#1 George_Costanza

George_Costanza

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:53 AM

POPULAR

With the recent, confirmed story of Francesco Aquilini travelling to meet Pavel Bure to work out a jersey retiring got me to thinking how lucky we are as fans to have the Aquilini group as the Canucks ownership.

This ownership group has been fantastic with spending the money to give us the best chance at competing for the cup along with making many beneficial contributions to the community.

Thanks Francesco and co.!!

Regards,

Canucks fan
Posted Image

#2 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

Aquilini, please help solve the lockout issue instead of going to eat lunch with Bure!

#3 TACIC

TACIC

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

I love you!(sometimes)
Posted Image
Credit to JimLahey for this awesome sig

TACIC

Yes i am a Leafs fan too, DEAL WITH IT!!

#4 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,735 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

He is the best owner this orgainization has had since the griffith's.
Posted Image

#5 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

I love the Acquilini's! I just hope Gillis, on the other hand can work some magic this offseason and in the draft and put this team over the top.
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#6 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,768 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

Remembering the doom 'n gloom haters when Faq was rumoured to be taking over. Not sure how he could've been worse or as uncaring as McCaw, but needless to say, those haters have grown silent.

Meanwhile, we hate McCaw, but he kept the franchise afloat during the brutal economic times that saw the Jets and Nords leave. Golf claps.
Posted Image

#7 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

I love the Acquilini's! I just hope Gillis, on the other hand can work some magic this offseason and in the draft and put this team over the top.

Well Unfortunately Gillis can't do anything until they have a new Cba.We really don't know for sure what the salary cap will be or even know if they are going to push ufa up for any other details in the new contract will definately change how Gillis will run this team.

Edited by canacks1970, 10 November 2012 - 12:28 PM.

#8 canacks1970

canacks1970

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,611 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

I really think he's trying to get us over the hump zoolander. And what can Gillis do in the draft when your always picking in the 22 plus as your first pick. It all depends on what other teams are looking for if Gillis wants to move up in the draft. Thats why he ask the owner to put more money in scouting and player developement.
And what really helps is that the Acquilini's were hockey fans first before they became Owners. That maybe the big difference as to why they invest so much into this hockey team.

Edited by canacks1970, 10 November 2012 - 12:32 PM.

#9 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,228 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:51 PM

Acquilini actually cares about winning. Reminds me of this old story from the San Jose series in 2011. I am sure many have read this before but it's brilliantly written and highly entertaining and worth another read. How many other owners in the league would do this?

http://deadspin.com/...mped-for-game-5

Here's a little bit from the story.......

We see a limo pull up to the bar and out steps Francesco Aquilini, the owner of the Vancouver Canucks, his two buddies, and the three hottest girls I have ever seen. They walk in and for whatever reason are drawn to us. We offer them a seat at our table and they sit with us.
Posted Image

3:30 p.m.
The girls that came in with the Canucks brass think we are cool and continue to sit with us. One of the guys brings over a bottle of Patron and 20 shot glasses and fills them all up. This is the very last thing I remember. Everything else my buddies filled me in on the next day.

I grab a shot and spill it on one of the girls. She yells "party foul" and says I have to take a shot. I down it. She says "again." I down another shot. She says "again." I down another shot. In the end I did six or seven shots of tequila straight. Keep in mind that I've already drunk seven tallboys, a Jägerbomb, and at least a triple vodka-cran, and I haven't eaten or slept in 36 hours.

We tell Aquilini's friend our story of how we got to the game. He thinks it's the coolest thing ever and tells Francesco our story about five times (he has been drinking as well). They all think it's pretty awesome that we drove straight down, so they get our names, and tell us there will be tickets for us at will call for Game 5 back in Vancouver in two days. They ask how we are getting home from San Jose. Jared tells them that we drove down and are going to drive home again in the morning. This answer is unacceptable. They insist we get on the airplane with them. We say we can't because Jared's car is in San Jose. Their solution is to buy Jared a new car once we get back to Vancouver. Jared and Cody stand and debate whether they should actually get in the limo with them. At this point I am sitting at the bar in a half-comatose state. Aquilini and his entourage leave. We think we are legends.

Edited by nuckin_futz, 10 November 2012 - 12:55 PM.

#10 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,116 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

The Griffiths had their hearts in the right place but were rather clueless with some of their hiring.

The Acquilinis hired Gillis who at least played the game at a high level. He invested money in the org infrastructure which has IMHO paid big dividends for Canuck players and those in the minors.

#11 Stefan

Stefan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,390 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

I don't appreciate the outrageous ticket prices but I appreciate they spend to the cap ceiling and want to win.

gallery_9059_470_12899.jpg

(1 Peter 2:18)

Slaves, be subject to your masters with all reverence, not only to those who are good and equitable but also to those who are perverse.

#12 JoeyFromBeantown

JoeyFromBeantown

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

amen brother! has to be near the best, or they are the best ownership group in the NHL.

#13 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,768 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

The 'best' ones are in Bettman's inner circle.

