The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aquilini Appreciation Thread

George_Costanza

With the recent, confirmed story of Francesco Aquilini travelling to meet Pavel Bure to work out a jersey retiring got me to thinking how lucky we are as fans to have the Aquilini group as the Canucks ownership.

This ownership group has been fantastic with spending the money to give us the best chance at competing for the cup along with making many beneficial contributions to the community.

Thanks Francesco and co.!!

Regards,

Canucks fan

Remembering the doom 'n gloom haters when Faq was rumoured to be taking over. Not sure how he could've been worse or as uncaring as McCaw, but needless to say, those haters have grown silent.

Meanwhile, we hate McCaw, but he kept the franchise afloat during the brutal economic times that saw the Jets and Nords leave. Golf claps.

I really think he's trying to get us over the hump zoolander. And what can Gillis do in the draft when your always picking in the 22 plus as your first pick. It all depends on what other teams are looking for if Gillis wants to move up in the draft. Thats why he ask the owner to put more money in scouting and player developement.

And what really helps is that the Acquilini's were hockey fans first before they became Owners. That maybe the big difference as to why they invest so much into this hockey team.

Acquilini actually cares about winning. Reminds me of this old story from the San Jose series in 2011. I am sure many have read this before but it's brilliantly written and highly entertaining and worth another read. How many other owners in the league would do this?

http://deadspin.com/...mped-for-game-5

Here's a little bit from the story.......

We see a limo pull up to the bar and out steps Francesco Aquilini, the owner of the Vancouver Canucks, his two buddies, and the three hottest girls I have ever seen. They walk in and for whatever reason are drawn to us. We offer them a seat at our table and they sit with us.

medium_aquilini.jpg

3:30 p.m.

The girls that came in with the Canucks brass think we are cool and continue to sit with us. One of the guys brings over a bottle of Patron and 20 shot glasses and fills them all up. This is the very last thing I remember. Everything else my buddies filled me in on the next day.

I grab a shot and spill it on one of the girls. She yells "party foul" and says I have to take a shot. I down it. She says "again." I down another shot. She says "again." I down another shot. In the end I did six or seven shots of tequila straight. Keep in mind that I've already drunk seven tallboys, a Jägerbomb, and at least a triple vodka-cran, and I haven't eaten or slept in 36 hours.

We tell Aquilini's friend our story of how we got to the game. He thinks it's the coolest thing ever and tells Francesco our story about five times (he has been drinking as well). They all think it's pretty awesome that we drove straight down, so they get our names, and tell us there will be tickets for us at will call for Game 5 back in Vancouver in two days. They ask how we are getting home from San Jose. Jared tells them that we drove down and are going to drive home again in the morning. This answer is unacceptable. They insist we get on the airplane with them. We say we can't because Jared's car is in San Jose. Their solution is to buy Jared a new car once we get back to Vancouver. Jared and Cody stand and debate whether they should actually get in the limo with them. At this point I am sitting at the bar in a half-comatose state. Aquilini and his entourage leave. We think we are legends.

All I know is that there's a lockout in the NHL and no owner has stepped up. So, as far as I'm concerned my anger and frustration at the general direction of all NHL owners include our own Aquilinis. Retiring Bure's jersey is nice... but it wasn't Aquilini's decision btw; there's an "independent" board who decides. I think Bure's induction into HHOF is what stimulated the decision, not necessarily Aquilinis decision.

It's good to know he's spending some of the money he makes from concessions and merchandise and ticket pricing into what the fans of the city wants and that's competitive hockey. At least he's making an investment on our team to improve our hockey club and not keep all the money he makes. It's good to know that an owner actually cares about something he owns and not just look at it as if its another money-grabbing investment.

Archived