498 replies to this topic

#91 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,214 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:27 AM

As for the trade, beaten to death, but i don't blame either side for acting how they did.

Bure wanted to be paid as one of the best in the NHL, which meant $10mil US per. The Canucks couldn't afford that. So they had go through the process of vilifying Bure so the 'desperate for a win' fans wouldn't burn down the city upon learning of the trade. No, it wasn't classy. But it was understandable.

I think the Canucks as a franchise have grown up a ton since then. Esp. this current group. However, the current Canadian dollar makes a lot of difference.
Posted Image

#92 M A K A V E L I 96

M A K A V E L I 96

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

POPULAR

Doesn't deserve it.

Bure was one of my favourite players as a kid. I remember watching all the Canucks games with wide eyes hoping they'd just throw him the puck every time he was on the ice, then I'd watch Sports Page later that night just to catch the highlights of what I'd already seen.

But being "electrifying" isn't good enough. He should be honoured somehow, in some way, but retiring a shirt number is too much. He didn't win us a cup, he had no leadership qualities, he wasn't a noted community figure, and then he split (for reasons that vary depending on who's speaking about it). The whole thing seems... just wrong to me. The whole shirt-retiring ceremony is getting out of hand. It should be reserved for the absolute best-of-the-best, in my opinion, not for when a franchise wants to create buzz and fanfare where there otherwise is none.

When Henrik and Daniel retire, their shirts will probably be retired too, according to a 1040 panel and all the callers I'd heard last summer. That, according to all the fans and commentators, will be a no brainer. And like someone else said... 6 shirts in about a decade... and no stanley cup. It's almost embarrassing.

Did Linden, Naslund, or Smyl win the cup? Leadership is overrated. I'd rather have a goal scoring machine on my team rather than some "rah rah leader". Do people watch hockey for entertainment or because of what people do in their community? Bure's # should have been in the rafters a long time ago. He's more deserving than any of the #s that have been retired so far.
Posted Image

#93 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

well its about !%$# time !!!!

:towel:
Posted Image

#94 Mountain Dew

Mountain Dew

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

bure would never have stood for this:

Posted Image

So ungrateful.

You say it like Bure actually won a Cup. Yet you don't cut the Sedins some slack.

#95 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,684 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

Did Linden, Naslund, or Smyl win the cup? Leadership is overrated. I'd rather have a goal scoring machine on my team rather than some "rah rah leader". Do people watch hockey for entertainment or because of what people do in their community? Bure's # should have been in the rafters a long time ago. He's more deserving than any of the #s that have been retired so far.

I don't think you get my point. I said "retiring numbers is getting out of hand" (or something to that effect) meaning... I'm not sure any of these people should have their numbers retired. And being "entertained" is entirely subjective. Some people would argue that the 'magic' between the Sedins is just as entertaining as Bure flying down the wing, or Rypien beating up someone twice his size, or having the tragically underrated and largely forgotten Mogilny hit 50 goals in a Canucks shirt.

And to answer your question, I think people watch hockey for entertainment, but they love their teams and players for what they stand for on a personal/community level. These players are paid outrageous amounts of money and they don't HAVE to give back, but many do. While you may consider this maturity and off-ice leadership to be "overrated," I consider it to be the hallmark of a good individual, or good management, and a self-awareness and personality that simply adds a new level to the on-ice entertainment
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#96 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,214 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

POPULAR

I could care less if some fans think he doesn't deserve it. He does. It's happening. And those fans are wrong. Done.
Posted Image

#97 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,363 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

It is sad to see how he was treated by management. Also he was the Sedin's age when he retired and was still scoring at a 40 goal pace. Too bad his knees gave up. He might have been able to hit the 700 goal mark with more longevity (if he retired at 38 or 39). At the very least he would have hit 600.

Edited by canucklehead44, 08 November 2012 - 12:08 PM.

Sig too big.

