14 replies to this topic

#1 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:08 PM

The racist nut job from Saskatchewan escaped his criminal trial for promoting hatred but ended up going to jail for breaching a court order.
http://forum.canucks...forum-messages/

Hopefully the BC Crown will not drag out the case of Arthur Topham of Quesnel so long the charges must be stayed against him. Arthur Topham was first arrested in May 2012 and released. After a six month investigation a hate propaganda charge Section 319 of the Criminal Code has been laid against him.

The publisher of a British Columbia website that has drawn repeated complaints over its portrayals of Jews has been charged with promoting hatred following a six-month police investigation, officials said Tuesday.

Arthur Topham, 65, was charged with a single count of wilfully promoting hatred against “people of the Jewish religion or ethnic group,” as well as improper storage of firearms found in his house near Quesnel, B.C.

“The branch has approved charges against him,” said Neil MacKenzie of the B.C. Criminal Justice Branch. He said the province’s assistant deputy attorney general had sign off on the hate-crimes charge.

Topham was to make a court appearance Thursday.

“We’re glad that the government and the police have taken our concerns seriously and proceeded,” said Anita Bromberg of B’nai Brith Canada, which had asked police to investigate the website last May.

Topham is a miner and is listed as secretary of the Cariboo Mining Association. He also publishes Radical Press, a website that posts materials with conspiracy theory themes such as the “Biological Jew” and the “Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion.”

The Biological Jew depicts Jews as parasites that suck the blood from their “host” societies while the Protocols is a fraudulent book that purports to describe a conspiracy for worldwide Jewish domination.

In May, Harry Abrams, a B’nai Brith volunteer in Victoria, and Ottawa lawyer Richard Warman both complained to police about the website. Warman’s complaint said both the Biological Jew and the Protocols were banned from import into Canada as hate propaganda.

“When you’ve got that kind of just rabid attack against the Jewish community, I think it’s incumbent on people to stand up in society,” said Warman, who regularly files complaints about racist websites.

Police arrested Topham and questioned him on May 16. According to a transcript of his police interview that was posted online, he asked the investigating officer, Det. Const. Terry Wilson of the B.C. Hate Crime Team, whether he had been trained in Tel Aviv or whether Mossad had come to Canada to train him.

He lectured the officer about how Jews “control what you’re doing” and said they had “created the unit you’re working for.” He asked the officer if he was a Christian and scolded him for what he was doing.

“These guys have spent the last 2,000 years trying to destroy our religion, and you like a Judas are out here like a, like one of their dogs chasing down people who are trying to defend the Christian religion,” he said. “You ought to be ashamed of yourself.”

Doug Christie, Topham’s defence lawyer, confirmed in an email his client had been formally charged. Asked if he wanted to comment, Christie responded: “Opposition to Zionism should not be illegal.”

But Bromberg said the website went well beyond that. “This isn’t a free speech issue about the politics behind Israel. It is borrowing on age-old canards that raise our concerns that this is designed to spread hate,” she said. “Our concerns were valid, they were carefully considered by the police and obviously, because these were hate-crimes charges, by the attorney-general.”

Topham announced on his website he had been charged. He portrayed himself as a defender of free speech and asked for donations. “Judging from the wording of this indictment it looks like it’s going to be a battle between the Christians and the Jews,” he wrote.

Complaints about Radical Press go back to 2007, when B’nai Brith took the website to the Canadian Human Rights Commission. But the case stalled due to uncertainty over the law. Police assumed sole responsibility for investigating hate-crimes complaints about websites after the Conservatives voted in June to repeal a law that had previously allowed the rights commission to deal with such matters.

http://www.theprovin...l#axzz2BnJbdU83

In a seemingly odd turn of events Ezra Levant who is Jewish of the Sun News Network is siding with Topham as he interviews Topham's lawyer Doug Christie who has defended the likes of Holocaust Deniers Ernst Zundel and James Keegstra in the past.

Maybe not so odd when you learn that Ezra Levant is under investigation for the same offence with which Topham is charged by the Toronto Police in respect of comments he has made about Roma people.

Roma group’s complaint against Ezra Levant prompts Toronto police investigation

Published on Wednesday October 24, 2012
Jeff Green
Staff Reporter

A complaint about broadcaster Ezra Levant’s rant that likened Gypsies to “swindlers” has prompted a Toronto police investigation.

Toronto’s Roma Community Centre, which has called the rant “overtly racist, prejudicial, and demeaning,” lodged the complaint with police on Oct. 11.

Const. Wendy Drummond confirmed Toronto police had received the complaint and were investigating the comments aired on Levant’s Sun News show, The Source, on Sept. 5.

