41 replies to this topic

#1 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,845 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:22 PM

David Petraeus resigns citing extra-marital affair as reason. Tongues will wag over this one, and his legacy will be closely examined, even by his own Conservative worshipers.

http://www.washingto...3684_story.html

Edited by Tearloch7, 09 November 2012 - 03:23 PM.

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#2 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

The CIA does all kinds of covert operations all over the world which will include:

1) murder

2) bribery

3) extortion

4) scamming

5) lying

etc..............

And the director of this lawless organization is resigning because of something in his personal life that has nothing to do with his job?

You have to be utterly DEADBOLT stupid to buy this. He obviously is at odds with the White House over Libya .
Posted Image

#3 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

David Petraeus resigns citing extra-marital affair as reason.

Does this mean his mistress has more time with him?

::D
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#4 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

The CIA does all kinds of covert operations all over the world which will include:

1) murder

2) bribery

3) extortion

4) scamming

5) lying

etc..............

And the director of this lawless organization is resigning because of something in his personal life that has nothing to do with his job?

You have to be utterly DEADBOLT stupid to buy this. He obviously is at odds with the White House over Libya .

Resignation at the CIA: Why Petraeus Had to Go

By Massimo CalabresiNov. 09, 2012

Posted Image Christy Bowe / Corbis
General David Petraeus attends his confirmation hearing for CIA Director at the Hart Senate Office Building in Washington D.C., June 23, 2011
General David Petraeus announced today that he has resigned as head of the CIA, citing an extramarital affair.
The idea of a senior figure in Washington resigning because of infidelity seems quaint in the post-Clinton era of David Vitter and other still-active public servants who’ve put scandals behind them. Attention will quickly turn to Petraeus’ struggles to establish himself at the agency, the traditional ill will between the CIA and the uniformed military and, of course, Petraeus’ handling of the Benghazi attack.
But the real reason Petraeus was done in by something so easily shrugged off by others in Washington is much simpler than that. In the world of spies, there is a short list of weaknesses you can exploit in your opponents; they include ideology, greed, indebtedness and infidelity. People have spent centuries figuring out how to get people to commit treason. Arguing that the other side is better for humanity, offering to help someone who’s deeply in debt or paying hard cash to the greedy are classic methods. But few are more effective than blackmail, and even in the post-Lewinsky era in Washington, infidelity leaves officials vulnerable.
You can’t lead an organization whose case officers must be impervious to blackmail if you’re vulnerable to it yourself.
Here’s Petraeus’ statement:

HEADQUARTERS Central Intelligence Agency
9 November 2012
Yesterday afternoon, I went to the White House and asked the President to be allowed, for personal reasons, to resign from my position as D/CIA. After being married for over 37 years, I showed extremely poor judgment by engaging in an extramarital affair. Such behavior is unacceptable, both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours. This afternoon, the President graciously accepted my resignation.
As I depart Langley, I want you to know that it has been the greatest of privileges to have served with you, the officers of our Nation’s Silent Service, a work force that is truly exceptional in every regard. Indeed, you did extraordinary work on a host of critical missions during my time as director, and I am deeply grateful to you for that.
Teddy Roosevelt once observed that life’s greatest gift is the opportunity to work hard at work worth doing. I will always treasure my opportunity to have done that with you and I will always regret the circumstances that brought that work with you to an end.
Thank you for your extraordinary service to our country, and best wishes for continued success in the important endeavors that lie ahead for our country and our Agency.
With admiration and appreciation,
David H. Petraeus

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#5 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,845 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:59 PM

You mean at odds over the fact the CIA was responsible for security at Benghazi, thus the misinformation fed to the State Department by the CIA trying to cover their collective arses? .. please, Master Bone .. educate us all with your theories ..

As soon as the light shines on "Betrayus" the Re-thugs will back off with their poking and probing? .. he was to be one of their Golden Boys and now he stuck his dick in it .. :rolleyes:

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#6 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

Been following this story today. What a way to throw away a great great career. The Gen was the most respected military man in America when he took the job as CIA director. His next job was likely to be chairman of joint chief of staff.

FBI had been tipped off and was investigating. The Gen. had no choice, he had to go to save face for the CIA where agents are trained not to fall for a "honey trap".

#7 thedestroyerofworlds

thedestroyerofworlds

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

hopefully the chick he was banging was an upgrade to his wife, not like some of the gutter pigs that ole Cheeta Woods (when you compare them to Tiger's ex-wife) got into

She had better have been worth it, to throw his career away.

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds, 09 November 2012 - 04:15 PM.

#8 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

hopefully the chick he was banging was an upgrade to his wife, not like some of the gutter pigs that ole Cheeta Woods (when you compare them to Tiger's ex-wife) got into

She had better have been worth it, to throw his career away.

No matter who this "chick" was or how she looked. She wasn't worth throwing away what he had made of his life.