#98 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,052 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

None of them won cups. The the three numbers currently in the rafters were long time team leaders who were dedicated to the team and the community. The only thing Bure was dedicated to was his paycheck. He wasn't here long enough, nor dedicated to the team or city. For his talent he deserved to be in the HHoF, but he doesn't deserve his number retired here.
Posted Image

#99 M A K A V E L I 96

M A K A V E L I 96

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

POPULAR

I don't think you get my point. I said "retiring numbers is getting out of hand" (or something to that effect) meaning... I'm not sure any of these people should have their numbers retired. And being "entertained" is entirely subjective. Some people would argue that the 'magic' between the Sedins is just as entertaining as Bure flying down the wing, or Rypien beating up someone twice his size, or having the tragically underrated and largely forgotten Mogilny hit 50 goals in a Canucks shirt.

And to answer your question, I think people watch hockey for entertainment, but they love their teams and players for what they stand for on a personal/community level. These players are paid outrageous amounts of money and they don't HAVE to give back, but many do. While you may consider this maturity and off-ice leadership to be "overrated," I consider it to be the hallmark of a good individual, or good management, and a self-awareness and personality that simply adds a new level to the on-ice entertainment

How is it getting out of hand? There will be 4 numbers retired in 40+ years. Hockey probably won't even exist when all the numbers are even close to being used up.

As for Bure's community work, here he is stealing a sick kid's glove.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#100 16ToWin

16ToWin

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

Wonder if there will be some financial incentives to offset any bad feelings in the past?

ok negitive nancy
Home honey,.I'm high

#101 bongo4420

bongo4420

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

I'm split on this issue. The fact is he's a HOFer and the best hockey player Vancouver has ever had, but from day one he's never wanted to be here. He was always posturing for a way out of Vancouver so he could play in the bigger American markets. He has ZERO connection to the city and the night they raise his number will probably be the last time he ever steps foot on Vancouver soil. However, this is a hockey honour not a City of Vancouver humanitarian award so he deserves it.

#102 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

POPULAR

None of them won cups. The the three numbers currently in the rafters were long time team leaders who were dedicated to the team and the community. The only thing Bure was dedicated to was his paycheck. He wasn't here long enough, nor dedicated to the team or city. For his talent he deserved to be in the HHoF, but he doesn't deserve his number retired here.

Like no other NHL player cared about his paycheck. :rolleyes:

Like no other player would have been miffed when a deal was finally offered that was rightly comparable to Mogilny and others at the same level and he finds out at the last minute that its in Canadian funds.

Like no other player would have been p'd off when bonus money was held back.

Like no other player would have been annoyed that when he was ready to sign after a 60 goal season, he was told that was a fluke and he'd have to prove himself for another year first.

Not to mention, abandoning him in LA when he first arrived, not speaking the language, and making him pay money back to Russia out of money he hadn't earned yet.

He could have been a d-head and aired his grievances publicly, but he kept it all private and stayed above the fray. I kind of wish he had aired it all, but he chose not to.

If the Vancouver Canucks did not retire a number of a player inducted into the HHOF, that played his most productive years for their franchise, they would be the laughing stock of the league and gain a reputation of the biggest bone-head organization in sports.

BTW Canucks Place wasn't even off the ground back then, but he still did his duties at event like this Ronald McDonalds event. How many hours of NON hockey stuff does he have to do to satisfy Debbie Downers like you in order to be recognized for his excellence on the ice?....You know, the job that he was actually being paid to do?

Posted Image

#103 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,684 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

How is it getting out of hand? There will be 4 numbers retired in 40+ years. Hockey probably won't even exist when all the numbers are even close to being used up.

As for Bure's community work, here he is stealing a sick kid's glove.