OPINION: Stop vilifying Roma refugees

An Oct. 15 statement from Roma Community Centre executive director Gina Csányi-Robah described Levant’s comments as “nearly nine minutes of on-air racist hate-speech targeting our community.”

Early in Levant’s segment, “The Jew vs. the Gypsies,” he likened Gypsies with “swindlers,” and said “too many have come here as false refugees.”

Levant attempted to qualify his comments by saying politically correct terms are being used to obscure the truth.
Csányi-Robah said called the comments “one of the longest and most sustained on-air broadcasts of hate-speech against any community in Canada that we’ve witnessed since our organization was established in 1997.”

http://www.thestar.c...e-investigation

Edited by Wetcoaster, 09 November 2012 - 11:18 PM.

To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#2 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

We here in Quesnel have always known Topham was a wack job and the local paper finally stopped printing his drivel in the Letters To the Editor section. I've had the unfortunate experience of meeting Arthur Topham and he is a scary individual. In all his hatred against those of the Jewish faith and his misguided defense of the Christian faith, he has conveniently, (in his deluded state), forgotten that Jesus was a Jew.

The best thing they could do with Topham is up his meds or lock him up with no access to the internet or media. Locals here have watched his ideas spin further and further out of the realm of reality and for the most part, rolled their eyes at his latest public offerings. However, I don't think many of us realized how ugly his writings had become.

He deserves to face the repercussions for, and take the consequences of, his public and published rantings.

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 09 November 2012 - 11:31 PM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#3 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:35 PM

We here in Quesnel have always known Topham was a wack job and the local paper finally stopped printing his drivel in the Letters To the Editor section. I've had the unfortunate experience of meeting Arthur Topham and he is a scary individual. In all his hatred against those of the Jewish faith and his misguided defense of the Christian faith, he has conveniently, (in his deluded state), forgotten that Jesus was a Jew.

The best thing they could do with Topham is up his meds or lock him up with no access to the internet or media. Locals here have watched his ideas spin further and further out of the realm of reality and for the most part, rolled their eyes at his latest public offerings. However, I don't think many of us realized how ugly his writings had become.

He deserves to face the repercussions for, and take the consequences of, his public and published rantings.

These are the sorts of nut jobs that can go off the deep end and then you read about a bunch of people dead because they are so delusional they think they are "on a mission from God" (Blues Brothers reference). He was also charged with a firearms offence if you noted the paper.

And if you watched the video of Levant interviewing Doug Christie and the report on his Roma screed, he is as loathsome as Topham. Racism is not limited to crazy old white fundamentalist Christian guys.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

#4 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,056 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

Crazy man and although I don't respect with what he says at all, he should be able to share his opinion without being charged. We all have the right as long as he's not physically harming someone.

Also, rather than giving him attention we should just ignore him.

There's a famous saying for this:

Posted Image

Edited by Armada, 10 November 2012 - 12:26 AM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#5 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:33 AM

Do you remember him as a substitute teacher....this might be going back 10-15 years..still I remember him being a harmless dope-smoking hippie. However in recent years he's gotten more outspoken and needed a punch in the mouth. Unfortunately no one gave it to him on time. If he wants to travel that route, that aggressively, he deserves whatever he gets.

#6 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,833 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:41 AM

Providing that "free speech" does not instigate, or initiate, "free action" I am all for it .. unfortunately, when one persons "speech" can motivate someone else to take "action" against another, for no other reason than the colour of their skin, or the "God" they happen to worship, then "speech" and "action" must be construed as "one" ..

If your words motivate another person to perform a harmful act, then you,too, shall share the burden of punishment ..

P.S. Quesnel has always had its "eccentrics" .. the Internets just gives 'em exposure .. :rolleyes:

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#7 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:47 AM

Do you remember him as a substitute teacher....this might be going back 10-15 years..still I remember him being a harmless dope-smoking hippie. However in recent years he's gotten more outspoken and needed a punch in the mouth. Unfortunately no one gave it to him on time. If he wants to travel that route, that aggressively, he deserves whatever he gets.

Scary to think of him being in a classroom but that was back in his harmless, old dope-smoking hippy days. At least everyone thought he was a harmless, old dope-smoking hippy back then!

WC - the thought of him having access to guns with that thought process going on is scarey at the very least.....unfortunately we have a few squirrely folk up here with access to firearms....safely stored ............and not!

P.S. Quesnel has always had its "eccentrics" .. the Internets just gives 'em exposure .. :rolleyes:

Chris Kempling, nuff said! :lol:

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 10 November 2012 - 12:51 AM.

