Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

what business is vancouver island lacking?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 CanuckGAME

CanuckGAME

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

Hey guys/gals

I'm thinking of opening a business either in Victoria, Duncan, or somewhere else in the island

What businesses do you think could succeed in these areas, that the areas are currently lacking? I'm hoping some of you can help me out by shedding some light

Thanks!

#2 biznasty

biznasty

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

Movie Theater in Duncan!

The Caprice is a dump.

Edited by biznasty, 09 November 2012 - 10:45 AM.

Posted Image

#3 GodzillaDeuce

GodzillaDeuce

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,123 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

cheaper ferries

well I'm sorry that gd is soo perfect

#4 I♥Wellwood

I♥Wellwood

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

Skip the business, make a victoria transit app. I can guarantee you that people will pay for it if apple sticks to its current maps app.

Posted Image

#5 Spitfire_Spiky

Spitfire_Spiky

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

Victoria needs a bowling alley, I went there for university and there just isn't one in town. Its very unfortunate.
Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest

#6 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,213 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

NHL Hockey Franchise?

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#7 literaphile

literaphile

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

IKEA

#8 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,970 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

Butt Scratcher store.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#9 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

cheaper ferries

I work for the ferries, and unless the boat is more than 60% full, they're losing money (which, is more often than not) hence, the cut in sailings. When you think about how much the other ferries (such as the coho, anecortes, and the clipper all out of victoria), it's really not that expensive. Plus, unlike the boats used in above examples, the conditions and quality of those boats aren't very good in comparison to bc ferries.

Missing out on a PF Changs. And a quality hockey team (no, the Royals are not quality)

Edited by schlaBAM, 09 November 2012 - 11:43 AM.

Posted Image

XBL: canucks4lyfe

#10 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,257 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

I work for the ferries, and unless the boat is more than 60% full, they're losing money (which, is more often than not) hence, the cut in sailings. When you think about how much the other ferries (such as the coho, anecortes, and the clipper all out of victoria), it's really not that expensive. Plus, unlike the boats used in above examples, the conditions and quality of those boats aren't very good in comparison to bc ferries.

Missing out on a PF Changs. And a quality hockey team (no, the Royals are not quality)

$72 for me to go from the lower mainland to the Island IS too much
Posted Image

#11 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

http://muginohointl.com/

BEARD PAPAS

You owe me 1% of all profits

Edited by hudson bay rules, 09 November 2012 - 12:00 PM.

I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#12 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

Not just the island but all of BC lacks manufacturing.

What's crazy is that we have steel quality coal and mines producing iron and a big port to ship from and we don't even make steel!

We have logs and don't even make all of it into lumber let alone furniture or cabinets.

And while not manufacturing the next business I would like to see is a large waste to energy facility.

#13 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:41 PM

Costs at BC ferries are out of control. As they increase ticket prices to account for this, less peole ride the ferries. A vicious cycle that needs to end by cutting costs.

#14 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,040 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

A pot cafe similar to the new Amsterdam would do well in Victoria

zWXdYPq.png

#15 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:15 PM

It's because you guys are over paid

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#16 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

Hey guys/gals

I'm thinking of opening a business either in Victoria, Duncan, or somewhere else in the island

What businesses do you think could succeed in these areas, that the areas are currently lacking? I'm hoping some of you can help me out by shedding some light

Thanks!

Seaweed distribution

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#17 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

If they didn't charge so friggin much the boat would generally be a lot more full....

#18 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,384 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

What I don't get is why people think its such a awful thing if BC ferries doesn't make money everywhere. Do people even realize how much taxpayers money goes into the highways they drive on. BC ferries is officially considered an extension of our highways system, if concrete highways can be subsidized why can't BC ferries?
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

#19 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,068 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

A pot cafe similar to the new Amsterdam would do well in Victoria

I mixed paint for the person opening a new Jupiter store downtown. Apparently there's one in Edmonton that's very popular.
Posted Image

#20 Down by the River

Down by the River

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

When I lived there (maybe it is different now), there was no coffee shop along Dallas Rd. I used to love walking around Ogden Point and Beacon Hill Park. Tonnes of people walk by their, and for me, walks are always better with a warm cup of coffee. There are houses along Dallas Rd. on the opposite side of the beach. Maybe one could be converted into a coffee shop? Upstairs for a bakery? Sounds kinda hippy-ish, but then again, that's generally the type of people who live in Victoria.