Like many others have pointed out, given the shallow criteria with the organization retires numbers ("be exciting" or "be a community guy, with decent-to-great ability") the team will have to retire the Sedins as well. That'll be 6 retirements in a short period of time. Given that same criteria, it's relatively easy to predict that there will be a lot of similar players for consideration in the foreseeable future, too. If these were numbers 89, 98, 92, etc. that's one thing, but to retire #16, 19, 10, etc. just seems wrong. In soccer, for example, it's an honour to wear a certain number, because with it comes not only expectation, but a constant reminder of those who previously wore it. Why retire #19 when it could be reserved for the next great captain we get, or something? Why not create an internal legacy in that regard, rather than retire numbers 2-through-20, just because they helped the team be ALMOST good enough?

Bure was elusive at best. As a kid I thought it added to the intrigue, but as an adult? Come on. He was a genius on the ice, and aloof of it. Optimists write this up as him being uncomfortable with popularity, cynics respond by saying his party-animal lifestyle suggested he was actually just a jerk. He loved money and stardom (chased big contracts, high profile celebrity lovers, etc.), but certainly didn't love Vancouver or the Canucks.
Posted Image

#104 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,684 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

Like no other player would have been miffed when a deal was finally offered that was rightly comparable to Mogilny and others at the same level and he finds out at the last minute that its in Canadian funds.

Like no other player would have been annoyed that when he was ready to sign after a 60 goal season, he was told that was a fluke and he'd have to prove himself for another year first.

Not to mention, abandoning him in LA when he first arrived, not speaking the language, and making him pay money back to Russia out of money he hadn't earned yet.

He could have been a d-head and aired his grievances publicly, but he kept it all private and stayed above the fray. I kind of wish he had aired it all, but he chose not to.

If the Vancouver Canucks did not retire a number of a player inducted into the HHOF, that played his most productive years for their franchise, they would be the laughing stock of the league and gain a reputation of the biggest bone-head organization in sports.

BTW Canucks Place wasn't even off the ground back then, but he still did his duties at event like this Ronald McDonalds event. How many hours of NON hockey stuff does he have to do to satisfy Debbie Downers like you in order to be recognized for his excellence on the ice?....You know, the job that he was actually being paid to do?

Are you suggesting that all players who are inducted into the HHOF should have their numbers retired by a franchise?

Are you also suggesting that Bure was an active member in the Vancouver community, simply because you can find a handful of photo ops? Give me a break.
Posted Image

#105 M A K A V E L I 96

M A K A V E L I 96

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

Like many others have pointed out, given the shallow criteria with the organization retires numbers ("be exciting" or "be a community guy, with decent-to-great ability") the team will have to retire the Sedins as well. That'll be 6 retirements in a short period of time. Given that same criteria, it's relatively easy to predict that there will be a lot of similar players for consideration in the foreseeable future, too. If these were numbers 89, 98, 92, etc. that's one thing, but to retire #16, 19, 10, etc. just seems wrong. In soccer, for example, it's an honour to wear a certain number, because with it comes not only expectation, but a constant reminder of those who previously wore it. Why retire #19 when it could be reserved for the next great captain we get, or something? Why not create an internal legacy in that regard, rather than retire numbers 2-through-20, just because they helped the team be ALMOST good enough?

Yeah, the Canucks should keep #10 around so that guys in the mold of May, Letowski, Tambellini, and Johnson can carry on the #10 legacy. :)
Posted Image

#106 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

POPULAR

bure would never have stood for this:

Posted Image

If the sedins, combined, had half the heart contained in Bure's left pinky toe, we would have a cup.

Bure should have been in the rafters before Naslund, Naslund should not be up there at all.

I don't care what type of a guy you are off the ice, this is HOCKEY goddammit. Nice guys get punched in the face like bitches. Nice doesn't win championships. Those twins and Nazzy are real "nice" guys. Bure was a monster, google that crap and get a lesson.