#8 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,833 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:53 AM

Scary to think of him being in a classroom but that was back in his harmless, old dope-smoking hippy days. At least everyone thought he was a harmless, old dope-smoking hippy back then!

WC - the thought of him having access to guns with that thought process going on is scarey at the very least.....unfortunately we have a few squirrely folk up here with access to firearms....safely stored ............and not!

Oh no BB .. I was thinking of you .. (warmest possible hug) .. :lol:

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#9 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,927 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:54 AM

I'm pretty sure almost everyone on Stormfront could get charged with the same thing then, no?
Posted Image

#10 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:54 AM

Oh no BB .. I was thinking of you .. (warmest possible hug) .. :lol:

:lol:

But you rolled your eyes! :frantic:

Warm Cariboo hug back! :P

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 10 November 2012 - 12:55 AM.

#11 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

I agree with Armada, He should be allowed to speak his mind regardless of how much we all dislike what he has to say. Is there a limit to what opinion people should be allowed to put forth? I dont believe there is. Obviously the Government thinks differently.

Posted Image

#12 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:57 AM

We can deplore speech without criminalizing it. Prosecuting something like this just draws attention to the literature in question and makes a martyr out of the guy gives people a bigger podium.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#13 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,833 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:59 AM

:lol:

But you rolled your eyes! :frantic:

Warm Cariboo hug back! :P

I did not roll my eyes .. I was trying to wink, but I have a wandering eye .. B)

Edited by Tearloch7, 10 November 2012 - 01:04 AM.

#14 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:05 AM

I agree with Armada, He should be allowed to speak his mind regardless of how much we all dislike what he has to say. Is there a limit to what opinion people should be allowed to put forth? I dont believe there is. Obviously the Government thinks differently.

As does the supreme law of Canada see Section 1 of the Charter. I dealt with this issue in the other thread about the Saskatchewan hate monger who was jailed.

There is no such thing as unlimited freedom of speech - we have laws against defamation, threats, etc.

The Charter is clear that there are limits on all rights and freedoms - in fact it is Section 1 of the Charter:

1. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.

Even in that alleged bastion of free speech, the US of A there is a maxim pronounced by Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes (one of the staunchest defenders of civil rights) of the SCOTUS:

The most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man falsely shouting fire in a theater and causing a panic. [...] The question in every case is whether the words used are used in such circumstances and are of such a nature as to create a clear and present danger that they will bring about the substantive evils that Congress has a right to prevent.

Schenck v. United States, 249 U.S. 47 (1919)

And as this ongoing case that just began this week following the election of President Obama - freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences - legal, civil and personal.

A 22-year-old woman has been fired from her job and reported to the Secret Service after writing on her Facebook page her hopes that President Obama is assassinated in his second term in office.

'And another 4 years of the (N-word). Maybe he will get assassinated this term..!!'

Denise Helms of Turlock, California wrote immediately after the president's re-election on Tuesday.

'I didn't think it'd be that big of a deal,' she told KTXL on Thursday while visibly shaken up, but unapologetic and unsure of what she did wrong.

'The assassination part is harsh and I'm not saying that I would go and do that or anything like that by any means but if it was to happen I don't think I would care one bit,' she said.

Now fired from her job at a local Cold Stone Creamery on Thursday, the post was described as disgusting by the store's director who told the Modesto Bee that when he arrived to work he had more than 20 angry voice messages on his company’s machine directed toward Ms Helms.

‘We made the decision because of her comments, but also the community feedback,' said Director Chris Kegle who had employed Ms Helms for less than one year.

'We are very into working with the community and doing community service. So when your community does not like you because of an employee, that's bad. We have a business to run.'

Despite all this, she said she wouldn't take her comments back.

The Modesto Bee reports Ms Helms being a fan of Republican rival Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan’s campaign according to her Facebook page but report her not registered in the state’s registry to vote.

Asked by KTXL if she’s racist after additionally using the N-word in referring to Obama, she defended herself as not, but also didn't disagree with herself using it.

That disagreement was in sharp contrast to Twitter users across the country, however, who angrily branded her Facebook post among a list of others titled: 'Yes, You're Racist.'

Secret Service Agent Scott Gillingham in Sacramento says Ms Helms’ post is being investigated with threats against the president having the potential to lead to felony charges.

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2Bm7MleRA

#15 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,953 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

Here's proof of what a lifetime of smoking dope does too a person.

Secondly talking about guns, two of my buddies pulled into the wrong driveway in Hixon and had the truck they were in shot 6 times. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.