18 replies to this topic

#1 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,909 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

So as some of you know I'm a skier and I love to hit the mountain. Now normally last year I'd go up only on days when it wasn't snowing cause I only had all season tires but since my all season tires are starting to wear, I'm planning on just buying winter tires this season. (Then new all seasons in spring)

I found this Craigslist ad for 4 winter tires with alloys for $650

http://vancouver.en....3384927342.html

Now I drive a 97 Mazda MX6 with 15 inch rims so my tire size is P205/55R15 and the craigslist ad says the winter tires are 205/55/R16. So I believe that's a 16 inch rim. Would I still be able to get those wheels if they're on a bigger rim? The Wheel bolt pattern matches with 114.3 and they've been driven for 5000km's so I'm guessing they probably still have 75%-80% trim.

Or does anyone else suggest another place for winter tires, they're fairly expensive for my wheel size. Midas said around $1000 for tires, wheels and labor.
Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#2 aeromotacanucks

aeromotacanucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:09 PM

1 inch maybe will fit on your car, but can damage if you encouter obstacles at high speeds.

pay 1000 bucks for a set that you will use for one season seems a waste of money (unless you are a professional skier going everyday to the mouintain, or you are Kimi Raikkonen of Formula-1), $650 sounds more suitable...

if your tire is still on 75/80% you can use normally, just be carefull if you encouter a very sliperry asphalt or heavy snow. sometimes you may use chains to compesate the 5000kms use...

you can also use the "engine brake", it will increase your fuel use but it really works...

OR you can retrofit your tire, it´s like a repair but they add rubber on the missing points and re-shape your tire. on 90% it will make your tire like new but you can´t do this (retrofit) again...
Shup up and fly! you´re not payed to think, you´re payed to fly!

#3 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,685 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

If you increase the wheel size, you need to decrease something else...otherwise your speedo will be off...

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#4 aeromotacanucks

aeromotacanucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:25 PM

If you increase the wheel size, you need to decrease something else...otherwise your speedo will be off...

good point. you have to ajust the wheel sensor and the speedometer sensor...
Shup up and fly! you´re not payed to think, you´re payed to fly!

#5 JaGuaR

JaGuaR

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

You might have some rubbing issues with the wheel well but it should be very minor with just a 1 inch increase. The mileage and speedometer difference will be negligible, especially if you only use them during the winter.

This link has all the stats.
http://www.tacomawor...55r16-205-55r15

#6 qball

qball

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

As was previously mentioned, these tires will have a larger circumference than your stock tires - which will result in your speedo being off (low) by about 4%. It may seem like a small amount, but it really matters. The engineers designed the car as a complete package, and significantly changing one aspect of it can dramatically alter handling and performance.

Also, the bolt size & pattern are the least of your 'fit' issues. I would be more concerned with the backspace or offset of the wheels and clearance around brake calipers. The wheel bolt set that goes with the tires/wheels would be of absolutely no value for you, since Mazda uses a standard stud & nut system.

I would consider something like the Nokian WRG2. It's an all-season tire (100,000km tread wear warranty) but is rated for winter use. They're a good all-round tire, very capable in the dry and wet, and respectably decent on ice & snow - no, they're not as good as a dedicated, studded winter tire, but they're just fine if you're a reasonably competent winter driver. They're not cheap, but you'll save some money over time not having to change tires twice a year.

My $0.02
My goal in life is to become the kind of man my dog thinks I am...

#7 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

I bought the WR G2s last year for my Nissan and I would definitely recommend them. Solid in all conditions and the price wasn't too bad (Kal-Tire had them on sale at the time). I think it came out to around $700 after labour and taxes.

#8 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

It's only 1/2" difference in ride height, the change in speed is pretty much negligible. Like the other poster mentioned its the offset that could be more of an issue but most likely it will work fine. It's nice having them mounted on another set of rims too because mounting and balancing is not cheap.
Posted Image

#9 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,909 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

So 1 inch can potentially rub then? But I always see cars with stock 16inch rims that have been upgraded to 18-20 inch rims and it works fine?

I'm not so concerned with a change in the speedometer but will it mess with the computer long term when I switch back to the 15 inch all seasons?

How much are winter tires normally? Midas said about $1100 with labor and tires,

Edited by Armada, 11 November 2012 - 10:24 PM.

Posted Image

#10 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:46 PM

You could always try these places:

http://www.abbsrytire.com/

http://www.countrytirelangley.com/

http://www.lstires.ca/

#11 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:49 PM

https://shop.kaltire.../brandsearch/1/

These are the tires I just bought for my 2005 Acura EL, as I'm living in Kelowna but I needed something that isn's strictly a winter tire and could deal with rain and hydroplaning driving home to Victoria (like all the rain vancouver had mid-october, the highways were brutal all the way to Merritt). I don't remember the exact cost, but I got 4 steel rims with the 4 tires obviously at 54.99 or something like that, so it came out to about 200 a tire.
Seems expensive, but I figure it's more of an investment as they'll last me for years.

