The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks MIGHT retire Pavel Bure's #10

hockeyville88

I'll agree with that, but the stars of the Hawks, Bruins and Kings aren't dirty players at all - they're all skill just like the Sedins.

Hawks - Toews and Kane

Bruins - Bergeron and Krejci

Kings - Kopitar and Brown

I definately agree that you win with tough, dirty players in today's NHL, but that is not the role of the twins. They are our scorers and our skill. Leave the dirty work to the bottom-6 players. Look at those 3 last cup-winning teams and all of them had rats in their bottom-6, we don't have 1 guy who does what Marchand and Bolland did.

The Sedins are the one perfect thing about the Canucks right now and would be Cup winners by now if we could have fixed our bottom-6 and defence.

I'll agree with that, but the stars of the Hawks, Bruins and Kings aren't dirty players at all - they're all skill just like the Sedins.

Hawks - Toews and Kane

Bruins - Bergeron and Krejci

Kings - Kopitar and Brown

I definately agree that you win with tough, dirty players in today's NHL, but that is not the role of the twins. They are our scorers and our skill. Leave the dirty work to the bottom-6 players. Look at those 3 last cup-winning teams and all of them had rats in their bottom-6, we don't have 1 guy who does what Marchand and Bolland did.

The Sedins are the one perfect thing about the Canucks right now and would be Cup winners by now if we could have fixed our bottom-6 and defence.

Disagree on why we lost. We lost because we had a number of key injuries and boston had only one (Horton). They were bigger and we didn't have the size up front on the scoring lines we needed,

If we had Hammer in the lineup, a healthy Kesler, healthy Erhoff, healthy Manny, and a kid Named Kassian in his prime. I think we win.

As they always say minimal injuries in the NHL are important to win a cup, we had too many with key players. If you took out Boston's best DMan (Chara), had Beregeron playing injured, and another top 2 Dman playing injured, and we were healthy, we probably win that game.

Luck sometimes plays a part.

About fricken time!!

He deserves his number retired and has been deserving for many years.

I hated to see this guy go and was ashamed that he was treated so badly

by management. Those where rough times and I didn't blame him at all for

wanting out of the mess the team was in. Keenan and Messier just literaly

tore the hearts out of every Canucks fan with thier dismantaling of the

team we all loved.Pavel was and still is the greatest canuck ever, there

will never be another like this guy! Mr.Acquilini, I thank you for putting

this right! You've done a service to all canuck fans!

Bure was the best player we ever had and deserved his jersey retired long time ago.

In fact, I would say his jersey retiring is more important than any of the others that are up there right now.

There is a reason why we have only one former Canuck in the HHOF.

This isnt about being a nice guy, bad guy or community giver. It's about being the greatest player.

No one here shoud comment on his personal life based on stupid rumors and innuendo.

As for being paid top dollar, this franchise owed him that (some monkey fan commented on this as well)

Yes, injuries was the reason we lost, but how do you get injured? By being continuously pounded, whacked and slashed after the whistle consistently by all of their lines. Boston injured us by physically wearing us down with their big defencemen and we had no one to dish it back to them.

In any playoff series, the winner is often the team that survives. This is mostly how we beat Chicago that year - the Blackhawk stars were targetted repeatedly and despite them coming back, at the end of the day we wore them out more than they did to us.

Now look at Los Angeles. They breezed to the Cup because of their size across all lines, which meant they consistently hit their opponents and physically broke them down. The biggest difference between these Cup winners and the Canucks in 2011 was eventually our inability to do so. We had the Sedins responsible for scoring, Kesler responsible for scoring and hitting, a great 3rd line that was throwing around their weight and scoring timely goals but an INVISIBLE 4th line and worst of all - absolutely no size on our blueline. We cannot have one physically imposing (Edler) defenceman and expect to win a Cup and NO Bieksa and Hamhuis are not hard hitters when you compare them to the likes of Chara, McQuaid, Ference, Boychuk, Mitchell and Matt Greene who are physical beasts.