#9 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

If the guy can't keep an affair quit he has no business running a spy agency.

Posted Image

This appears to be her, Paula Broadwell.

#10 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,845 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

Posted Image

"Attractive Biographer Blows Book Deal"?? .. rumor has it her nickname is Paula Spreadwell .. enquiring minds, eh? .. B)

#11 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

Posted Image

VS

Holly Patraeus

Posted Image

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 09 November 2012 - 06:21 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#12 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

dp

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 09 November 2012 - 06:20 PM.

#13 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

dp

Brings a whole new meaning in this thread.
virtus junxit mors non separabit.

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#14 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,845 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

VS

Holly Patraeus

Posted Image

What a world .. Holly Patraeus is universally praised for her work with Veterans and their families .. Wee David deserves every little thing that now will come his way .. as John Hiatt says "I'm just so easily lead, when the little head, does the thinkin" .. book by its cover and beauty being skin deep springs to mind .. :sadno:

#15 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 09 November 2012 - 06:46 PM.

#16 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

You mean at odds over the fact the CIA was responsible for security at Benghazi, thus the misinformation fed to the State Department by the CIA trying to cover their collective arses? .. please, Master Bone .. educate us all with your theories ..

As soon as the light shines on "Betrayus" the Re-thugs will back off with their poking and probing? .. he was to be one of their Golden Boys and now he stuck his dick in it .. :rolleyes:

You are acting like a child.
Posted Image

#17 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,845 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

You are acting like a child.

You use a term like DEADBOLT STUPID, and follow up by accusing someone who asks for your considered opinion a "child"? .. take the time to read behind the story before over-reacting in a petulant manner ..

Wee David is 1 for 2 in the Middle East .. successful surge by using billions of taxpayer dollars to buy off enough of the tribal opposition in Iraq to tip the scales ..

His strategy in the Afghan skirmish has been a complete failure ..

Someone said he's famous for "always leaving a dead dog on yer door", meaning when he assumed a new position, he did everything he could to make his predecessor look a failure, thus ensuring his success appeared even greater ..

The truth will come out .. hide behind your petulance, Master Bone .. fail to address the issue is fine .. but having you say anyone else is acting like a child is hypocritical beyond belief ..

A suggestion .. I will find my way to stop acting like a "child" when you stop acting like a "turd" .. :)

Edited by Tearloch7, 09 November 2012 - 06:35 PM.

#18 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

Yeah, Drybone, you're being condescending about what is your own, preposterous, unsubstantiated theory. It's not even like there's any logic to it, you've tied a D-CIA's departure with one of your own conspiracy theories, presented it as fact, then pre-emptively called everyone who wouldn't buy into it idiots in the hope that no one would call you out.

btw, umbrella is one of the stranger filters I've ever seen.

Edited by debluvscanucks, 09 November 2012 - 07:38 PM.
Clean up

#19 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

Yet you chose to use a swear filter bypass to circumvent the board rules anyway? Brilliant.

#20 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:10 PM

Yet you chose to use a swear filter bypass to circumvent the board rules anyway? Brilliant.

I do spend a considerable amount of my time concerned about whether there's going to be repercussions in my life for circumnavigating forum word filters. WHAT HAVE I DONE?! /eyerollemoticon

How else was I supposed to say umbrella?

#21 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

I do spend a considerable amount of my time concerned about whether there's going to be repercussions in my life for circumnavigating forum word filters. WHAT HAVE I DONE?! /eyerollemoticon

How else was I supposed to say umbrella?

Not to worry, I'm sure a supermod will be along to deal with the personal attack along with the swear filter bypass.

Re: how else are you supposed to say 'umbrella'. Well, 1) you could skip the personal attack altogether and 2) try experimenting with language that is acceptable to be posted here. Voila.........

#22 coleman26

coleman26

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

:rolleyes:

If the worst thing that a supermod can talk to me about is the use of one borderline naughty word and shooting back at someone, I'm sure I'll be fine. This forum wouldn't still be here if people weren't allowed to disagree. Why don't you stop doing their jobs, like you said, surely they'll be around to talk to me regarding my insolence soon.

#23 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

Compare this to William Jefferson Clinton and Ms. Lewinsky

Bill kept his day job and has gone on to be the patriarch of the Democratic Party.

I suppose it all depends upon what your definition of "is" is, eh?

To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#24 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

Posted Image

Did anyone else notice how mangled/zombie like her fingers look? Or is it just me?

#25 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:37 PM

VS

Holly Patraeus

Posted Image

Paula Broadwell was the co-author with Vernon Loeb of All In: The Education of General David Petraeus - Patraeus' biography and she lives in Charlotte NC with a husband and 2 boys
http://en.wikipedia....Paula_Broadwell

Posted Image

Posted Image

Her husband (perhaps not for long??):
Posted Image

She was reportedly under investigation by the FBI for illegally trying to access the General's e-mail. That may well be how the affair came to light.

