The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

what business is vancouver island lacking?

CanuckGAME

When I lived there (maybe it is different now), there was no coffee shop along Dallas Rd. I used to love walking around Ogden Point and Beacon Hill Park. Tonnes of people walk by their, and for me, walks are always better with a warm cup of coffee. There are houses along Dallas Rd. on the opposite side of the beach. Maybe one could be converted into a coffee shop? Upstairs for a bakery? Sounds kinda hippy-ish, but then again, that's generally the type of people who live in Victoria.

What I don't get is why people think its such a awful thing if BC ferries doesn't make money everywhere. Do people even realize how much taxpayers money goes into the highways they drive on. BC ferries is officially considered an extension of our highways system, if concrete highways can be subsidized why can't BC ferries?

Not just the island but all of BC lacks manufacturing.

What's crazy is that we have steel quality coal and mines producing iron and a big port to ship from and we don't even make steel!

We have logs and don't even make all of it into lumber let alone furniture or cabinets.

And while not manufacturing the next business I would like to see is a large waste to energy facility.

What I don't get is why people think it's so unfair to pay the full cost of a ferry ride. It's not like the people using the highway are immune to the rising cost of fuel nor is there any lack of taxes taken out of fuel (and soon to be tolls) to pay for said roads.

Never mind the silliness that people seem to forget the Island in the last decade got a massive highway upgrade themselves.

I know this will sound silly but the Island especially and the entire country of Canada needs eco tourism to explode. There are so many epic natural points of interest that I still do not think most Canadians even know of. Small private tour companies are huge in Alberta and South eastern BC. These small operations are raking it in. The only real hurdle is the insurance and certificates to transport the customers to and from terminals and destinations of awesomeness ! The Island is about the most beautiful place in all of Canada and Victoria needs to let the world know. That is how the Benjamin's will be made.

Ramen shops, izakayas, AYCE sushi, always thought a noodle place (pho, ramen) would make lots of money down at cadboro bay village down the hill from UVic, as there are a lot of international students and no place to go within walking distance. Fujiya on Shelbourne is far and it sucks in comparison to Sushi in Vancouver.

Archived