I'm sorry but I've never seen Patrick Kane, Hossa or Justin Williams throw a hit in my life. Even Kopitar and Toews are rarely throwing hits. Every team has their skilled guys who focus purely on scoring, the reason Cup winners succeed is because these skilled guys are complemented by physical monsters when on the ice.

Consider Kane. When his line is on the ice, so are Seabrook and Keith so no one messes with him.

Consider Kopitar. When he's on the ice, so are Mitchell and Brown.

Consider Krejci. When he's on the ice, so are Chara and Lucic.

Now look at the Sedins. When they're out there, they have Alex Burrows, Bieksa and Hamhuis. Hamhuis doesn't have a mean bone in him, especially on the ice and Bieksa and Burrows are quite frankly too small to scare or hurt anyone when compared to the guys above.

The Canucks need size and muscle, especially on the blueline. Yes Kassian will help, but he's not on the ice most of the time. Our biggest, #1 problem since 2011 has been lack of big, physical defenders and it will continue to be the reason we fall in the playoffs to teams with towers on the blueline. The key to success is skill up front to score and physical checkers on the blueline to wear down opposing forwards in the playoffs. We DON'T need more bulky, unskilled forwards, our forward core has a perfect mix right now, let's just focuss on turning this puck-moving, pinching and fragile defence into a rock-sturdy, no-mistake defence.

i cant believe how many people want this to happen the guy threatend to hold out and not play in the 94 playoffs to get a contract.. he was terrible with fans and media and then held out for a trade out of vancouver and didnt honor his contract.... smyle and linden should be the only ones to go up and probably sedins one day nazzy? really ? for the last 4 years of his time with us he hung it over our head that he was going to stay in sweden and not come back to the nhl bure took off and wanted nothing to do with vancouver anymore... every jersey that is retired in other buildings the players won them a CUP!!! and exceptions for captains that spent their lives with them team and didnt everything for the community and the fans its embarassing that bure is even going into the hall.

i cant believe how many people want this to happen the guy threatend to hold out and not play in the 94 playoffs to get a contract.. he was terrible with fans and media and then held out for a trade out of vancouver and didnt honor his contract.... every jersey that is retired in other buildings the players won them a CUP!!! and exceptions for captains that spent their lives with them team and didnt everything for the community and the fans its embarassing that bure is even going into the hall.

Not disputing we lacked size, have said that we need that before, and that the Kassian deal was smart for that reason. As you may have seen in my post I mentioned having a "Kassian in his prime" for that reason.

The injuries that happened are bad luck not an issue of size. Hamhuis made a terrific hip check on Lucic, but was unstable and hurt his hip. You can argue well its bec Lucic was so much bigger, maybe the cause maybe not. A hip check is about leverage, not size, Hammer had the leverage and didn't have control on the back end and hurt something.

Kesler's hip/groin issues were also not about size. Everyone has a groin, he tore it.

Ehrhoffs wrist was not about size, it was about slashes, teams slash everyone, get it in a bad place it gets hurt, size doesn't make a difference.

See my point? And given we had a 2-0 lead with all those injuries and Boston's none, my guess is we would have won if that situation was reversed.

Now if you're implying if we were bigger we could go injure Boston well that's silly. Injuries are part of sport and bad luck for the most part, they aren't determined by size differential unless you're head hunting.

Now, would size have helped. Absolutely, it would have allowed better oppty's for the Sedins to have space, get to the net, get to rebounds etc. But most teams have a tough time getting through Chara and he didnt come off the ice very much, not to mention Thomas just completely stood on his head.

We do need to get bigger, both up front and especially the back end. But was it the cause of the injuries and loss? No way.

If Bure can make the HHoF, then the Sedins can too. They have just as many league trophys each as Bure and have made a Cup Final. They'll likely finish their NHL careers with over 1000 games played, close to a PPG pace, and they've done more for the community than Bure.

As for reasons for retiring their jerseys: They'll be the top 2 scorers in franchise history, they've both won the Art Ross, and have a Hart and Lindsay between them, they were the leaders of a Canucks team that made it to Game 7 of the Cup Final, all at a time where Crosby, Ovechkin, and Malkin are in their prime.

Archived