Plus, if you buy them through Kal Tire and ever get a flat, they'll fix it for you for free.

Depending on your wheel wells, those tires may rub. It's best to follow the correct tire size.

Edited by schlaBAM, 11 November 2012 - 10:50 PM.

Posted Image

XBL: canucks4lyfe

#12 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

So 1 inch can potentially rub then? But I always see cars with stock 16inch rims that have been upgraded to 18-20 inch rims and it works fine?

Exactly, they should be fine. We are only talking about a 1/2" difference in the radius. Plus you will save on mounting, balancing and tax.
Posted Image

#13 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,909 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

Exactly, they should be fine. We are only talking about a 1/2" difference in the radius. Plus you will save on mounting, balancing and tax.

Alright sounds good but I will be going to a tire shop in Richmond I know fairly well and see what they have to offer, also to see their opinion on a bigger sized wheel and tire. If I can't find anything good I'll go with the craigslist one which seems like quite the deal.

Thanks for the help and input as always guys.

Edited by Armada, 11 November 2012 - 11:56 PM.

Posted Image

#14 schlaBAM

schlaBAM

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:41 AM

https://shop.kaltire.../brandsearch/1/

These are the tires I just bought for my 2005 Acura EL, as I'm living in Kelowna but I needed something that isn's strictly a winter tire and could deal with rain and hydroplaning driving home to Victoria (like all the rain vancouver had mid-october, the highways were brutal all the way to Merritt). I don't remember the exact cost, but I got 4 steel rims with the 4 tires obviously at 54.99 or something like that, so it came out to about 200 a tire.
Seems expensive, but I figure it's more of an investment as they'll last me for years.

Plus, if you buy them through Kal Tire and ever get a flat, they'll fix it for you for free.

Depending on your wheel wells, those tires may rub. It's best to follow the correct tire size, even though it's highly unlikely that one inch will create rubbing.

Posted Image

XBL: canucks4lyfe

#15 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,909 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

So I'm passing on these wheels and tires.

I phoned a shop and they have tires that are a bit smaller but will work on my car. They're Nokian 195/55R15 for $510 after labor and tax.

The only issue is they'll be mounted on my current wheels so most likely i'll buy completely new rims in the spring.

Edited by Armada, 12 November 2012 - 12:05 PM.

Posted Image

#16 Offensive Threat

Offensive Threat

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

I phoned a shop and they have tires that are a bit smaller but will work on my car. They're Nokian 195/55R15 for $510 after labor and tax.

The only issue is they'll be mounted on my current wheels so most likely i'll buy completely new rims in the spring.

You could always just use your existing rims and remount each spring and fall.... that is expensive but so is a new set of rims. Unless you are willing to just use basic black steel rims during winter. Which are cheap. Also if you are in a condo or any place with minimal storage a set of 4 tires takes up a lot of space. Things to consider.

I had a taurus up till recently and living in a condo had nowhere decent to store a set of winter tires so I just bought winters that had a reputation for decent use the rest of the year and drove on those all year for 5 years. Almost 100,000 km and they still had decent tread left when I sold the car. Never hydroplaned. Worked awesome in winter. I dont remember the brand tho. The WR G2 tires others have mentioned sound exactly the same. An expensive tire that keeps you from having to buy a full set of rims and other tires is not an expensive tire.

Posted Image

#17 Pouria

Pouria

Canucks Second-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

$1000 for winter tires?? I would probably go down to the states and get them. I actually never have put winter tires on my car since I usually take transit if it snows badly and there might only be 1 week of snow in Vancouver throughout the whole year.

Posted Image

#18 Grapefruits

Grapefruits

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,833 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

Just remember that the road salt and sand is going to chew the crap out of your rims. But if you are looking to buy nice new rims in the spring to mount your Summer tires on, I'd say no big deal.

#19 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,909 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

$1000 for winter tires?? I would probably go down to the states and get them. I actually never have put winter tires on my car since I usually take transit if it snows badly and there might only be 1 week of snow in Vancouver throughout the whole year.

I'm not concerned about the small amount of snow in Vancouver but rather when I drive up to the mountains and Whistler.

Just remember that the road salt and sand is going to chew the crap out of your rims. But if you are looking to buy nice new rims in the spring to mount your Summer tires on, I'd say no big deal.

Exactly my plan, I might get something nice B)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.