Oh for the good old days when J. Edgar just kept this sort of stuff in his secret files.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#26 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

Can't really blame the guy the one woman is far more attractive. Then again choose your mate wisely. If you don't think you can be attracted for life don't bother getting married.

Edited by Special Ed, 09 November 2012 - 09:02 PM.

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#27 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

Can't really blame the guy the one woman is far more attractive. Then again choose your mate wisely. If you don't think you can be attracted for life don't bother getting married.

Men by nature are not monogamous... at least that is what I told my ex-wife. ::D

#28 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

Men by nature are not monogamous... at least that is what I told my ex-wife. ::D

Lol @ ex-wife. Well I for one will probably marry a woman much younger... Then it's just a matter of keeping myself in shape :P

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#29 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:34 AM

Compare this to William Jefferson Clinton and Ms. Lewinsky

Bill kept his day job and has gone on to be the patriarch of the Democratic Party.

I suppose it all depends upon what your definition of "is" is, eh?

Right on wetcoaster .

Here is an australian prime minister who had an affair with his biographer , and is considered a patriach of the australian labour party .

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#30 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

And the conspiracy crowd is out in full force over the resignation.

Posted Image

Gen. David Petraeus’s sudden resignation as CIA director on Friday quickly ignited widespread speculation among media pundits and journalists about whether the White House had stalled the bombshell announcement until the election was over and some wondered if there was a Libya connection.

“Petraeus resignation. Timing, everything suspicious,” tweeted Rupert Murdoch, the CEO and founder of News Corp. “There has to be more to this story.”

Dana Perino, the former White House spokeswoman for President George W. Bush, noted on Fox News that Petraeus’s announcement came several days before Senate hearings on the attacks on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, at which he was supposed to testify but now no longer will be.

“Five days before the [Benghazi] hearing … it does legitimately raise some eyebrows,” Perino said.

Others on Twitter pointed to news reports highlighting the CIA’s connection to the Benghazi Consulate that came under attack.

“COINCIDENCE?! Petraeus is set to testify NEXT week at a closed door session on Capitol Hill abt Benghazi. Did BHO push him out? This stinks!” tweeted conservative radio host Laura Ingraham.

Ben Shapiro of the conservative Breitbart.com thought the Obama administration was involved and had covered up the news until after the election.

“This is only the latest in a string of groundshaking events demonstrating that the Obama administration hid information vital to the American people during the last days of the 2012 election cycle,” he wrote. “The fact that the most respected soldier of his generation, Petraeus, would be leaving the administration during an Obama second term, had to be known by the White House prior to the election. And they said nothing in order to run out the clock.”

After reports emerged on Friday night that the FBI had at some point begun an investigation after receiving a tip about Petraeus’s affair, Steve Hayes of the Weekly Standard said it was important to find out who knew and when they knew it.

“If [FBI director Robert] Mueller kept it from the president or the president kept it from the country, it’s a huge scandal,” Hayes said on Fox News.

And it wasn’t just conservatives raising questions.

“Petraeus: cheating husband or scapegoat on #Benghazi?” tweeted Elise Labott, a foreign affairs reporter for CNN.

Noam Scheiber of The New Republic asked, “In practice, is there really such low tolerance for spies who have affairs? I’d be shocked if so.”

“The substantive case for stepping down seems to be that you can blackmail an adulterer. But can you once the lapse is known?” tweeted The Washington Post’s Ezra Klein. “IE, if Petraeus admitted the affair to his wife and perhaps the WH, what good would the blackmail do?”

Still, Petraeus had some high-profile defenders. Among them: Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), who released a statement in the general’s defense. “We are immensely grateful for General Petraeus’s decades of work on behalf of our nation, our military, and our security,” the statement read in part. “Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.”

Max Boot, the neoconservative foreign and military policy expert, also had kind words for Petraeus.

“#Petraeus has devoted his life to serving America. Few have done it better,” he tweeted. “Let’s keep that in mind as wolves circle.”

But speculation continued to swirl.

“Presumably, he could have resigned without the confession. So why did he offer it? wrote Paul Mirengoff at the conservative blog PowerLine. “…First, the confession could have been an attempt to preempt the theory that his resignation is Benghazigate related — it provides an alternative explanation. Second, the confession eliminates the opportunity for others (such as folks in the White House) to try to influence his future conduct, including potential statements and/or testimony about Benghazi.”

The conservative blogger Allahpundit raised a slew of questions at HotAir.com, in a series of updates.

“Why would an affair mean that he couldn’t run the CIA anymore? Was he being blackmailed? Or is there more to it than this? Stand by for updates,” Allahpundit wrote in an early post.

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=D3C74142-3903-4771-B77B-05D32152BAB5

Edited by Wetcoaster, 11 November 2012 - 01:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.