The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

VAN-PHI

To VAN: Braden Schenn

To PHI: Chris Tanev+1st

Why VAN does this: Schenn is a very talented two-way player who will only continue to improve. He can slot in this year as 3rd line center, play PP time, and fill in the top-6 if we have injuries. He is also young and *gritty* (your call on that one).

Why PHI does this: They have many injuries on the back end with little/no fill in players or prospects coming in. Tanev slots in nicely in their backend and he can learn from some of the more veteran guys such as Pronger and Timonen. They also get a 1st round pick (albeit probably bottom 5) in a very deep, talented draft.

Overall:

I think Philly wouldn't do this trade due to the fact that they just acquired Luke Schenn. Sean Couturier would cost slightly more than this but would be a player I would love to have, however he is more untouchable than Schenn. Read is another guy to target if Schenn is unavailable, though he does not play center normally. I also think the Canucks underpay a bit in this deal. Perhaps add a weaker forward prospect (i.e. Labate)?

What do the wonderful folk of CDC have to say about this deal? Pull the trigger? How *realistic* (very loose term) is this?

I think it's pretty reasonable considering no massive contracts are going either way (i.e Ballard) Tanev is a reliable defender who could potentially be on a shut-down pairing with Schenn, to help keep the puck out of Bryzgalov's net.

Only question I have is if that pick is in 2013, or 2014. I'd much rather have it in 2014 because of how deep this year's draft is.If it is in 2014, then I like this trade.

We need offence, and Philadelphia needs defence. It's a win-win!!

Oh, and both teams have enough prospects that could "theoretically" fill the void of these players. Philadelphia has Cousins, and Laughton. While Vancouver has Connauton, and Sauve.

Only on CDC can u see spare parts get traded for future superstars. Where a non drafted 5th or 6th dman is worth a future first liner who was also the main guy coming back in a trade for their former captain. Philly is set to contend now, that late first rounder isn't gonna help them for until 2015 at the earliest. Yah, great trade. Can't see Holmgren not pulling the trigger on this one

I think it's pretty reasonable considering no massive contracts are going either way (i.e Ballard) Tanev is a reliable defender who could potentially be on a shut-down pairing with Schenn, to help keep the puck out of Bryzgalov's net.

Only question I have is if that pick is in 2013, or 2014. I'd much rather have it in 2014 because of how deep this year's draft is.If it is in 2014, then I like this trade.

We need offence, and Philadelphia needs defence. It's a win-win!!

Oh, and both teams have enough prospects that could "theoretically" fill the void of these players. Philadelphia has Cousins, and Laughton. While Vancouver has Connauton, and Sauve.

Archived