The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks MIGHT retire Pavel Bure's #10

hockeyville88

Obviously, some people hold Nazzy in a higher regard than others, but as I've stated, he really accomplished nothing of note in his time here and his stats are severely avg. Not trying to bring him down but let's be realistic, by hanging #19 in the rafters, we have seriously lowered the bar for this honour and now the door is open to all kinds of mediocrity. If you can't look back objectively, then you are holding onto some kind of "childhood hero memories" of Nazzy, because he was average.

Bure didn't "play here for a little while". He was here for 7 seasons. And he was the most exciting player the canucks have ever known. And for that, he was railroaded out of town by piss poor management and negative media sentiment, which continues to this day and it is sickening.

Naslund, although captain, was pretty ineffectual.I always laughed when he would kind of pretend to get into the scrum and then easily be the first one to leave it, or only start yapping when the ref was between him and the opposing player. I appreciate Nazzy's contribution but I don't know why he is put on such a pedastal.

Deb. are you suggesting that someone should have their jersey retired based on games played and philanthropic hours put in?

This is why there should be some kind of cooling off period after a player retires before honouring him. Unless you are a Gretzky/Lemieux type.

Retiring a jersey the night after someone hangs em up is going to lead to emotional choices based on near history. And things don't come into perspective until some time creates distance from your emotions and from the events that actually took place.

I'd like to see a 5 year cooling off period before a jersey retirement is even considered. Of course, that ship sailed with Naslund and now the Sedins are a shoe-in based on besting Naslunds mediocrity. And Naslunds being retired was based on the fact that he beat offensive records of some players that were not really known for their offensive prowess. Woopity doo

Retire ALL the ##########S!!!!

This statement might have some merrit.

However, I haven't been able to hang my Sedin jersey within any amount of pride since watching them get physically abused like bitches in the 2011 SCF and taking it with a smile. How can you? That display was pathetic and it's no wonder no one wants to "follow the "Leaders" "anymore. How can you respect someone that eats mouthfuls of crap during the SCF? Yes they have plenty of skill and are super nice guys, but they aren't bringing home the cup.

And you know why we lost 1st rnd last year? Because they aren't willing to go through that same amount of abuse, ever again, and they sure can't dish it out.

Sedin's jumped the shark in 2011, that's it that's all, meet you in the middle.

And very sorry to burst bubbles for all the Nazzy superpumpers out there, but he was nothing but average. Except for when Bertuzzi actually showed up and played like he should.

Is it awesome having record breaking seasons and getting the P trophy? You betcha.

But it sucks knowing that that is a s good as it gets because everyone steps it upwhen the real season begins and the Sedins just stay the course. No ups, no downs, just right down the middle. No Heart.

You can win a cup with euro's on your team but you can't win one with all euros. It gets too rough for 'em.

He's the leading scorer in Canucks history.

You're making a joke out of yourself because your only argument is Naslund's STYLE OF PLAY. It's the same with the Sedins. Their European style of play apparently means they have less heart and are soft.

This is bull Canadian propaganda that you have grown up with.

The reason Sedins, Naslund and even Bure will never get the same respect as Trevor Linden? Because they're European. They're quiet, they don't speak too much. And for most part they didn't crash the net like Linden and Canadian players do. They don't represent the Canadian soul in the same way as Linden.

This means that according to you they deserve less recognition even though they have accomplished more than other players.

Sorry bro, but if you are captain for 8 seasons and leading scorer in points and goals you deserve just as much recognision as the guy who played 400 games and scored the most goals in the league for a couple of seasons. Especially if you played for a franchise that hasn't won a single Stanley Cup.

Sorry bro, but Naslund didn't even want to be here for the last few seasons. He was always hanging his head, had no confidence and was a useless leader on the ice. Remeber the SO shot when he couldn't even gain control of the puck when it was left for him at centre ice? He was done the minute Moore took out his knee. Shoulda retired right there and then, we could've taken the jersey right off his back that night and sent it to the roof.

In, fact, that is all he will be remembered for, as the catalyst that blew up the WCE era. Say goodnight

Nazzy was a captain by default, given the C after the vaccum left by the Keenan/Messier fiasco. He should have, by rights, restored the C to Linden upon Linden's return.

Very disappointing to read the follow up article declaring that his jersey being retired may still not happen .

I have thought for a few yrs already that the canucks have handled honouring Bure very poorly since they slapped him in the face with a ring of honor offer

Obviously, other factors trump Baggins' concerns about the length of his stay, his supposed lack of community service, and the lack of cup victories. Such as the hall-of-fame nod and the fact that he was the most-talented Canuck of all.

However, Baggins' concerns aren't even warranted. Length of stay? Like Ray Bourque in Colorado and Pat Lafontaine in Buffalo, that doesn't matter. Lack of cup wins? Um, no. If that mattered, a lot of names would have to come down, league-wide, including all of ours and Marcel Dionne's, for example.

So what's left is this apparent lack of community service that he performed.

First off, it's disputable what he, not being captain Trevor Linden, was able or allowed to do. It's also disputable whether or not he performed community service. Apparently he did, according to photographic evidence and testimonials. And lastly, it's disputable whether it's even important for the guy to do it. In any case, no, he's not Trevor Linden. Nobody is.

These factors aren't the real issue, actually. The real issue is that he left us. But while he was traded, you can say that his heart remained in Vancouver. Like Linden's.

The other issue is that some of us cannot move on and forgive him. (Even though what he did doesn't require forgiveness.)

As for being 'all grown up' and being emotionally detatched from Bure's impact on this club, i can't help but feel that is a line served up to justify a completely biased and petty viewpoint on the player stemming from his departure. To be so filled with ill-will towards this guy years later? Pretty emotional if you ask me.

I remember the Bure heyday quite clearly, from his first game against the jets onward. Fans of ALL ages had a huge boner for the guy and fans of all ages where choked when he left. I was old enough to figure out what was going on when he left, and i'm certainly mature enough now to move the hell on. But if people don't want to, that's alright. It changes nothing.

A lot of people were anti-Nazzy jersey as well. Considering that both Bure and Nazzy aren't Canadian, while Smyl and Linden are, i'd say it's fairly obvious what the other issue is. If these guys were Canadian? No problem, eh?

well those swedes (sedins, naslund, alfredsson, sundin, steen...) choose to stay loyal to canadian cities and adopt canada as their second home while you're spineless canadian boys (sakic, briere, brodeur, nash, doan, getzlaf, jumbo joe...) are too scared to handle the pressure of playing in a hockey craze market.

Archived