s not a lot of guys that can do that, but literally bring people out of their seats and incredibly explosive. He just made things happen when you didn’t think anything could happen.” –Trevor Linden

“He’s the most talented hockey player I’ve ever played with in my life and that I’ve ever seen. Period.” –Greg Adams

Bure's NHL HHOF career spanned from 1991 to 2003

Naslund's NHL career spanned from 1993 to 2009

The so called "Dead Puck" era (a terrible descriptor and catch phrase, if you ask me) is more non-sense from someone who is drunk on Haterade. Look at the games from the 90's. Clutching, grabbing, mugging, hooking, it's crazy to watch what went on back then in contrast to todays regular season games. It was damned good hockey and Bure was awesome.

Thanks Pavel, if you happen to reading this, I hope you know that the loud and vocal few who have fell hook line and sinker for your bad guy whitewashing at the hands of the former managment and media are a minority, however vocal they may be. Your true fans are still here, waiting for the time when we can cheer you once again.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived