Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Ask A Hotel Employee Something!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
146 replies to this topic

#121 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:38 AM

Does your GM support Movember??

#122 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:39 AM

what's the time period on lost & found items for the employee who found, do they get after one month??

#123 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:40 AM

If i took a black light to the beds in your hotel, would they be clean or would i find a bunch of stains?

#124 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:42 AM

how many noise complaints before a guest gets kicked from a hotel??

#125 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:44 AM

if a guest complains against a complaint made against them, is it true the hotel bends over backwards and makes that guest a VIP guest??

#126 Sugar baby watermelon

Sugar baby watermelon

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:44 AM

if a guest complains against a complaint made against them, is it true the hotel bends over backwards and makes that guest a VIP guest??

#127 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,170 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:49 AM

HaggisOBrien is lovin' this thread

#128 JJC

JJC

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,164 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:39 AM

how often do people bitch at workers?

COLTSTRONG

Posted Image

d d d d d d ddd d d d d d ddddddddd-Formally known as Jay Jay Sea

#129 Twilight Sparkle

Twilight Sparkle

Lizardshifting Shape

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,165 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:08 AM

you're standing outside for a smoke break, or perhaps you stepped outside on your way to the mall, but you stop to look at your phone because your friend sends you a text message, but you continue to stand there to reply to it, when suddenly, someone barfs out their window 20 floors up. for whatever reason, i'll never know. has this ever happened to you?

Edited by Olias, 11 November 2012 - 04:08 AM.

291euxi.jpg

Praise Smooze, eat pizza!

#130 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

ok years ago when i went to vancouver with a group of rednecks we checked into a best western by the hockey rink, canucks won it was great. we went on a booze cruise around the city & i decided to call in the night. i took a cab and told him best western. when i got there my card wouldn't work in the elevator, went to the desk & said i was staying at room 216, he reprogramed my card and when i went into room 216 and there was nothing there thank god. i was at the wrong best western and just got access to the room. now if some one was in that room who would be at fault? me (drunk) or the desk guy that accessed my card?

The Front Desk worker is completely at fault. They are suppost to check your ID, and if you don't have any, they have to follow you up to the room, and check your ID up there.

Posted Image

#131 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

have you ever had to deal with the JW's or other solicitors?

Yes. IT doesn't happen that often though, usually only during the Christmas party seasons.

are the fruit salads they make actually have anything else other than honeydew, watermelon, or cantelope??

Yes, we have a fantastic restaurant and the fruit salads are made in house everyday. The ingrediants change depending on what fruits we have, but they put apples, oranges, and many other fruits in it,

Does your GM support Movember??

Yes they do! We have a competition going on for the best stache, whoever wins gets a free meal for six in the restaurant, plus a free night at our hotel for two.

what's the time period on lost & found items for the employee who found, do they get after one month??

The time period is about one year. Generally, employees don't get to keep the items. They are either thrown out, or given to Goodwill.

If i took a black light to the beds in your hotel, would they be clean or would i find a bunch of stains?

Most likely. No hotel, mo matter how expensive or fancy they are will have some stains you can see with a black light. Heck, the bed in your house might be even worse! (But probably not :P)

how many noise complaints before a guest gets kicked from a hotel??

It depends on the guest. If they are not rude to employees or other guests, they will get three warnings. If they are rude, it cam be just one warning.

No, we deal with all complaints in the same manner.

Posted Image

#132 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

how often do people bitch at workers?

All the time. People like to think they are the king of the world and complain about any little thing, hoping to get a discount or something.

Posted Image

#133 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:52 AM

you're standing outside for a smoke break, or perhaps you stepped outside on your way to the mall, but you stop to look at your phone because your friend sends you a text message, but you continue to stand there to reply to it, when suddenly, someone barfs out their window 20 floors up. for whatever reason, i'll never know. has this ever happened to you?

This hasn't happened at my hotel job, but I used to work security for the Edmonton Capitals, our cities baseball team, and I got urinated on from someone up in the bleachers.

I ran up there, and threw his drunk ass out on his face. He broke some teeth, and was bleeding quite a bit, but because he was so drunk, he didn't even remember how it happened 5 min. later lol

Posted Image

#134 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

At what occupancy do you offer discounts for walk ins?
I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#135 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

I'm sorry, I don't work front desk so I don't know the answer to that question. I can ask my co workers later today, and If I find the answer, I'll let you know.

Posted Image

#136 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:49 PM

So, yeah.... kind of forgot about this question.

Walk in prices vary day-to-day in the hotel industry. If we are at a low occupancy, the prices are generally lower, and if a walk in really needs a room, we won't hesitate to give them a bit more of a discount. (getting $100 for a $160 room is better than getting nothing for it)
When the hotel is almost full.. we are talking like 99%, only two rooms left to sell full, I've seen the prices go up to $300 for a basic room, just because rooms are in high demand.

Posted Image

#137 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:52 PM

Have you ever had a guest who committed suicide/contemplated committing suicide at the hotel you work at?

So, there is a sad update to this question....

A couple of months ago, there was a missing elderly woman in the city. The Edmonton Police came to my hotel to notify me that she was staying in our hotel. I took the constables up to the room, and when we entered, we found her on the bed deceased. From what I was told from the coroner on site, she committed suicide by taking pills.

Posted Image

#138 TACIC

TACIC

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:16 AM

Anything weird happen since November? Any funny situations?
AUmxe4h.gif
Credit to JimLahey for this awesome sig

TACIC

Yes i am a Leafs fan too, DEAL WITH IT!!

Go Canucks Go!

#139 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:53 AM

Anything weird happen since November? Any funny situations?

Yes, there has been a couple... I'll tell you about this one event that happened last month, since it was the most weird.
(I'm not going to say the name of the organization out of respect)

We had a large group function over a weekend (Friday to Sunday) that involved a group of around 700 people and their religious cult gathering.

With this organization, they have a strict vegan diet, and cannot eat onions or garlic because it clouds their 'aurora'. They wear weird outfits and everyday has an assigned colour that you have to wear. The people came from all over the world (but manly from America, where this organization was formed back in the 80's) and they literally pay thousands of dollars to attend this 'religious retreat'.

They greet each other by hugging and saying hello for around 20 min, while thanking their gods that they can see their friend again. Most of their time was spend in the ballroom chanting, praying, crying and more hugging. They had a merchandise table that had weird books and CD;s selling for $70.

In their rooms, they wrapped the TV's, radios and windows with translucent coloured fabric, and a couple of them were talking to the flowers in the flower pots outside the hotel. (Like, honestly talking to them!!) They would always burn incense in their rooms, enough so that they set off the fire alarm once, and due to the smell, we had to tell them to stop, they were not happy about that.

Even though their religion was all about peace, harmony etc. they were VERY rude when things didn't go their way. When one woman tried to get her luggage back from storage, but left her luggage tag in her room, she yelled at me for not getting her bag, then said some weird prayer out loud then left. (we have to have the tag presented to retrieve the bag for security reasons)

I told one of the members that I had a job interview coming up, and in the middle of the lobby, herself and four other members put their hands on me and said, aloud, a prayer to their gods that I get the job. I also had a co worker who works in the restaurant who was pregnant at the time, and they kept touching and rubbing her belly (without consent) praying to the baby, and reading it;s aura.... she refused to come back into work until the group was gone.

The restaurant had to make a special menu for them, and since it had a lot of weird and new items to make, it took longer for the cooks to make them, resulting in long wait times. At the end of their retreat, a lot of the members would secretly order beef and beer to their rooms to eat in private. Since they are not allowed to have those kinds of food or drinks, if by chance another member of their group came into their room before the food got their, they would call and cancel, making us waste a lot of good food.

They may be crazy, but man, did they make the hotel a lot of money!

Edited by The Hornet, 21 June 2013 - 12:55 AM.

Posted Image

#140 etsen3

etsen3

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:43 PM

Do you ever play pranks on douchebag guests? If so what's the best one.

#141 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 08:51 PM

Do you ever play pranks on douchebag guests? If so what's the best one.

No.

No matter how rude or bad a guest can be, we are always as professional as we can be. There may be a reason why they are in town, such as a funeral, divorce, got fired from a job... etc... and that usually puts people in a sour mood.

Posted Image

#142 TGokou

TGokou

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 10:02 PM

Surprised this one hasn't been asked yet.

What's the best way to get free stuff/discount/upgrade?

My mother in law always asks for an upgrade by email prior to stay saying it's an anniversary or whatever and usually gets something. Does 'tipping' front desk tend to result in better upgrades and how often do you think this works?

#143 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:34 PM

Surprised this one hasn't been asked yet.

What's the best way to get free stuff/discount/upgrade?

My mother in law always asks for an upgrade by email prior to stay saying it's an anniversary or whatever and usually gets something. Does 'tipping' front desk tend to result in better upgrades and how often do you think this works?

Since I work in a 'business orientated' hotel in Edmonton... no one really does the old, slide a $20 at the front desk to get an upgrade kind of thing. Pretty much 99% of the time they have already booked their rooms in advance. If they don't have a reservation, and the hotel is pretty full, we can only give them what rooms we have.

However, when the hotel isn't very full or busy, depending on the situation we will give a little upgrade. You don't even have to tip any money. Being nice, and having a conversation is sometimes all it takes. A lot of the time people are in town for a birthday or anniversary, and if we find that out we tend to do an upgrade for their special night(s) in town. If we can't upgrade, I like to send up a card, chocolate strawberries and some champagne.

We then keep that information on the guests profile (when their birthday or anniversary is) and if they ever stay with us on one of those days again, a little screen will pop up when they check in letting us know it's their special day, and we should do something special for them.

A lot of people say that it pays to complain... those people are right. If you go in your room and find something wrong with it (even just a hair on the bed) if you make a big enough stink, we usually give out a free breakfast or dinner. The biggest complaint we have is noise from a nearby road, so people who frequent out hotel know that one side of the building is quieter than the other; and that is where most of our better rooms are.

But to be honest, a good way to get free stuff and benefits is to sign up for those free hotel rewards programs, especially if you stay at a certain brand all the time. After a certain amount of stays, you can get complementary upgrades, meals, late checkouts and more. It's a real simple way to get little perks.

Edited by The Hornet, 21 June 2013 - 11:37 PM.

Posted Image

#144 Captain Bob

Captain Bob

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 32,624 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:54 PM

I stayed in a hotel in San Francisco once. Checked in, got my room, opened the door to my room...... and there were clothes and suitcases everywhere. Luckily no people in the room, and VERY lucky they weren't... Anyways. I let the door close and went back down to the desk to notify them.

Does this happen often? How can something like this happen ?

#145 Captain Bob

Captain Bob

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 32,624 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 12:09 AM

I once stayed in the Coliseum Inn in Edmonton. Was that a mistake ?

#146 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,683 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 09:06 AM

I stayed in a hotel in San Francisco once. Checked in, got my room, opened the door to my room...... and there were clothes and suitcases everywhere. Luckily no people in the room, and VERY lucky they weren't... Anyways. I let the door close and went back down to the desk to notify them.

Does this happen often? How can something like this happen ?

It's not too common, but it does happen every now and then. Usually what happens is when housekeeping is in the room cleaning, they punch a code into the phone that tells the computer system that the room is clean, even if they haven't finished. Then they usually leave the room, do something else and forget about the half clean room they put in clean status.

Other times it might just be user error by the front desk clerks. They could of been in a rush and forgot to check them into a room, or could of set it up in the computer that two people would share the room. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does it's an embarrassment for everyone. Luckily most people are good about it.

I once stayed in the Coliseum Inn in Edmonton. Was that a mistake ?

That certain hotel has a bad rep for attracting the bad crowds, which it does. It's right across from Rexall Place, and near a bunch of bars. However, in the past few years, that hotel has gone over some pretty nice renovations, and is slowly starting to become quite a nice hotel, with not as many problems as in the past.

Posted Image

#147 Captain Bob

Captain Bob

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • 32,624 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 09:10 PM

It's not too common, but it does happen every now and then. Usually what happens is when housekeeping is in the room cleaning, they punch a code into the phone that tells the computer system that the room is clean, even if they haven't finished. Then they usually leave the room, do something else and forget about the half clean room they put in clean status.

Other times it might just be user error by the front desk clerks. They could of been in a rush and forgot to check them into a room, or could of set it up in the computer that two people would share the room. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does it's an embarrassment for everyone. Luckily most people are good about it.

Suitcases were still in the room, clothes still hanging in closet, so it wasn't a case of half clean. I'm just happy no one was in there, and especially doing something embarrassing.

That certain hotel has a bad rep for attracting the bad crowds, which it does. It's right across from Rexall Place, and near a bunch of bars. However, in the past few years, that hotel has gone over some pretty nice renovations, and is slowly starting to become quite a nice hotel, with not as many problems as in the past.

I stayed there during Grey Cup. The hotel was filled with Grey Cup fans, so it was all good. We were all there for the same reason, kept it safe. I could only imagine any other time of the year it would be scary.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.