The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks MIGHT retire Pavel Bure's #10

hockeyville88

OK… BUT…

Given that Henrik & Daniel will get the same honors, we’re looking at a total of 6 sweaters in the rafters within a decade.

There is just something not quite right with us being even with the Islanders and within range of the Oilers in this department.

Finally!

Bure was the reason I became a full time Canuck fan. I was only a casual hockey fan before he arrived. He opened my eyes to just how fast, exciting, and beautiful the game of Hockey can be.

Those whiny fans that think he has to have some kind of quota in community work can sit on it. Its not like he refused, but he was fighting with management from day one, I can understand him not leaping to go out to generate good publicity for the Canuck organization.

Its too bad us fans were not made more aware of the petty, inconsiderate and downright dishonest treatment of Pavel when he was here or we would have been overwhelmingly on his side and put pressure on management to do the right thing by him, and he may have played out his career here....maybe still part of the organization in some way. Could have should have.

I have no words for that ______ McPhee.

Doesn't deserve it.

Bure was one of my favourite players as a kid. I remember watching all the Canucks games with wide eyes hoping they'd just throw him the puck every time he was on the ice, then I'd watch Sports Page later that night just to catch the highlights of what I'd already seen.

But being "electrifying" isn't good enough. He should be honoured somehow, in some way, but retiring a shirt number is too much. He didn't win us a cup, he had no leadership qualities, he wasn't a noted community figure, and then he split (for reasons that vary depending on who's speaking about it). The whole thing seems... just wrong to me. The whole shirt-retiring ceremony is getting out of hand. It should be reserved for the absolute best-of-the-best, in my opinion, not for when a franchise wants to create buzz and fanfare where there otherwise is none.

When Henrik and Daniel retire, their shirts will probably be retired too, according to a 1040 panel and all the callers I'd heard last summer. That, according to all the fans and commentators, will be a no brainer. And like someone else said... 6 shirts in about a decade... and no stanley cup. It's almost embarrassing.

In a similar thread below this one, people are actually discussing how Burrows and Luongo should potentially have their numbers retired, as well.

19 is the new "classic" captain's number, and we already have it retired. Could you imagine if we retired _THE_ goalie number (1), retired as well?

lol, us Canucks fans are desperate for a legacy that we've been due some decades for. That's so sad.

As for the trade, beaten to death, but i don't blame either side for acting how they did.

Bure wanted to be paid as one of the best in the NHL, which meant $10mil US per. The Canucks couldn't afford that. So they had go through the process of vilifying Bure so the 'desperate for a win' fans wouldn't burn down the city upon learning of the trade. No, it wasn't classy. But it was understandable.

I think the Canucks as a franchise have grown up a ton since then. Esp. this current group. However, the current Canadian dollar makes a lot of difference.

Doesn't deserve it.

Bure was one of my favourite players as a kid. I remember watching all the Canucks games with wide eyes hoping they'd just throw him the puck every time he was on the ice, then I'd watch Sports Page later that night just to catch the highlights of what I'd already seen.

But being "electrifying" isn't good enough. He should be honoured somehow, in some way, but retiring a shirt number is too much. He didn't win us a cup, he had no leadership qualities, he wasn't a noted community figure, and then he split (for reasons that vary depending on who's speaking about it). The whole thing seems... just wrong to me. The whole shirt-retiring ceremony is getting out of hand. It should be reserved for the absolute best-of-the-best, in my opinion, not for when a franchise wants to create buzz and fanfare where there otherwise is none.

When Henrik and Daniel retire, their shirts will probably be retired too, according to a 1040 panel and all the callers I'd heard last summer. That, according to all the fans and commentators, will be a no brainer. And like someone else said... 6 shirts in about a decade... and no stanley cup. It's almost embarrassing.

Did Linden, Naslund, or Smyl win the cup? Leadership is overrated. I'd rather have a goal scoring machine on my team rather than some "rah rah leader". Do people watch hockey for entertainment or because of what people do in their community? Bure's # should have been in the rafters a long time ago. He's more deserving than any of the #s that have been retired so far.

It is sad to see how he was treated by management. Also he was the Sedin's age when he retired and was still scoring at a 40 goal pace. Too bad his knees gave up. He might have been able to hit the 700 goal mark with more longevity (if he retired at 38 or 39). At the very least he would have hit 600.

Did Linden, Naslund, or Smyl win the cup? Leadership is overrated. I'd rather have a goal scoring machine on my team rather than some "rah rah leader". Do people watch hockey for entertainment or because of what people do in their community? Bure's # should have been in the rafters a long time ago. He's more deserving than any of the #s that have been retired so far.

I don't think you get my point. I said "retiring numbers is getting out of hand" (or something to that effect) meaning... I'm not sure any of these people should have their numbers retired. And being "entertained" is entirely subjective. Some people would argue that the 'magic' between the Sedins is just as entertaining as Bure flying down the wing, or Rypien beating up someone twice his size, or having the tragically underrated and largely forgotten Mogilny hit 50 goals in a Canucks shirt.

And to answer your question, I think people watch hockey for entertainment, but they love their teams and players for what they stand for on a personal/community level. These players are paid outrageous amounts of money and they don't HAVE to give back, but many do. While you may consider this maturity and off-ice leadership to be "overrated," I consider it to be the hallmark of a good individual, or good management, and a self-awareness and personality that simply adds a new level to the on-ice entertainment

I'm split on this issue. The fact is he's a HOFer and the best hockey player Vancouver has ever had, but from day one he's never wanted to be here. He was always posturing for a way out of Vancouver so he could play in the bigger American markets. He has ZERO connection to the city and the night they raise his number will probably be the last time he ever steps foot on Vancouver soil. However, this is a hockey honour not a City of Vancouver humanitarian award so he deserves it.

Archived