#107 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,684 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

Yeah, the Canucks should keep #10 around so that guys in the mold of May, Letowski, Tambellini, and Johnson can carry on the #10 legacy. :)

#10 is a bad example, because #10 is (generally speaking) a throw-away number in hockey, which is probably why Bure wanted a fancy-schmancy 96. And when you factor in the Canucks' stubborn commitment to "all players being numbered under 40," it raises even more problems considering our apparently loose requirements for considering players legendary or legends in the making. It's stupid. It's all short-sighted fanfare.

The better example is 19. How many GREAT captains in the last 10-15 years have used the #19? How many great captains use it now? How many great young players would want to wear it in the future because their favourite players of today are already wearing it?

Yzerman. Thornton. Naslund. Sakic. Shane Doan. Brad Richards. Toews. Spezza. The list could go on and on and on. 19 is a number that can hold serious weight within a franchise. But nope. Not here!
Posted Image

#108 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,684 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

If the sedins, combined, had half the heart contained in Bure's left pinky toe, we would have a cup.

Bure should have been in the rafters before Naslund, Naslund should not be up there at all.

I don't care what type of a guy you are off the ice, this is HOCKEY goddammit. Nice guys get punched in the face like bitches. Nice doesn't win championships. Those twins and Nazzy are real "nice" guys. Bure was a monster, google that crap and get a lesson.

Neither did Bure. And if people messed with Bure, they'd have to deal with the criminally insane Odjick right after. Canucks don't have that right now, now do they?

Edited by GLASSJAW, 08 November 2012 - 01:55 PM.

Posted Image

#109 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

I'd laugh pretty hard if they retired #96.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#110 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,214 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

^ fyi. It wasn't Odjick who delivered the mother of all elbows.

Not saying Daniel Sedin should deliver one too, but he might've been better served not letting Marchand do that bs to him.
Posted Image

#111 M A K A V E L I 96

M A K A V E L I 96

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

#10 is a bad example, because #10 is (generally speaking) a throw-away number in hockey, which is probably why Bure wanted a fancy-schmancy 96. And when you factor in the Canucks' stubborn commitment to "all players being numbered under 40," it raises even more problems considering our apparently loose requirements for considering players legendary or legends in the making. It's stupid. It's all short-sighted fanfare.

He took 96 because that's when he arrived in North America. September (9) 6th.

High numbers are fancy-schmancy? This is like the US lapel pin stuff. No substance. Just pure fake outrage and grasping at straws.

Edited by M A K A V E L I 96, 08 November 2012 - 02:23 PM.

Posted Image

#112 CanucksSayEh

CanucksSayEh

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

^ fyi. It wasn't Odjick who delivered the mother of all elbows.

Not saying Daniel Sedin should deliver one too, but he might've been better served not letting Marchand do that bs to him.

Was really pissed watching the twins take it like they did in the finals, however.......... vs the Kings Hank seemed to step up, he took a big hit went out and was our most productive player of the series even without Daniel. In game 4 they seemed legitimately PO'd, hopefully the bitterness of the losses have piled up enough now that they come into the next post season with a certain cause for redemption. No more mr nice twins :P

#113 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

He loved money and stardom (chased big contracts, high profile celebrity lovers, etc.), but certainly didn't love Vancouver or the Canucks.

Wow, thanks Dr. Freud. Who doesn't love money? But he definitely did NOT love stardom. Celebrity lovers?..I only remember he had one rumoured brief affair with Anna Kournikova, but that was AFTER he left the Canucks. And so what? Like you would turn down Anna Kournikova.

And what's with the "didn't love Vancouver or the Canucks"? He did and always will love his homeland more than a city he played in. Just like you would if you were carted off to Russia for employment. Do you have some kind of scale that measures how much the 700 - odd NHL players are in love with the city that they have a contract to play with...and Bure scored low? He has consistantly stated that he loved the fans and had no problem with them. To me the people ARE the city. That and the heart he showed on the ice each and every game was more than enough "love" for me.

Are you suggesting that all players who are inducted into the HHOF should have their numbers retired by a franchise?