CDC is lucky to have such brilliant scouts:

I think Virtanen was a terrible pick given that he's out for 6 months which will hinder his development. You don't pick someone at #6 under that circumstance, along with the fact that he was given a 3/5 IQ (aka he's dumb). 

God dammit Benning. WHY VIRTANEN? Terrible move.

Down by the River - Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young.

#21 ChenWei91

ChenWei91

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

I've never been in BC, but you can never have enough adult stores.

(>'-')>Posted Image<('-'<)

#22 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

When I lived there (maybe it is different now), there was no coffee shop along Dallas Rd. I used to love walking around Ogden Point and Beacon Hill Park. Tonnes of people walk by their, and for me, walks are always better with a warm cup of coffee. There are houses along Dallas Rd. on the opposite side of the beach. Maybe one could be converted into a coffee shop? Upstairs for a bakery? Sounds kinda hippy-ish, but then again, that's generally the type of people who live in Victoria.

There's the Ogden Point Cafe. Only been once though and wasn't impressed.

I doubt you could get the zoning to convert a house into a coffee shop on Dallas Rd. I bet even trying would be a nightmare.

Reminds me of an old joke.

Q) How many Victorians does it take to change a light bulb?

A) 100, 1 to change the actual bulb. The other 99 to form a heritage committee and bitch to City Council about how much they liked the old one.

#23 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

What I don't get is why people think its such a awful thing if BC ferries doesn't make money everywhere. Do people even realize how much taxpayers money goes into the highways they drive on. BC ferries is officially considered an extension of our highways system, if concrete highways can be subsidized why can't BC ferries?

What I don't get is why people think it's so unfair to pay the full cost of a ferry ride. It's not like the people using the highway are immune to the rising cost of fuel nor is there any lack of taxes taken out of fuel (and soon to be tolls) to pay for said roads.

Never mind the silliness that people seem to forget the Island in the last decade got a massive highway upgrade themselves.

#24 pimpcurtly

pimpcurtly

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,366 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

I've got a great idea for a business but I want equity. ;)
Posted Image

#25 Peaches

Peaches

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,374 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

cheaper ferries

This for sure.

Prices at BC Ferries are ridiculous.

2qn360i.jpg

Feminism will be outlawed. Mostly because it's a backwards idiotic viewpoint that doesn't serve any real progressive purpose.

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#26 Aladeen

Aladeen

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,304 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

Not just the island but all of BC lacks manufacturing.

What's crazy is that we have steel quality coal and mines producing iron and a big port to ship from and we don't even make steel!

We have logs and don't even make all of it into lumber let alone furniture or cabinets.

And while not manufacturing the next business I would like to see is a large waste to energy facility.

LOL are you suggesting buddy opens up a Smelting plant or a Lumber Mill? Although perhaps good recommendations to beef up industry in our province on a whole I doubt that the OP was thinking of starting a business on the scale you are picturing.
Posted Image

#27 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,946 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

LOL are you suggesting buddy opens up a Smelting plant or a Lumber Mill? Although perhaps good recommendations to beef up industry in our province on a whole I doubt that the OP was thinking of starting a business on the scale you are picturing.

Well, I think were good service industry wise.......

#28 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,384 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

What I don't get is why people think it's so unfair to pay the full cost of a ferry ride. It's not like the people using the highway are immune to the rising cost of fuel nor is there any lack of taxes taken out of fuel (and soon to be tolls) to pay for said roads.

Never mind the silliness that people seem to forget the Island in the last decade got a massive highway upgrade themselves.

Do you honestly think gas taxes even come close to covering the full cost of roads? I know you know better then that.
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

#29 Mr.DirtyDangles

Mr.DirtyDangles

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,765 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

I know this will sound silly but the Island especially and the entire country of Canada needs eco tourism to explode. There are so many epic natural points of interest that I still do not think most Canadians even know of. Small private tour companies are huge in Alberta and South eastern BC. These small operations are raking it in. The only real hurdle is the insurance and certificates to transport the customers to and from terminals and destinations of awesomeness ! The Island is about the most beautiful place in all of Canada and Victoria needs to let the world know. That is how the Benjamin's will be made.

Edited by vanfan73, 09 November 2012 - 05:41 PM.

bmw-e30-m3-drift-o.gif

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society 

-Krishnamurti-            

#30 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

Victoria needs a bowling alley. I don't wanna go all the way to Langford to go bowling
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.