Not sure where Faq ranks, but i don't think it's that high. Then again 25-27 owners are excluded.
Posted Image

#14 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

If I was one of the multi-billion dollar having owners I would just say "heres 350 million dollars, shut the frack up and sign the CBA you useless chodes"

Posted Image

#15 Mountain Man

Mountain Man

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:41 AM

If I was one of the multi-billion dollar having owners I would just say "heres 350 million dollars, shut the frack up and sign the CBA you useless chodes"

No, no you wouldn't.
virtus junxit mors non separabit.

Hockey season must be back on, the crazies are coming out again....

#16 George_Costanza

George_Costanza

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

Aquilini is most certainly one of the owners who wanted the season to start on time. Unfortunately Count Chocula rules the league.
Posted Image

#17 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

I like him. But seriously, make stuff cheaper at the games.
Posted Image

#18 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

All I know is that there's a lockout in the NHL and no owner has stepped up. So, as far as I'm concerned my anger and frustration at the general direction of all NHL owners include our own Aquilinis. Retiring Bure's jersey is nice... but it wasn't Aquilini's decision btw; there's an "independent" board who decides. I think Bure's induction into HHOF is what stimulated the decision, not necessarily Aquilinis decision.

#19 Markus Alexander Cody

Markus Alexander Cody

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,640 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

I like him. But seriously, make stuff cheaper at the games.

It's good to know he's spending some of the money he makes from concessions and merchandise and ticket pricing into what the fans of the city wants and that's competitive hockey. At least he's making an investment on our team to improve our hockey club and not keep all the money he makes. It's good to know that an owner actually cares about something he owns and not just look at it as if its another money-grabbing investment.

Posted Image

credit to allons-y

Certainly going to be our #1 defensemen. Give him a couple more years to improve his game and he'll be our new and improved version of Matthias Ohlund in no time

Posted Image

^Truth

#20 JoeyFromBeantown

JoeyFromBeantown

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

It's good to know he's spending some of the money he makes from concessions and merchandise and ticket pricing into what the fans of the city wants and that's competitive hockey. At least he's making an investment on our team to improve our hockey club and not keep all the money he makes. It's good to know that an owner actually cares about something he owns and not just look at it as if its another money-grabbing investment.

couldn't agree more sir!

#21 RWMc1

RWMc1

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

From my perspective, Aquillini is the best owner this franchise has ever had. He is doing more to create a winning team than all the others.

It may sound like hypocrisy because I support a boycott of merchandise and certain owners core businesses. I wrestled with this for quite a while before I decided to voice these opinions. I finally decided that Aquillini is sitting in a very comfortable position and could weather this better than many other owners. If we have a long Playoff run, then merchandise will take off again and he won't really be affected.

Vancouver Canucks Stanley Cup Champions 2014/15 So let it be written, So let it be done!

My Cup Runneth. Go get it and bring it here!

Cupquester "Who are those horrible little men?"

#22 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

I never said that he isn't giving us the best team that he can, and isn't willing to spend the money. But, if he was the decrease prices of food and beverages by 20%, he wouldn't notice significantly. Take a beer, let's say it's roughly $7.00? Now it's $5.60, that's an appropriate price and gives more money towards food. And merch, which is still quite expensive.

I'm thinking of myself, who doesn't have much money for sport outtings and those like me.

Edited by thehamburglar, 15 November 2012 - 10:07 PM.

Posted Image

#23 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:45 PM

Make no mistake about it, winning is part of the big picture of making money in this investment.

#24 Slegr

Slegr

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,632 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

I think Aquilini is just doing what any smart owner would do - trying to get the most skilled player the franchise has ever had to be supportive of the franchise.

Quinn should be the one who really gets noticed - he's gone way out of his way in getting Bure into the HHOF, and publicly crediting him for his greatness.

It's worth the investment for Aquilini to pursue, and he knows it. Think about Orr's presence in the audience when the Canucks faced the Bruins in the finals. It got the crowd going, it got the players going, and it helped the Bruins kick our butts in Boston.
"I knew we had a great team. I told everyone if we play as a group, we can win it all. Everyone laughed. Now we're laughing."
-Jiri Slegr

#25 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:16 AM

Aquilini - or any of the other owners that want to play - would really be smart to speak up and put some pressure on the NHL to get a deal done. Even if it were to result in a $1M fine, the amount of goodwill received towards the organization would be massive.

#26 RAMBUTANS

RAMBUTANS

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:38 AM

There is a lock-out voted unanimously by the owners.

You make an appreciation thread.

Heck, you deseve the lock-out.

Have fun.
Mr. Reputable of the HFBoards

#27 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

There is a lock-out voted unanimously by the owners.

You make an appreciation thread.

Heck, you deseve the lock-out.

Have fun.

Right on mate .

I do not appreciate not being able to watch Hockey .

In fact it is really starting to piss me off .

For years i have been trying to get my friends here in australia to share my love of hockey , and with the canucks run at the cup , this was starting to happen .

Now they just think the NHL is a joke , and everyone invovled is a greedy bunch of SOB's

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#28 BananaMash

BananaMash

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,082 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

Aquilini's are my favorite pasta.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.