Uh....yeah, for the most part. I'm not talking about going back in history. I tried to google it but couldn't find an answer, but I doubt there is more than a handful of HHOF players in the modern era that do not have their numbers retired. And like I clarified, only in the city where their most productive accomplishments were achieved. You have an argument with that???

Are you also suggesting that Bure was an active member in the Vancouver community, simply because you can find a handful of photo ops? Give me a break.

So how many would satisfy your needs? I'm curious. Just how much charity work is required for a hockey player to get recognition for PLAYING HOCKEY? Maybe he sent money back to his family and friends in the Soviet Union to help them...you have no idea who he was or wasn't charitable with.

#114 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

lol
Posted Image

#115 viking mama

viking mama

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

Anyone else think this is one curse that needs to be lifted? It'll mean better KARMA goin' forward for sure!

The fact that some locals are still resentful for not gettin' enough love from their young-stud hockey hero over the years.....just shows how insensitive folks were to his adjustments & development curve back then. North American kids get educated more on how to meet with all of the high-profile demands of being a pro in a very capitalist North American society. Still heart-warming tho' - that Bure made a few real connections while in VanCity...especially with earlier NHL teammates like Gino Odjick. Seems like there were few people who really knew how challenging & difficult it was for him to navigate thru those 1st months & years after departing communist Russia. I'm sure he appreciated those who understood & were patient with him...OR simply helped him to cope. It couldn't have been an easy or a true immersion experience - with a svengali-father in tow for much of it. By comparison - Valerie Bure's social-transition seemed to go much more smoothly.

The Panthers acquired a more confident Pavel - who had obviously grown more comfortable with his fame...but we Vancouverites got to see him at his enthusiastic best... & for that I will be forever grateful!

I'm really lookin' forward to seeing Bure's #10 hoisted into the rafters @ Roger's Arena. Good on Mr. Aquilini & his crew for working so hard to make it happen....so that maybe...this thing is eventually set to right.

Edited by viking mama, 06 April 2013 - 04:47 AM.

#116 Strawberries

Strawberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

Are you freaking kidding me
Posted Image

#117 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,052 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

Posted Image

1 - I'd love to hear the other side of the story. We've only heard Bure's and there's holes in it. Do you think maybe his brother said Gillis would have to go before Pavel's number would be retired was because Gillis, his former agent, actually knows the whole truth? Why sit out and demand a trade well after everybody that pissed you off is long gone? Not to mention his favorite GM/coach (Keenan) is now running the show?

2 - Going all the way back to Smyl the franchise has had mandatory community service that every player had to participate in. Icluding Bure. He did the team minimum. Others, like Linden, Naslund, Smyl, and the Sedins, go way beyond team requirements.

3 - At Naslunds peak he was underpaid on every contract. Did he cry about it? Did he demand his contract be re-negotiated? Did he sit out? Nope. He played out every contract for what he signed for. After the Sedins rookie contract expired they took their qualifying offer (much to everybody's surprise) as they felt they hadn't earned the money they were paid on their first contract. Bure started complaining about his money after 65 games with a year remaining. See a difference?

Bure was talented without a doubt. I just don't think he was here long enough (or did enough) to deserve his number being retired. Is playing 5 1/2 seasons really enough to retire a guys number? That's what it really comes down to. I say no.
Posted Image

#118 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 12,684 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

Wow, thanks Dr. Freud. Who doesn't love money? But he definitely did NOT love stardom. Celebrity lovers?..I only remember he had one rumoured brief affair with Anna Kournikova, but that was AFTER he left the Canucks. And so what? Like you would turn down Anna Kournikova.

I don't know if he loved stardom, and it was wrong of me to say that. All I do remember is him skipping town all the time, having a "partying" reputation, dating models, and the high profile Kournikova thing. Saying he loved stardom may be the wrong wording, but let's say he loved a life of luxury. Perhaps one of the reasons why he, or anyone, would want out of Vancouver.

And what's with the "didn't love Vancouver or the Canucks"? He did and always will love his homeland more than a city he played in. Just like you would if you were carted off to Russia for employment. Do you have some kind of scale that measures how much the 700 - odd NHL players are in love with the city that they have a contract to play with...and Bure scored low? He has consistantly stated that he loved the fans and had no problem with them. To me the people ARE the city. That and the heart he showed on the ice each and every game was more than enough "love" for me.

haha, "carted off"

Bure was a great player, and exciting, and all of that. The Canucks have had a LOT of exciting and good players. They'll have a lot more. The question is whether or not being "exciting" is good enough to have the ultimate reward in jersey retirement. You say yes. I say no. You say yes... because he was exciting, and that's pretty much it. I say no... because he didn't go above and beyond his talent, when he very easily could have. You disagree. That's cool. I don't equate "loving the fans" with scoring some goals. You do. I don't. Ok. Cool.

Uh....yeah, for the most part. I'm not talking about going back in history. I tried to google it but couldn't find an answer, but I doubt there is more than a handful of HHOF players in the modern era that do not have their numbers retired. And like I clarified, only in the city where their most productive accomplishments were achieved. You have an argument with that???

Took me 2 minutes to find a handful of HHOF players who haven't had their jerseys retired by a franchise that played an important role either in development or glory years.

So how many would satisfy your needs? I'm curious. Just how much charity work is required for a hockey player to get recognition for PLAYING HOCKEY? Maybe he sent money back to his family and friends in the Soviet Union to help them...you have no idea who he was or wasn't charitable with.

You don't get my argument, and that's okay. What I'm saying is that players SHOULD-NOT-HAVE-THEIR-NUMBERS-RETIRED-UNDER-THE-CURRENT-FLIMSY-REQUIREMENTS. THE-SYSTEM-IS-RIDICULOUS-AND-SHOULD-BE-CHANGED-IT-ISN'T-NECESSARILY-A-REFLECTION-OF-BURE-PERSONALLY-BUT-HE-IS-A-GOOD-EXAMPLE-BECAUSE-IT'S-A-CURRENT-HOT-TOPIC.

I said this EXACT stuff when Naslund was retired.

Bure was a great hockey player, and that's cool. There are, and have been, many players who are actually (get this) BETTER than Pavel Bure. Shockingly, many of them MIGHT EVEN PLAY FOR VANCOUVER. Some of them might even win some Stanley Cups. Imagine that.

My belief is that retiring a jersey SHOULD NOT BE SUCH A FLIMSY, ALMOST MEANINGLESS CEREMONY. It should be reserved for people who go above and beyond their duty, even if their duty is done very well. Retiring a shirt should be a representation of appreciation for what someone has done for a team, a city, an organization, a community, and the sport AS A WHOLE. NOT someone who goes through the motions because their agent tells them to, or their job description requires it.

Edited by GLASSJAW, 08 November 2012 - 03:07 PM.

Posted Image

#119 lowest common denominator

lowest common denominator

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

Neither did Bure. And if people messed with Bure, they'd have to deal with the criminally insane Odjick right after. Canucks don't have that right now, now do they?

Yes Gino was there to step in when needed but Bure more than knew how to stand up for himself and if you don't know that then I'm going to suggest that you've never actually seen him play.

Also, Bure scored 110 points and 107pts in a clutch n grab nhl. Sedins have one 100+ pt season and a bunch of 80+pt seasons in a league where they are allowed to dance around like butterflies until the playoffs, when they are smashed like bugs.

Avg ppg/ nhl career

Bure 1.11
Sedin,D 0.84
Sedin,H 0.84

The Sedins are statistically ahead of Bure when it comes to punches in the face, though. Is that why your tag is Glassjaw, Glassjaw?

The Sedins are great players, unique in their duplicity. I just get pissed everytime I see them"taking the high road" or whatever you want to call it.

#120 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,214 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

Aww, somebody decided to whine about Bure again on his blog. Boo-hoo-hoo.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.